Home Made Claymores

Oshia
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has anybody ever tried to make a claymore?
If you have, is there any chance of giving me some tips?
I've just ordered some rat traps on ebay, cheap as chips, I'm hoping to make one or two for as little money as possible because I'm a tight bastard. :)

There are various guides on youtube. The issue will be whether sites will allow you to use them. You might want to check with your local site before doing all the hard work.

Aye; they wont mind, if they do then I'll just flog it, its not gonna be some trash job that looks like its fallen off Steptoe's cart. :P

• Supporters

^^I'm not impressed with the range. The ready made ones fire their BB's easily twice the distance. Beefier springs methinks. Something off a car maybe.

Indeed, I would guess that stronger springs might be difficult to obtain and/or work with.

Could you maybe create an array of tubes each with its own spring propelling 4-5 bb's? You could then play with the arc of fire. A trip wire would pull out a pin allowing the front panel to drop exposing the tubes so they expel the bb's. It would need to be a sliding front panel rather than hinged so bb's are not deflected. You would either load it row by row from the front, or maybe with the front panel in place you would load the bb's from the back before clamping the rear panel (with attached springs) into place.

• Supporters

Except that if you had a load of tubes pressing BB's against the front plate with enough force to launch them say 10m, it wouldn't drop at all, unless it weighed a lot, in which case a simple trip wire wouldn't work as a trigger unless the case was really well stuck in the ground and the wire attached to something totally immobile. Even then it may take a good kick to pop it. I think that if you want to use multiple separate barrels, gas is the way forward.

If you use gas it becomes complicated to make. You would have to deal with valves and pressurised containers. You could I suppose mount a 40mm grenade in a box with a simple trigger mechanism but that defeats the point of trying to make a claymore cheaply.

Does an airsoft claymore have to fire anything? Could it not just open with a bang to display a message saying 'You're dead'?

A cigar box and a recordable greeting card should do the job for that. It would work on the same principle as grenades for most sites (5m radius etc) except it would be directional. Using this principle it would be economical to create a whole backpack of claymores and create one hell of a perimeter defence :D

Sounds like a lot of work, just buy one!

I'm sure it probably is a lot of work. I would also be willing to bet that the OP would end up spending almost as much trying to perfect the perfect claymore. Some people just like tinkering with stuff. I myself probably won't bother, but that doesn't stop me sitting here thinking about how I would do it.

I'm sure it probably is a lot of work. I would also be willing to bet that the OP would end up spending almost as much trying to perfect the perfect claymore. Some people just like tinkering with stuff. I myself probably won't bother, but that doesn't stop me sitting here thinking about how I would do it.

But I wouldn't be too impressed if he used the claymore on me and it breaks. I bet having a spring fired at your face huts a lot more than a plastic BB.

Sounds like a lot of work, just buy one!

£130 for a plastic claymore, no thanks, I'll knock one up thats half decent in a day and will cost no more than a few squids.

I like tinkering with things like this, I'm pretty handy I suppose, always have been; but I doubt I'll be going to the extremes this guy went to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53RHg79eGs

damm you now i want one again... might get a few mouse traps to tinker with to see if i can get a decent firing mech maby...

• Supporters

Mouse traps my hole. Hatchback door support springs and a line of Chinese spur gears out of upgraded gearboxes to gear an AEG motor down for extreme torque to pull the retaining pin :lol: probably wouldn't need any complex circuitry, the motor pulling the pin could be geared for the delay. Cheap radio controlled servo to trip a solenoid, job's a good'un...

aye more power vs hundreds of tiny claymores... start small build big. if only i could find a life size toy claymore to use as a shell... maby ill just talk to my army contacts...(just to get the front panel mind you...)

aye more power vs hundreds of tiny claymores... start small build big. if only i could find a life size toy claymore to use as a shell... maby ill just talk to my army contacts...(just to get the front panel mind you...)

Thats what I've been looking for myself bud, let me know how you get on.

got my traps(both mouse and rat) so i was planning to start this afternoon, but my niece has arrived so likely ill be babysitting.... :(

Still waiting on mine, I have some ply ready, I just need to know the size of the traps before I can start cutting the box shape.

Has anybody ever tried to make a claymore?

If you have, is there any chance of giving me some tips?

I've just ordered some rat traps on ebay, cheap as chips, I'm hoping to make one or two for as little money as possible because I'm a tight bastard. :)

If this thread was on any other forum....

• 2 weeks later...

heres a thought/something im trying to work at for the trigger mech if your thinking remote control detonation, and you probably have a few lying somewhere, remote control cars, and the simpler the better. link the motor up to the catch your planning on via a gear and boom. job done. well not quite but for the like of me who havent done circutry in 10+ years its probably the quickest route to get this to work... now i think i got that part figured i think i can get on with actually making this...

• Supporters

I think that the main problem you face with a motor is torque, but otherwise yeah, I think it is easily the simplest way to go. If you imagine how much pressure there will be between the the sprung arm/s and whatever pin holds them in place... I mean grease will help, but if it's going to have any power it'll be at least as difficult for the motor as pulling an AEG spring, so it'll need gears.

Archived