Mid cap jams help please :(

mattsa80
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm currently running a set of 10 ares 85 round mid caps. They've been great but having only used them a couple of times some have started to jam. It is now six out the ten jammed up and unusable. The spring seems to be stuck I'm guessing as there's no force pushing any bbs out. I cant seem to free them up with wire and they have all been properly oiled before use. The first day was amazing when they all worked :D

Any advice/help greatly appreciated, cheers, Matt

Take them apart and clean them, remove the spring and clean the channel as best you can, high pressure air line works for me, the other thing I have seen happen is the plastic part that sits on top of the spring can be damaged and get stuck, they will probably work better if you remove that completely, it's an old trick, especially on G&P mid caps that always suffer the same problem

Is there a large screw at the bottom? If so, try undoing that and the spring should come out with the plastic bit at the top attached. You can then try putting a bit of cloth soaked in silicon oil on the top of the plastic bit and then feed that back into the mag until it comes out the top, so oiling the whole feed tube. However, that may not work. I have a couple of metal midcaps that can be split completely and, despite stripping, cleaning and oiling mine, they still get jambed up after about 40% of the rounds have fed through, although a quick wack on the side of the mag seems to jolt it clear. Other than that, not sure how to cure it. Daft thing is, my dirt cheap Star plastic midcaps feed absolutely fine every time without any regular maintenance.

Archived