Lighting Pyro

TBoB leavethebagin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For those of you who buy the odd bit of pyro you've probably had a few duff ones, mean to save the striking cap off good ones that can be lit and don't end up doing so - or when you go to use the cap a second time there's no striking friction there anyway.

If so are there any alternate, safe, ways of lighting pyro? I've got an ammo tin half full of ones that came with duff striking caps or have fallen off.

I was thinking a flint striker similar from camping? Or a naked flame?

For obvious reasons I have tried as I value my hand but I'm sure someone out there with a little bit more Airsoft experience or scientific know how about pyro can shed some light.

Thanks.

• Supporters

cigarette lighter works for me, the fuse on an airsoft pyro is effectively a big match anyway. Of course, 'cooking' pyro is retarded at the best of times but whenever I use a lighter to ignite pyro with a duff striker I always make sure to get rid ASAP.

• Supporters

one thing i have found is the new pull pin smokes from enola gaye is that if you have a duff one that the pins breaks on how can you safely still use it? there is the fuse on the inside underneath a plastic sheath but would it be safe to expose that?

Good question - I've been wondering the same about the pull pin grenades from TLSFx.

• Supporters

I've got some experience that is relevant here: if you're like me, the instinctive way to light a lighter is holding it vertically with your fingers and operating it with your thumb, then holding it still and bringing whatever is to be lit to the flame...

This is not the way to proceed with pyros. If you do you will discover, as I did, that when the fuse ignites the extremely hot phosphor and whatever flame jets out that it will burn right through the thumb of even relatively decent gloves and cook the nail and nail bed. Not a terrible injury, I mean the nail grew back fine after the knackered bit came off and the scab healed, but it bloody hurt!

Of course a moment spent thinking about what would happen before I did it would have revealed to me all I needed to know, but the reason I draw your attention to it is that, while I have been guilty of many dick-moves in my life, I'm by no means a pillock. I did it in the heat of the moment and so may you...

If the striker fails to light the fuse after the 2nd attempt, my experience is that it's had it. I've started carrying half the sliding lid of a box of Cook's Matches, which gives me 2 1"x2" strikers which are loads better than the crappy efforts on pyros. We've discussed this a little before and somebody said that a mate of his stuck a piece of Cook's Matches striker to the side of his shotgun for easy access, which sounds great for indoors or rain free woodland.

When I've had to resort to a lighter, since the barbecued thumb episode but before the advent of the Cook's Matches plan, I hold the pyro at about 45 degrees to the vertical and bring the flame to it from underneath, so that when it ignites, the fuse flame burns upwards away from both hands. I'd encourage all of you, no matter which alternative method you go for, to consider in which direction the fuse will burn...

Also, although they are generally not at all cheap, Pyrohide & Kevlar gloves are the way forward when it comes to fvcking about with pyros. You could let a MK IX go off in your hand wearing those and get nothing worse than a slapped/stingy feeling. I always feel in a bit of a hurry to get rid of a lit pyro when I'm wearing other, or no, gloves, especially those light blue MK5's which don't seem to have much consistency in fuse times. This hurrying doesn't make for good throws...

• Supporters

problem is there isnt an exposed fuse on the new enola gayes

Oh there'll be a bit you can set fire to if you rip enough of the fancy crap off the top ;)

I mostly use Thunderflashes, and I swear the caps will fall off the top of those if you so much as look at them funny. Once I went to chuck one and noticed that the cap was nowhere to be found. Luckily I managed to find a discarded one on the floor but by that point it was too late. Bringing a striker strip from a box of matches with me like Ian said sounds like a good idea to avoid that happening again.

Archived