CO2 - In gas or not ?

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have read that with GBB guns using propane etc, you should leave some gas in the mags as it benefits the seals.

I have now read that with a CO2 GBB gun, you should remove the 12g canister when the gun is not being used as it benefits the seal.

Are these both right ?

• Root Admin

Yeh, remove it.

The advice with duster/HFC, green (and arguably propane) is that you leave a small amount in there just to keep the seals closed so no dust gets in. The issue with CO2 is that you don't have the option to just leave a very low-pressure amount of the gas in there, and so leaving it in will destroy your O-rings.

Shouldn't be much of a problem as, becuase you're using CO2, you'll be maintaining your mags more regularly anyway given that there's no silicon in there.

• Supporters

The reason I was told to remove co2 canisters from my WE mags was to stop the canisters from getting stuck in place. That was from Iain at milspec.

Sorry to disagree proffrink, but if you use decent 12g co2 canisters they should have silicone oil in them to keep everything lubed etc

• Supporters

I can see sticking being an issue with some guns, but quite often it's possible to either disassemble the mag to get at the capsule from the sides, or to just be able to access the sides anyway; like with CO2 M1911 magazines, the capsules are wider than the mags are, so getting them out is a doddle.

The only way they'd ever stick, would be via the walls of the mags catching the capsule to the point where there's too much friction for it to just tip out when you turn the mag upside down. You'd have as much trouble getting it out when it was still gassed, as when it was completely empty, whether it'd been left fastened in there for months, or not.

I think Proffrink is probably more likely to be right with the seals being under too much pressure to last if they're held under it for too long. I know from experience that CO2 mags tend to be quite shit because of the lack of silicone in the gas anyway, none of mine ever lasted more than 10 capsules, even with consistent maintenance.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that taking them out and dousing the mag's internals in silicone oil at the end of every skirmish day can't be anything other than a good plan.

You obviously don't have a WE M4 with co2 magazines.

They stick almost 50% of the time during a days airsofting. Yes you can take the outer shell off the m4 magazines but not quickly during a game. You'd probably loose the tiny screw.

Also if you leave the bulb in for too long it distorts the seal.

Archived