Please help me identify a random RS SVD related object...?

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I just received the unissued SVD mag pouch I ordered from Russia. It is exactly as described, even with that authentic "not quite mould, not quite sweaty feet, not quite boiled cabbage" pong of reasonably well kept stores. I was however a little surprised to find this inside:

n8iq.jpg

Object is 80mm x 5mm / 1.5mm completely cylindrical.

peq1.jpg

It came wrapped in that unmistakeable Izhmash paper but without the usual earwax stylee grease and, as you can see, it has suffered a little for that with small pocks of corrosion. This leads me to believe that it probably isn't a moving part of a rifle, because Izhmash are famous for not skimping on the earwax for those. But all the same, I'd have expected them to do the same to any metal thingumabob that left their factory - there was plenty more than necessary on the metal parts of an AK stock I recently acquired, for eg. Any ideas my friends?

• Supporters

Yeah Dave, that makes sense, thanks. I really wouldn't know... hence the thread lol! I'm just hoping someone will recognise it for certain I spose.

Done a bit of research for you Ian, It's part of the cleaning kit from what I can work out from this diagram! See bottom right corner for the "Cleaning something"

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/41-dragunov-fpk-psl/108221-high-rez-svd-parts-diagram.html

Its right under the second pouch

• Supporters

Thanks for that, Ted. Great find! But...

cfe0.jpg

To me that looks like "Быколотка" which doesn't translate, but if the first letter is "B", Russian "V", so it sounds like "Vykolotka", it translates as a noun "Planer". Dunno, but doesn't anything which planes need a blade?

So I've searched it with a Russian "B" and the only reference which came up is in a document called "Assault Rifle AN-94 Technical Description and Operating Instructions" - promising, eh? No. It's a scribd.com document and Google Translate doesn't touch the photo's of the manual in question, but a translation of the bit that came up in the search result goes like this: "Bykolotka should not be bent n rivet at the end. Do both and should not ierehodnika" - brilliant, a fucking typo!

But it does seem to suggest that a bykolotka is the thing and, since bending it at the end of a "rivet" is a possibility, I'm thinking Dave may be right. The word google has translated as "rivet" actually means "cold-worked" and the synonyms offered are "case hardened", "rivet", & "riveted" - which strikes me as odd because rivets aren't usually cold-worked or case hardened, or they'd be bloody difficult to put in without damaging the stuff being joined. I'm thinking it may also be a jargon word which means something like "hardened steel pin".

Any further help would be appreciated though, because I don't yet feel entirely satisfied that I know exactly what it is. At least it ought to be useful for poking the pins out of the top of AK mags when they need disassembling, and my issue AK cleaning kit is not complete, so it can fit in there for the purpose of nerdism...

'виколотrа' is a punch,from the size looks like a pin punch. Comes from the word 'виколоти' which means to hit/punch out.

If you ever need translation services,I'm at the ready :D though my Russian's a bit rusty,many words are similar enough to Ukranian so I can translate.

I love it when a plan comes together *takes a hit of the cigar he's been saving for this moment, then begins to violently choke before coughing up an internal organ because he doesn't smoke*

assuming the pouch in the background is the one it came with then id also assume its for punching extra holes in the leather, which would make sense with the last translation...

• Supporters

^^Possible I spose, but I don't think that goes with what we can understand (excluding UTJ from our collective ignorance) from the excerpt from that manual above.

• Supporters

Might not necessarily be for an SVD. Clearly it's a russian made tool but companies which produce firearms often also use their facilities to manufacture tools (or vice versa).

You don't tend to see a great number of spring or roll pins in small arms construction, the AR and SA80 series have a couple I can think of but not a great number and there's even less in Kalashnikovs, they're held together with leaded rivets (the proper ones that is). Larger weapons yeah, the Mauser 27mm cannon has hundreds of the things, or at least it feels that way when you're taking one apart.

Ian, that manual you linked for the AN-94 does detail the use of a punch that looks identical to what you have there on pages 14 and 17. Also seems to be shown in the cleaning kit on page 24. I'm not sure what level of deconstruction they're showing on pages 14-18, it looks a bit complex for a field strip, but then the AN-94 suffers with being an entirely too complicated weapon given the manner in which they implemented the 2-rnd burst.

Archived