G&G Gen 3 M4 differences

bornleverpuller
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

getting close to getting my UKARA now, had some excellent advice on what to get as a start up but as I have been now playing almost 6 months I feel im going to splash out a little more than to just get a combat machine

looking here

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/G-G-GEN3.html

there is a lot of varients in the M4's that G&G sell but what is the actual differences with the model, are the internals all the same and it is purely what people think looks decent or by paying the extra 50-60 quid are you getting a better rifle?

Cheers

i have the top tech tr15 raider gen 2 great gun a bit short for woodland but holds up well gen3 have the mosfit fitted i think that is the only difference from what i have read all the internals seem to be the same on the m4 range different length of inner barrels .

• Supporters

All the Gen3 M4 variants are basically the same inside. Some may have slightly longer barrels, some slightly shorter. You pays your money and pick the one that looks best for you really.

Alternatively you could get a Gen 2 (pretty much the same but no MOSFET) and save some money.

• Supporters

In theory a longer barrel should give you more accuracy and a shorter one would give you a bit more velocity but honestly I don't think it makes THAT much of a difference.

• Supporters

Not sure if the Mosfet in the Gen3 is worth the extra 50-60 notes but it would potentially be better than NOT having one so I guess it comes down as much to your play style and where you want to play. CQB needs a shorter weapon for manoeuvrability, woodland would offer more opportunity for ranged shots so a longer barrel might be more suited but personally I'd say if your hop is set up right the difference in barrel length won't make all that much difference. It's not like your choosing between an M4 and a Barrett, just between different M4s. Consider the aesthetics though - do you like the look of the HK416 style T4-18 or a more traditional M4A1 style like the TR16 Carbine? Do you want a railed handguard for torches/lasers/sights? Do you want the full sized M16 rifle (TR16 A2) or do you want a modern adjustable stock?

All these questions probably have more bearing on the final decision because they are all basically the same inside.

• Supporters

In theory a longer barrel should give you more accuracy and a shorter one would give you a bit more velocity but honestly I don't think it makes THAT much of a difference.

in theory... maybe.

In practice it's almost completely the opposite, longer barrels (beyond a certain point) provide very little accuracy benefit, ammunition weight and hop-up consistency are by far and away the biggest factors. Additionally, shorter barrels generally are no less accurate but there's less space for the piston to push air into so you can lose FPS with a really short barrel, not that you'll notice though.

The gen3 has better gauge wiring, a high torque motor and an active braking mosfet, they're a significant jump from the gen2 in terms of internals.

That said, the best AEG money can buy (out of the box) is still a Marui recoil shock.

• Supporters

shorter barrels generally are no less accurate

I think that depends massively on what length and bore size we're talking about. I don't think we could tell by eye the difference in accuracy between say 363x6.03mm and 455x6.03mm, but I'm pretty certain that a long 6.08mm, say 509mm, will be noticeably more accurate than a short one, say 229mm. Air passing around the BB has a tendency to centre the BB so a longer barrel provides more opportunity for this effect. No substitute for a good hop rubber and nub though...

but there's less space for the piston to push air into so you can lose FPS with a really short barrel,

+1

not that you'll notice though.

I notice any range changes from even small FPS differences. In typical skirmish situations it's not so much the max range I'm concerned about, it's the flatter trajectory even 5-10 FPS more provides.

The gen3 has better gauge wiring, a high torque motor and an active braking mosfet, they're a significant jump from the gen2 in terms of internals.

Sounds well worth the extra money to me.

• Supporters

That said, the best AEG money can buy (out of the box) is still a Marui recoil shock.

I thought the Gen 2 had the wiring, motor and barrel upgrade anyway? The only difference on the Gen 3 is the Mosfet as far as I can see...

As for the Marui....I'm yet to be convinced that they're THAT much better. We're talking about a metric f*ck-ton of money!

• Supporters

I thought the Gen 2 had the wiring, motor and barrel upgrade anyway? The only difference on the Gen 3 is the Mosfet as far as I can see...

As for the Marui....I'm yet to be convinced that they're THAT much better. We're talking about a metric f*ck-ton of money!

gen2 do have better wiring and motors than gen1, but gen3 has better than gen2, they're getting incrementally better and as soon as they make their hop-up perfect G&G will be THE airsoft gun manufacturer.

As for the marui thing... til you've skirmished one it's hard to describe the difference in range/consistency, definitely a 'you have to be there' thing.

gen2 do have better wiring and motors than gen1, but gen3 has better than gen2, they're getting incrementally better and as soon as they make their hop-up perfect G&G will be THE airsoft gun manufacturer.

As for the marui thing... til you've skirmished one it's hard to describe the difference in range/consistency, definitely a 'you have to be there' thing.

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think my recoil shock was particularly out shooting a G&G top tech on saturday. My range was equal with obviously a much lower fps, but the accuracy wasn't stunningly better :-(

What weight of BB are you using in your recoil shock?

• Supporters

Can anyone who has read specific deets about the G&G Gen 2's and 3's remember where and give us a linky or three?

Without wanting to hijack the thread, also does anybody know of a before and after review of a TM Recoil Shock with an upgraded spring to bring the FPS up to 350-ish?

TM Recoil shocks' don't like powerful springs and high RPS. The System is already under a lot of stress from th recoil weight. But AFIAK,The G36 and AK line seem to like High FPS the most.

For the 416 and M4,for high FPS you will need to upgrade the piston,Motor,Receiver,castle nut,Buffer tube,gear set and the recoil weight spring.

A TBB is best for FPS boost on a recoil shock Some reports of 20 FPS gain. But there is a dip in accuracy. For accuracy,recoil shocks seem to like ORGA Widebores.

But there are reports of Japanese players getting them up to 320FPS with an M90 and TBB and they are working very well.

TM recoil shock IMO is best stock. It's designed and tuned for it's own stuff and it works damn well if you leave it alone. Barrel is the only thing I'd really upgrade.

• Supporters

Yeah, i just cant ever see myself forking over so much money for an AEG when people can nonchalently stroll out of the firing line before the BB gets there!

• Supporters

I use .25 normally and .28 when I can get them, the low fps is less of an issue than I thought it would be, at the extreme end of its range a .25 is actually going faster than a .20 would be!

Only alteration I've done to my 416/SCAR is a tightbore, 363mm on the SCAR and 247mm on the 416, got about a 25fps jump on my SCAR and about 5fps on the 416. Accuracy and range on both is very very good, certainly the match of most of the so called 'sniper' rifles at my local site.

• Supporters

TM Recoil shocks' don't like powerful springs and high RPS. The System is already under a lot of stress from th recoil weight. But AFIAK,The G36 and AK line seem to like High FPS the most.

For the 416 and M4,for high FPS you will need to upgrade the piston,Motor,Receiver,castle nut,Buffer tube,gear set and the recoil weight spring.

Depends how high you mean, the ARs and Scars are fine stock when using around 350 fps springs. Though they are all proprietary short springs so you have to buy eagle6 stuff. Though the recoil shocks do tend to shoot hotter than normal tm guns anyway- normally around 300-310 rather than the normal 280/290. High ROF though as you say isn't a great idea, though they will easily handle 7.4 lipos.

The generally best regarded setup is using a prommy 6.03 barrel with firefly soft hop buckings, though as you said the orga magnus stuff is supposed to be good as well but costs a lot more. Works well with .25s and .28s- the guarder .28s are very good in them.

So I didn't do my recoil shock TM g36k any favours by using 0.2 BBs then? I read an interesting article on this very forum about 320fps being the tipping point of going from 0.2 to 0.25 BBs. As my gun was tested at 295fps I thought .2 would be the correct weight.

so 0.28 BBs next time I play then, and in the future a barrel upgrade?

Just to go slightly back on topic .... I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same gun again even though I understand why people love the top tech g&g as they seem to perform really well in game.

I've yet to skirmish my gen2 G&G M933 but the motor and wiring upgrades are really noticeable in comparison to my Cyma MP5, same with the RoF and battery economy. I can squeeze out the same rate of fire for longer on the M933 (right up to a couple of seconds before the battery dies) than I can on the MP5- however, the M933 is not as accurate as I thought it would be in comparison to the MP5.

That may be due to the hop rubber needing to be worn in though, i've only put 600 odd rounds of 0.2 and 0.25 through it at the moment.

• Supporters

So I didn't do my recoil shock TM g36k any favours by using 0.2 BBs then? I read an interesting article on this very forum about 320fps being the tipping point of going from 0.2 to 0.25 BBs. As my gun was tested at 295fps I thought .2 would be the correct weight.

so 0.28 BBs next time I play then, and in the future a barrel upgrade?

Just to go slightly back on topic .... I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same gun again even though I understand why people love the top tech g&g as they seem to perform really well in game.

Heavier ammo = better range and accuracy with the sacrifice of BB speed in the close to mid range, beyond a certain distance 0.25 will actually be going faster than a 0.20 would. Even in a 250fps gun a 0.25 will outrange a 0.20.

Archived