Patch help

gazm1
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title says

Can anyone tell me what size the union jack patch is when worn on a plate carrier in service? I could be wrong but I am sure i have seen the lads in Afghan wearing them on patrol but I cant find any good reference pictures.

• Supporters

Just had a look through my mates pics from "uncle stans" and only one of his unit is wearing a union flag patch at all. On an admin pouch (see pic second from right)

225293_210339768986783_7160608_n.jpg

Just had a look through my mates pics from "uncle stans" and only one of his unit is wearing a union flag patch at all. On an admin pouch (see pic second from right)

225293_210339768986783_7160608_n.jpg

Cheers mate

looks like i may be talking out of my arris!

• Supporters

Guys wear all sorts from what I've seen. Nobody who knows the difference between what's issued and what isn't actually cares, and those who care don't know.

There's obviously a lot of different union flag patches available from all kinds of places and the only ones I've seen issued are the small, full colour variants that used to come on CS95 and now go on the PCS blanking plates. I did see one velcro mounted on a bloke I was issuing ammo to last week but I don't think he would've got it from stores, more likely eBay.

• Supporters

Guys wear all sorts from what I've seen. Nobody who knows the difference between what's issued and what isn't actually cares, and those who care don't know.

There's obviously a lot of different union flag patches available from all kinds of places and the only ones I've seen issued are the small, full colour variants that used to come on CS95 and now go on the PCS blanking plates. I did see one velcro mounted on a bloke I was issuing ammo to last week but I don't think he would've got it from stores, more likely eBay.

Exactly my thoughts. Probably varies from unit to unit too. My mate (second left in the piccy) is a Para and the only patch they ALL seem to have is the ISAF one. The rest are more likely what they can get away with/fancy having. I'm sure I found a shot of my bud wearing a "pork eating crusader" patch somewhere....

• Supporters

Meh, this is airsoft so someone will try. But they'll be talking bollocks.

As far as afghan goes, the only thing I can think of are ZAP patches which generally have a very small flag. A quick google turned up a lot of places that make custom ones, so you could get one for a loadout that features a UF and your own details.

• Supporters

Yeah, some throbber is bound to come out with "my mates cousin, second removed, had a girlfriend once who knew a guy in the TA who saw someone with a union flag patch on their knee once, thats how they wear them in ghanners", or similar.

As CKinnerley said, the only ones issued are sewn onto the blanking panels for the velcro on PCS clothing, ZAP patches are manufactured in small numbers for units as they deploy but the placement of those is far from standard with some people preferring to wear them on sleeve pockets, others on the front of their osprey... I even heard of someone wearing one on their knee once, second hand info of course!

As for morale patches... they're definitely good to go, so much so that the unofficial unit patch of 3cdo brigade a while back was a custom job that just said "threaders". Understandable given their situation!

• Supporters

I tried to get a custom black on black ZAP made a while back but I was told that I'd have to wait until this coming spring for IRR thread to be available without license from the MOD.

• Supporters

@Gazm1: search hook and loop fastener not velcro b/c you'll get more choice and cheaper.

Archived