Tactical light

Cheeky vimto
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm looking at sticking a light on my mp5. I've fitted a rail on the gun and like using a foregrip. I was wondering if anyone uses a foregrip with the light built into it or do most people attach a light separate. Also is 200 Lums bright enough?

If you have a light and it's got strobe function where did you get it and how much was it?

XTAR TZ20 flashlight has strobe and 3 brightness settings as well as a SOS function.

I really love this flashlight due to its quality. You do have to buy a charger and batteries as well. It comes with a good warranty as well.

You can get the flashlight for £30 and then I can't remember how much the charger and batteries were. You may need a mount as well. (20mm)

and yes 200 lumen is bright enough. I think the one I suggested is 200 Lumens. but it is definitely bright enough.

the beauty of the foregrip ones are that they have an integral paddle switch.

Not cheap though - about £40 on Ebay.

My taclight is 65 lumens and plenty bright enough.

the beauty of the foregrip ones are that they have an integral paddle switch.

Not cheap though - about £40 on Ebay.

My taclight is 65 lumens and plenty bright enough.

That's what I liked about them. I think they make the gun look tidier. I want a light that pretty much blinds opponents as I play in the dark a lot and it gives a huge advantage.

I have both types!

SCAR has a element M900 that is all built in and looks bad ass! the SR has a cheap torch in element 5 position mount with pressure pad or tail switch.

Both work as well as the other.

Just personal preference really.

• Supporters

I have a C8 which puts out about 900 lumens, but the LED in it can put out 1600 lumens, which i'm hoping it will do when the extension tube arrives so I can run it at 8.4V. It's got a standard 25mm body & 40mm bezel so it goes in standard high scope mounts, so I expect it would go in one of those foregrip+mount combos. Mine came with both push button and pressure pad switch, but I've seen them without the tail. Fortunately you can get the end cap with tail for a couple of quid on ebay. It does the standard 3 brightness, strobe & SOS and trust me, the strobe is fvcking intense.

As it came it takes 1 x 18650 battery which can be bought in 3.7V or 4.2V although I'm not certain there really is much difference. You could buy a charger, single or double, or do what I've done and buy a plastic battery tray which takes 2 x 18650's for RC cars and a LiPo balance cable so I can use the charger I use for my gun batteries. To fit in one of those grip/mount thingies you'd have to stick with 1 battery, but it'll be plenty bright enough for what you want.

You could get a Trustfire one for about £20+ or use your loaf and get an Ultrafire one which tend to bid up to about £13-£15 but sometimes go cheaper - here's one with 8hrs left. If you search for them, make sure that the one you go for has the XML T6 LED, not the Q5 and this is why I mentioned your loaf - these torches use exactly the same LED as the more expensive ones and the bodies are the same aircraft grade aluminium.

I've got another CREE XML T6 LED torch which has a 30mm body and about 35mm zoomable bezel, which I got for about £7 from China. That one puts out less light than the C8 with its bigger reflector, but you can focus it. Bit more of an arse to find mounts for, but I dunno, maybe those foregrip thingies do take 30mm torches. So far I haven't found a pressure pad switch for it, but it has the added bonus of remembering which setting it was last used on and also a 'soft switch' so pressing the button lightly advances it to its next mode without switching it off. It can also be run from 3 x AAA batteries as well as 1 x 18650. TBH this one is probably a better size for an MP5 - linky although when i searched for that I came across one with a 25mm body here, so it would take a standard cheap pressure pad switch.

I just use a http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FEGYCO/ with some tape wrapped around it so that it's thick enough for a cheap rail mount I picked up from my local site for £5. Didn't see any need to fork out a billion pound on a light when I can get the same thing for a tenner. And you can focus the beam.

That's what I've had to do for tonight, can't play without a light anymore!post-8040-0-59065200-1381937988_thumb.jpg

Archived