TM VSR vs Well L96

Rylesy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey Guys

Been airsofting a couple of months now and looking to invest in a sniper as my next project for the foreseeable future (Currently using a G&P M16 & G&P M4 Spec Ops). I'm torn between getting a Marui VSR or a Well L96 but have little knowledge on any major differences between the 2 rifles, in all aspects such as performance, maintenance and upgrades. I'm just looking for a bit of friendly advice between the 2 rifles to which you guys hold a specific preference too and the reason behind, just to make my decision making a little easier and for my knowledge really for future references.

Any advice would be respected and helpful and thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post

Regards

Rylesy

• Root Admin

Both are incredibly upgradable, but I'd say you have the following differences:

Marui VSR:

• More reliable
  • Better shooter out-of-the-box
    • Class hop-up
    • Nice inner-barrel
  • It's a Marui. The externals will be pretty nice looking too

Well L96:

• Won't shoot as well out of the box
  • Plethora of upgrades available and a much-more rewarding end-product if you go out and spend a ship-load of cash on it

At the end of the day, if you don't want to spend £1000 at X-Fire (PDI) to make your L96 look sh*t-hot, then it's going to be VSR all the way. If you do choose to upgrade the VSR though, then you need to be careful that you don't let that TM magic out.

My thoughts: If you have the cash to burn, then perhaps consider a TM L115/AWS over an L96 - the externals are much nicer than the L96, and you'll still be able to spend all the money you'll ever make on incredibly expensive bits of metal from PDI :)

In summary: VSR for no upgrades; L96 for upgrades (although an AWS would be the better option over an L96).

Edit:

To better equip you for the times ahead, here's that site that will happily take all your money from you in exchange for amazing everything: http://www.x-fire.org/e.index.htm

From most sight's I've been looking at the only issue I've noticed from out the box is the FPS for the VSR?

• TM VSR Out the box average's 250 - 275 FPS
  • Well Warrior L96 average's 350 - 400 FPS

For an out the box VSR, what upgrades would I be looking at to achieve around 400 FPS?

Finance wise I would say I'm average (Maybe say £200 - £300 a month spare cash on average, outgoing's dependent) however lack of experience upgrading any Airsoft Rifle is my only downfall so even if I was looking to upgrade an L96 or even an AWS I'd probably have to take it to my local Airsoft dealer to do it for me (I think mine might be JD Airsoft)

:)

• Root Admin

FPS doesn't tend to matter. Hop-up is what's more important initially for making those long shots accurately; your VSR will hit close to as far as the L96 and with much more precision, but as far as an FPS upgrade goes, you can usually get away with simply installing a more powerful spring for about £35 or less (after shipping). Thing is, you then have to be ready to upgrade the piston and cylinder-head (or even the cylinder itself) and spring-guide so it can handle that extra FPS.

I hesitate to say this, but upgrading single-action spring-powered sniper rifles is ludicrously easy, and there're 101 tutorials out there on stripping down VSRs, L96s and the AWS; if you're looking for a starting project, than any of these would be fairly straight-forward to upgrade.

I'd hate to push you into anything too ambitious, but the general consensus on sniper rifles is that if you want something truly decent, then you need to be prepared to drop a lot of cash on them. The VSR will perform flawlessly out of the box though, and the Well L96 isn't too shabby either, but upgrades can be fitted with even the least bit of knowledge - it will be frustrating on your first try, but it's incredibly hard to actually break something through poor installation in a springer.

Edit:

Also, I forgot to mention that the Well L96 will take any Type 96 upgrades available from PDI. I've tested this myself. The reason I'd say go with the AWS is because the externals on the Well are never going to be great, and they're the one thing that's quite hard to find a decent replacement for.

Nah mate don't worry there's no feeling of being pushed into anything, the extra knowledge is more than enough to help me now & in the near future. I'm more pushing towards the VSR in personal opinion. The extra cash isn't really an issue, it may be over a period of months and an upgrade or 2 per month but again that's no issue.

Is there a suggestion you could put forward in relation to a more powerful spring for a VSR - Even if its a slight elevation in FPS that may not need a upgrade to the piston & cylinder head or cylinder itself, for maybe around 1 skirmish (10th of November is when I'm looking to get this ready by) and again any person suggestion towards a new Hop-up for the VSR?

This will be my first project that I will be putting a lot of effort into over a long period of time, that's why I've been looking for a good out of the box starter just until I can research a little more into upgrades in general.

• Root Admin

The hop is the one thing you need not upgrade first-off.

If you're looking for that FPS increase, then I referenced a link to PDI; they'll deliver in under 2 weeks, easily. PDI 330 springs are quite widely available, but they'll take your rifle up to 530 FPS, and also do an incredible amount of damage to the sear after just a short while without an upgraded trigger-box.

Again, PDI will provide everything you'll ever need to get the best VSR, L96 or AWS possible; hop-up units, trigger internals, cylinders, outer-barrels, spacers; you name it, they've got it.

Where are PDI Based? Is it UK or Japan?

Ignore that - Just had a poke around the site and saw they are based in Japan

• Root Admin

They're a Japanese firm. They sell a lot of their stuff through vendors here too, but you'd be hard-pressed to find some of their cooler stuff as it usually sells out within weeks.

I've bought from them on multiple occasions.

Edit:

If it's not clear on their website: You'll want a 140 spring or lower (a 200 will give you aprox. 430 FPS) or you'll do damage to the stock sear and/or cylinder plus probably exceed your sites FPS limit anyway.

My only issue now seem's to be finding a UK retailer that actually has a TM VSR in stock!

• Root Admin

Yep, although that only brings you up to 340 as it states. Laylax are too and excellent brand when it comes to single-action sniper-rifles. The 170% one they stock is going to take you over that 400 FPS limit, and I really wouldn't put such a spring in a TM because you'll wear that sear down much quicker.

150% would be perfect, or the 140 that PDI can sell you.

It's £18 for a 40 FPS increase; it's not bad, but Wolf are overpriced :)

Edit:

If this is your first sniper rifle then don't forget:

• Teflon-tape for cylinder-head seal
  • Grease (although I suspect you have some of that knocking around from your AEG)
  • Silicone for cleaning the barrel (again, you'll have some no doubt)

Additionally, you'll need a small set of pliers to open the cylinder head to fit that spring - don't pinch the air-nozzle, but open up the pliers and stick them in the two holes to either side of the head to unscrew it without having to buy a pointless £20 cylinder-head key.

Is it possible to simply upgrade that spring without having to upgrade anymore of the internals for the time being? Or is it better off to save for the entire internal upgrades in one go? For example after some reading up upgrading to the 150% spring this the outcome I've been told:

"Laylax PSS10 150 Spring for TM VSR-10
This will provide about 380fps with a .2g bb.
If you upgrade the spring you will also need:-
LAY-PT-PSS10HPP Laylax PSS10 High Pressure Piston w/ Silent Shaft
LAY-PT-PSS10PS Laylax PSS10 Piston Sear for VSR10 / G-Spec
LAY-PT-PSS10SGS Laylax PSS10 Spring Guide Stopper for VSR10 / G-Spec
LAY-PT-PSS10TS Laylax PSS10 Trigger Sear for VSR10 / G-Spec"

This suggests that upgrading the spring alone is not a wise idea?

• Supporters

Don't get the tm l96, the feeding mech is crap. Upgrades are also harder to come by over here unlike the Well.

The Well is as common if not more so than the VSR and so parts for them are everywhere and very easy to get.

Any sniper rifle needs a good few hundred pounds of upgrades anyway- the tm is just a higher initial outlay that won't feed reliably enough even once upgraded.

I still strongly disagree with proffrink though. Even VSRs need to be upgraded to be worth owning. On a sniper rifle FPS does matter, end off. That's not to say that a good hop isn't important however. Every sniper rifle needs upgrades- preferably laylax or pdi.

Upgrade power and trigger unit first.

Snipers are a moneysink. Everyone else pretty much outlined all the stuff you need to do,though I'd suggest upgrading hop and barrel first then the trigger and power.

If you have the chance to have a stupid high FPS on a gun go for it. I have an accuracy build due to Irish 1 joule law but you guys can go up to 500FPS. Slap in a nice 90 degree mech and piston for max reliability. The 45 degree mech is only good for low power.

• Supporters

Never said it shouldn't be upgraded, but if you can't any money into it, then a VSR would do you better; I think I said that in my first post, in fact.

In that case I misunderstood what you were conveying so I apologise- I only briefly read through so sorry about that.

@OP its worth Teflon taping your hop rubber to the barrel too. And don't forget to usehigh quality heavy ammo. All the upgrades are wasted if you use lighter than .36's. Also don't mix parts from both PDI and laylax, they're made to different specs (apart from the barrel, go pdi regardless) and buy a few roles of electrical tape to make barrel spacers from.

The reason I wouldn't upgrade hop and barrel first are simple: the standard tm hop unit and rubber are fine as they are and the barrel is OK. With barrel spacers and Teflon tape they're perfectly usable stock.The important ppart is getting a high enough FPS to use heavy bb's which is more beneficial and will see you fit till you can get a better barrel.

On anything else I too would do hop and barrel first but the stock TM ones are perfectly usable.

What are WELL VSR's like to upgrade? Are there many bits out there considering its a well version?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got it all sorted now :)

Got a TM VSR-10 Pro

Upgraded to a Laylex 150% Spring, Laylex Cylinder, Laylex Tightbore Barrel & a Speed Sear

FPS has gone from 280 - 430 with .20's and around 340/345 with .30's

Range and accuracy has now vastly improved.

Thanks for all your input and help everyone :)

Archived