A&k m249 or g&p m249???

2506 bloke
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys I am going to buy a m249 but I wondering if it is worth spending just shy of £600 on a g&p one (which is a lot of cash) or saving some money on the a&k one and spend just shy of £400.

I am not quite sure which one to go for the budget or the quality, please let me know what you guys are thinking.

http://www.airsoftworld.net/fn-m249-para-airsoft-support-gun-with-retractable-stock.html (a&k)

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_394&products_id=2111 (G&P)

Cheers dom

This has been discussed before I think. Certainly there are posts about the A&K as I was looking at it. There was a very good post in the last day or so explaining the differences between the Mk1 and Mk2.

• Supporters

G&p have better externals and hop (or so I have read), but unlike the real steel version they cannot take stanag mags.

The a&k has problems with the trigger(switch arm slightly too long), hop (didn't work and needs a better nub), and some times box mag (all very easy to fix and loads of info on the web etc) but it can and it dose take stanag mags (as its a clone of the classic army m249). And it's cheaper.

I just placed an order on the A&k m249 just 2 houers ago ... But hey, i'm an airsoft tech so i gues i shouæd be able to adress the internals ... So personaly i realy hope it's the right one to get... Personaly it was the stick mag option that just pulled me towards it...

• 2 weeks later...

Im tending to shy towards the G&P one.

I can get a bit of discount which should get it under £500 - its just a question of which one as there are quite a few versions.

Incidentally, a few places have the CA MK46 in stock and its only £390 so quite a bit cheaper than the G&P one. What are the cons ?

As I said in another post, I love my CA M249 MK46 SPW, JD airsoft and Pro Airsoft sell them.

Also, (from what I have read) unlike the A&K or G&P that use the Gen2 the CA uses a reinforced GB that was designed for the M249 so 'should' last longer

Hi all i have recived my A&K m249 (Para version) .. And it has (as most of them) a trigger problem...

After doing som tech work (disassemble the hole gun) i found that most of the problem can be corrected by screwing the "trigger screw" just ½ turn down, and giving the electrical trigger (the rod sticking out the bottom of the bearbox) a small extra twist down (to compensate for the trigger screw)... This helps allot (but don't fix the problem) .... But a mosfet (yep thats all) installed (limits the amps over the trigger switch) that fixed it completely :-) I think the main issue with the gun and trigger is that when drawing high amps over the relative small 15-20 amp trigger switch it "burns" the 2 triggers together, and the spring is not always strong enough to pull it apart.... But installing a mosfet does the trick :-)

When I'm done (I'm giving it a respray, and a full tuneup) I will post some more details and guides on my web page.

http://AirsoftTech.Dk/Guides.cshtml?Page=AKm249Para_Page1

Ps. Before adding in the mosfet, I was able to run like 8-10 full (2000 rounds) box mags throue the gun before the trigger started to develop problems. So out of the box it woks fine, but with time i can give you trigger problems ...

Another note: Cleaning the trigger contacts (fixing the problem temporarly) can be done by a few simple steps that most people can folow. 1. Take out gearbox (2 screws and push out a metal rod). 2. Remove the electrical trigger box from the gearbox (2 screws not need to open the box it self). 3. Pop open (use a flat head screwdriver) the electric box and clean off the small black burns .....

If you are planing to get a mosfet anyways (for upgrades or lipo usage protection) you can safely get the A&K version and save some money. If not be prepared to open the gun and clean the trigger every 10000 - 20000 bb's ...

Note that I have only tested one gun, so some may be worse some better .... But that's my eksperiance ...

Well I have taken the plunge on the G&P M249 and its on order as a Christmas present. Ive put about half towards it and the various members of my family are chipping in the rest, instead of buying me socks, bottles of strong spirits etc. Bit of a strange gift for a day that proclaims peace and goodwill to all men, but there you go.

G&P M249 arrived today but only got a quick hold before my wife packed it off to Santa.

They are not a cheap gun and it amazes me that there is no manual either in the box or on their website.

Unfortunately, there aren't any out of the box reviews on You Tube either to provide guidance.

It looks like the box mag allows both the feed motor and the gun to run off the same battery.

Its just a question of which voltage now.

The retailer recommended a minimum battery size of 2200mAH.

As i said in an ealier post i have the A&K version (so not the GP) ... I have made a complere dissasembly http://airsoft.spells.dk/Guides.cshtml?Page=AKm249Para_Page1 and after that I have repainted it and done a complete upgrade (Spring, motor, trigger, wires, battery etc.) ... So keep in mind that I don't have your exact version ...

Personaly i thing you should go for a Lipo battery. It's capable of delivering more amps for the motor. The A&K version don't pull that many amps compated to other guns with same spring load. So it should not burn the trigger as much ... And go for a 7.4 volts so you don't break the gun (burn contacts, or break gears / piston) ... I would say around 1800 mah. Don't go below 1200....

If you stick with NiMh batterys just jo with as high amps as you can fit in the gun... (But stay at 9.6 volts or below) ... In my gun A&K m249 para i can fit a 1500 mah 9.6 volts ...

A larger battery in terms of capacity wont do any harm - its just a waste of money and extra weight, but of course it wont discharge so deeply. As I said, the BB feed motor runs from the main battery as a fused parallel feed, so it will use more power than a gun with a clockwork feed.

The question is whether that motor can also work from 7.4V as I believe its designed for a 9V primary cell. There is a small PCB but I don't know if it regulates the feed motor to 6V or something similarly low.

Thanks for the link but I don't want to strip the gun down, just use it without breaking something due to ignorance.

A larger battery in terms of capacity wont do any harm - its just a waste of money and extra weight

It will last longer ... ;-) But then again if you recharge between each play, then yes "waste of ... ". Personaly i often play an overnighter Saterday morning to sunday eavening so i like to have the extra mah's...

The question is whether that motor can also work from 7.4V as I believe its designed for a 9V primary cell. There is a small PCB but I don't know if it regulates the feed motor to 6V or something similarly low.

In the A&K version the motor is a verry small one runing at 5 volts ... And it's the same in my m4 box mag ... So i would think its the same on the GP as well (using a 5 volts regulator)... But test the motor supply voltage with a volt meter .. If its running 5 volts or below you should be save with the 7.4 ...

Archived