Tokyo Marui AEP hop rubber - where? And Vz61 upgrade chat.

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I need a decent hop rubber for the JG Skorpion which is even now winging its way to me from Poland. I've read that the TM AEP hop up bucking does a very good job, which is no surprise since the JG is a TM clone, however I can't find anywhere that has one in stock.

I'd be happy with any decent rubber that will fit, but I'd rather not have to pay £22-odd for a Firefly one. Even so, the only Firefly ones I've been able to find in stock are the hard type. Until I figure out the intricacies of slot car racing so I can discover a better 370 size motor with which to replace the stock JG one, so that I can get a decent rate of fire with a stiffer spring, I will be constrained to whatever FPS a PDI 6.01x127mm barrel provides with the stock gearbox (not more than 310 at the very most I'm sure), thus I would need a Firefly soft rubber, if I have no option but spending silly money.

So, does anyone know where I can get one? Does anyone know much about slot car racing? Also has anyone here upgraded one of these guns before, whether TM, the JG clone, the Well clone, or the ASG branded Well clone, or have any info or suggestions?

One thing I have considered for CQB use, rather than sniper backup which will be its main role, is using one of those barrel extension suppressors which are made to increase the FPS without running a new longer inner barrel inside. I think I remember reading about something like that for a MAC-10 and possibly a MK23 also. Any clues?

• Supporters

I was under the impression that AEP's used VSR bucking's? (i may be wrong)

have you considered a Lipo? that should up your ROF abit ;) have a look in my cyma G18c review thread for info (if its the same style of battery etc)

• Supporters

Aha! Well that would make sense then, because VSR buckings are everywhere :) thanks, I'll have to look into that.

Yeah, I'm thinking of rewiring it to a LiFe 9.9V pack with the SHS upgrade gears, but I want to measure the space available inside the pistol grip before I decide. I might go with a 7.4V LiPo to be going on with though. I saw a YT of a bloke explaining how he'd done the latter and it looks simple enough, whereas if I have to stuff a bigger lump in there, getting a fuse in as well might not be so easy without dremmelage.

So the CYMA G18c is a TM clone? And that is the same gearbox as other TM AEP's?

• Supporters

It's a clone, the external finish isn't as good but it works. i am not 100% sure to be honest, I cannot see them making a new gear box for every gun.

Also patrol base have g18c AEP's forsale at a silly price (ASG branded, but its the same gun).

Loads of size options of lipo's on hobby kings webby ;) dirt cheap too.

• Supporters

Oooh almost forgot, it you do change your hop bucking, you may also have to change the barrel. The reason is the make the barrel alignment spline 180 degrees out, so the gun is not a 100% copy. It's no great hardship adding a 6.03 while its all apart ;)

• Supporters

I've just bought a PDI 6.01mm barrel for it and it does look a bit funky.

aep_pcs.jpg

So do you think I'll be able to get a VSR bucking which fits this opposite spline arrangement?

Thanks for the reminder about Hobby King - I went to them for the USB thingy that allows my lappy to monitor my battery charger, but I haven't thought about them since.

• Supporters

Why not try and R-hop it? That is, if the hop unit works in a way that would allow enough pressure to be placed onto the hop window for it to work.

That could work wonders for your range and accuracy though, and it'll remove any worries about those dodgy, non-standard grooves on the top of the barrel as well.

It'll just be a pain in the arse. Because, well, R-hop.

• Supporters

I thought R-hop is just for lifting heavy sniper BB's?

• Supporters

I've just bought a PDI 6.01mm barrel for it and it does look a bit funky.

aep_pcs.jpg

So do you think I'll be able to get a VSR bucking which fits this opposite spline arrangement?

Thanks for the reminder about Hobby King - I went to them for the USB thingy that allows my lappy to monitor my battery charger, but I haven't thought about them since.

With a replacement barrel and bucking you should be fine, it's only the standard ones that are funky (so to avoid copy right laws etc on some clones)

• Supporters

Hmmmm... that pic is the PDI barrel which is on its way from Japan to me, so I need a rubber to fit it...

• Supporters

Well, what has me confused is that, on the same page, PDI VSR barrels don't have this opposite spline, only their AEP barrels. So I'm guessing that a standard VSR rubber won't fit this barrel I have ordered. Right?

• Supporters

^^Well yeah, I'm used to a couple of different languages which emanate from that isle of technology: Rolandese and Yamahanian and experience tells me that I'm best off asking around for the wisdom of those whom have already put in the trials and made the errors, unless what I need to know can be decoded from a sequence of menu screen diagrams whilst totally ignoring and text which may accompany them.

Archived