Oi Oi!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ello all, new to all this!

Been paintballing a few times and loved it and after seeing a few vids on youtube and pissing about with my mates m4, decided I'm gonna have a crack at this airsoft!

Would this be a good starting gun? http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_403_494&products_id=6076

Certainly looks the part and I've read it's a very good gun for the money?

Bit of a noob question I know, but what's the crack with the springs they are offering in the link? make the gun more powerfull? more tuneable?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel.

• Supporters

Welcome to the forums :) And yes, that's a very good beginner rifle. I and a few other mates have owned a Combat machine and they never failed us.

The spring options are to boost or lower the FPS (Feet per second) higher FPS moves the BB faster, whilst lower FPS makes the BB move slower. But I'd leave those upgrade options seeing as the M4 will shoot fine out of the box.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/articles/21c/springs.htm (Just a little chart about FPS upgrades,)

• Supporters

Welcome to the forums, mate.

You are probably best reading @least the pinned topics in the Law section of the forum first.

Here is my guide to getting started.

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

I've been doing a bit of homework the last few days so I think I've got the jist of the rules and regs regarding owning/buying the guns and such, but ofc there is much to learn :)

Will probably be a little while until I have the funds to buy that CM16, so I have plenty of time to dig a bit deeper and decide if it is the right gun for me to start with.

As I said in my original post,I've had a play with my mates M4 which is very similar in terms of looks (think he said his has a "tight bore" barrel in it though?) which from what I can make out give a small fps boost and increase the accuracy?

Any of you guys have/had this specific rifle? If so, what weight bb's would you recomend? I'm thinking either .23's or .25's would be good for accuracy?

Highly recommend that gun, it's my first and currently only rifle. Never had any problems with it and good straight out of the box. You'll see combat machines recommended on this form so much you'd think we're getting a commission on them.

Tight bore barrels are barrels where he hole is smaller so the BB has less of an ability to move around in the barrel whilst being fired, making your shots a bit more accurate, increasing the range a bit maybe, and might increase FPS by a smidge.
The heavier the BB, the more accurate the shot and the better the range. I think .25 is pretty much standard.

• Supporters

A tightbore can increase the FPS a lot. For a long barrelled rifle, say 450-590mm, reducing the bore from 6.08 to 6.03mm will give a boost of about 30FPS and reducing that 6.03 to 6.01mm will give another 30FPS boost, approximately. So literally 60 FPS if you change a stock M16 barrel for a Madbull Ultimate 6.01mm TBB - if that gun, out of the box, is firing at about 336FPS with an M100 spring, you'll have to downgrade the spring, probably to an M85, to keep it under 350FPS, the usual hard limit for AEG's.

An M4 usually has a 363mm barrel, but the FPS boost isn't linear. It's also different for different barrel makes, so for eg a PDI 6.05mm barrel may out perform a Madbull Black Viper II 6.03mm TBB. The maths suggests that an M4 ought to get 24 FPS out of a standard TBB upgrade, but I think that in practice it's less - maybe 20. They usually fire at about 325-8 out of the box, so upgrading to a 6.03mm TBB should be just ok without a spring change.

Jeez, goin by that then Ian, it shouldn't be too hard to get one of them to over 400fps? I know it ain't legal and you ain't gonna use it at a site, but it's doable....500 prob doable with an auto...

Not that I'm thinking of doing it, 350 is plenty and most places don't permit that power with an auto anyway, so kinda pointless unless ya just blasting targets in the back garden!! lol.

Jeez, goin by that then Ian, it shouldn't be too hard to get one of them to over 400fps? I know it ain't legal and you ain't gonna use it at a site, but it's doable....500 prob doable with an auto...

Not that I'm thinking of doing it, 350 is plenty and most places don't permit that power with an auto anyway, so kinda pointless unless ya just blasting targets in the back garden!! lol.

Well its a bit pointless to go over 400, most sites have a rule of 328 FPS (+5%) (as for example my local site)

Well yea, I said that mate,just saying what is possible with them? I'm guessing the higher the number with the spring = more power? so a m160 spring with a 6.01mm barrel?

From Ian told me, barrel and spring but for what kind of I guess more professionals will have to tell you xd - which I suggest asking Ian :P

I was told for my future AKS-74 I will need a element m105 and madbull 6.03mm tight bore barrel which will get me to 343-348 FPS, but as Ian said above -

They usually fire at about 325-8 out of the box, so upgrading to a 6.03mm TBB should be just ok without a spring change.

• Supporters

Oh many CYMA guns come out of the box firing full auto at 440+FPS - for the US market - I don't think the spring is a standard strength like M130 though - somewhere between 120 and 130 with a 6.04mm barrel, but yeah if you put an M160 spring in a long barrelled AEG with a 6.01 barrel, I would expect it to fire at somewhere around 580FPS full auto - you would probably have to put a LiPo battery in it without a fuse to get a standard motor to pull that heavy a spring and it may well not last long doing it - a standard piston wouldn't have many shots in it, maybe not even 1 decent burst of full auto, and the gears might give up a couple of teeth in that curtailed burst too - but with the right upgrades, it's not at all unfeasable to have AEG's with reasonable trigger response and ROF firing at 650FPS... possibly more.

The thing is, you can't use it anywhere to airsoft and, pretty much wherever you shoot it, it's a major accident waiting to happen...

for eg, most mesh eye protection is not designed to take multiple hits with that kind of energy one right behind another and there are plenty of polycarbonate lenses that might not crack but could get knocked out of their frame - then there's the power of ricochets which could easily surprise you in where they end up going - like into somebody/thing behind you...

Don't do it, basically.

Oh many CYMA guns come out of the box firing full auto at 440+FPS - for the US market - I don't think the spring is a standard strength like M130 though - somewhere between 120 and 130 with a 6.04mm barrel, but yeah if you put an M160 spring in a long barrelled AEG with a 6.01 barrel, I would expect it to fire at somewhere around 580FPS full auto - you would probably have to put a LiPo battery in it without a fuse to get a standard motor to pull that heavy a spring and it may well not last long doing it - a standard piston wouldn't have many shots in it, maybe not even 1 decent burst of full auto, and the gears might give up a couple of teeth in that curtailed burst too - but with the right upgrades, it's not at all unfeasable to have AEG's with reasonable trigger response and ROF firing at 650FPS... possibly more.

The thing is, you can't use it anywhere to airsoft and, pretty much wherever you shoot it, it's a major accident waiting to happen...

for eg, most mesh eye protection is not designed to take multiple hits with that kind of energy one right behind another and there are plenty of polycarbonate lenses that might not crack but could get knocked out of their frame - then there's the power of ricochets which could easily surprise you in where they end up going - like into somebody/thing behind you...

Don't do it, basically.

Was expecting dramatical explosions :'D

• Supporters

Well, 425FPS for semi auto DMR's, on most sites that allow DMR's, but some allow 450 and ours allows 500 - eactly the same rules as for snipers. You want as fast a trigger response as you can sensibly get from a DMR, so the upgrades will be just like upgrading any other AEG.

Designated Marksman's Rifle

Oh yeah, and Skirmish Airsoft Mansfield allows AEG's to shoot full auto at 350 +5% or 368FPS

Archived