What Is Your Airsoft Pet Hate?

Zak Da Mack
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well? Everyone must have something or someone they look at in airsoft and go "whyyyyy????" So what's yours?

Mine has to be airsofters who hold a gun with their arm outstretched to the side. I mean, what's the point? The reason you stand like that is to reduce recoil, and the last time I remember, airsoft guns don't exactly try to fly out of your hands when you shoot it. I think it looks stupid, but that's my pet hate. (No hate for anyone who does this)

Chris_Costa_of_Costa_Ludus_Shooting_Supp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well? Everyone must have something or someone they look at in airsoft and go "whyyyyy????" So what's yours?

Mine has to be airsofters who hold a gun with their arm outstretched to the side. I mean, what's the point? The reason you stand like that is to reduce recoil, and the last time I remember, airsoft guns don't exactly try to fly out of your hands when you shoot it. I think it looks stupid, but that's my pet hate. (No hate for anyone who does this)

unless the person had a tm recoil, Bolt recoil shock or the new kwa recoil..........

• Supporters

easy none hit takers ... means i have to waste more bb's to reinforce the point that there dead already!!!

also over kill, i shouted that i was hit raised my arm etc ... yet someone is still spraying me ... trust me i is not a zombie, they don't raise there arms above there heads ;)

• Supporters

unless the person had a tm recoil, Bolt recoil shock or the new kwa recoil..........

Or gbbr? none of the above have enough recoil to warrant it, (i've not fired the latter two but I doubt it's a significant difference to the effect a TM would have on your aim, but yeah.

Mine has to be airsofters who hold a gun with their arm outstretched to the side. I mean, what's the point?

I often hold my rifles further up the hanguard than most do, though of course it varies gun to gun as to what I find comfortable.

As to the reason why, it's quite simple really. I own a WE m14, which for a while was my primary or go-to gun, being very front heavy i had to be able to support the weight, and as I'm not the biggest guy in the world, holding just in front of the mag was do-able, but definitely a struggle for extended periods and so I had to use my support hand further up the rifle in order to have a stable stance from which to shoot. That became my standard way of holding a gun so now any carbine or rifle I use, I naturally hold in a similar fashion as that's now what I find most comfortable. I don't wrap my entire hand over the barrel as in the picture of Costa in the OP however with my hand being further forward it's comfier to use an 'angled grip' which you can see below, where i half hold the vertical foregrip and half the gun.

44632_564159603629772_1148850593_n.jpg

It's all just personal preference and down to what you find the most comfortable way of holding a particular gun- and mp5 or AK for example I hold the mag and handguard in a similar way (albeit obviously much further back).

An angled grip is more stable than the normal style shown below (at least for me) as it means the gun can't or move as much when shouldered.

vertical.jpg

As for my airsoft pet hate, I'd have to say starting late (although at Iron Sight it's normally my fault anyway :lol: ) or blind firing.

Well interestingly soldiers are now taught to stand presenting a larger target than they used to, standing 'square on' to the enemy, since they are wearing some pretty good armour on the front of their bodies but not much on their sides. This makes them a larger target for the enemy but makes them more likely to survive being hit. That said, this makes no sense in airsoft where any hit is a kill, so quite a lot of airsofters, in trying to copy stance drills taught to soldiers, are wasting their time. I guess it comes down to whether you want to 'win airsoft' or 'play soldier.'

My pet hate: UKARA licenses.

My pet hates...

1. Overkill
  2. Non hit takers
  3. Cheaters
  4. People calling it a "UKARA licence" (Sorry Longshot)
  5. Starting late in the mornings and after lunch
  6. Rubbish game types
  7. Battery running out mid game

• Supporters

basically from what i see. there is no excuse to hold the weapon like that. it forces your elbow away from your body and there for makes you a wider target. bad drills

It makes no difference, my elbow is still closer in than the width of my body so it doesn't matter. The bend is pointing downwards.

Who cares so long as you're in a position that you find comfortable?

well longshot to fire an sa80 your body has to take a slight turn, i dont think soldiers would ever be taught to intentionally present themselves as a larger target as you suggest. i dont think training to be shot is in the handbook, a 7.62 round can and has penetrated kevlar. also even if it is stopped by kevlar it can cause.damage by the force of.the impact.

kneeling is the preferred position as it allows smaller target area, more stable firing and quick manouverablity.

as with all statements i make, i do not claim to be right and i have been proven wrong. i am not ago but you say does not seem right.

It makes no difference, my elbow is still closer in than the width of my body so it doesn't matter. The bend is pointing downwards.

Who cares so long as you're in a position that you find comfortable?

i was more talking about the pic at the top as it doesnt look stable and seems uncomfortable as his arm is outstretched. yours is ok mate

• Supporters

well longshot to fire an sa80 your body has to take a slight turn, i dont think soldiers would ever be taught to intentionally present themselves as a larger target as you suggest. i dont think training to be shot is in the handbook, a 7.62 round can and has penetrated kevlar. also even if it is stopped by kevlar it can cause.damage by the force of.the impact.

kneeling is the preferred position as it allows smaller target area, more stable firing and quick manouverablity.

as with all statements i make, i do not claim to be right and i have been proven wrong. i am not ago but you say does not seem right.

Current doctrine when firing standing is to face contact square on with the front osprey plate pointing directly at the aggressor. Osprey plates can and do stop 7.62, makes shouldering the rifle a little awkward and you have to put your neck in a really unnatural position to do it but how much time is spent standing and shooting anyway? Not much!

• Supporters

Longshot is right, Moose.

It's clear to see from the CQB drills videos on YouTube and stuff, they're all taking a very uncomfortable looking front facing stance and raising the rifle adjacent to their bodies. When I saw it I thought that how shit their aim would be whilst moving in that manner would surely cause more harm from them all getting shot for not being able to drop the target in proper speed, than if they just took a knee, sighted in and used aimed fire to drop the threat.

But hey ho, if military doctrine is changing because the armour is good enough, then it's not like us arguing with them is going to change anything. There is actually a famous case of a US troop being shot by an SVD in the upper chest from barely 50 yards away and his armour stopped it. He was able to chase the shooter down and treat him for a gunshot wound. Ironic or what?

Also, that "Magpul Stance" as I'm going to call it, does make sense for recoil compensation. But granted, it looks pretty gay.

ok fair enough then. it.must.have all changed in the last like 6 months since i left. like i said i dont claim to.be right but common sense would dicate it doesnt make sense to expose yourself. oh well. i should just keep quiet as i get shot down alot by people lol.

• Supporters

i was more talking about the pic at the top as it doesnt look stable and seems uncomfortable as his arm is outstretched. yours is ok mate

Ah I see lol, yeah that way is ridiculously uncomfortable, like really bad but if it works for some, who are we to stop them.

Even if they do look a bit silly :lol::

• Supporters

I think it's one of those things where if its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

Might be uncomfortable as sin, but if it helps better control recoil then when the shit hits the fan its probably worth mastering it.

• Supporters

I find shouldering my G36 square on very comfortable, but I am using a 551 on top of a carry handle scope. It means I just need to lean my head to the side to sight, not forward to bring my cheek to the butt stock, which aggravates my back injury. It doesn't work so well with my AKS, but I take advantage of there being no recoil and don't actually shoulder it properly at all!

Pet hates? My unfitness and chronic pain vs meds. My current regimen only works well if I take a lot of it, but that makes me stupid.

Other than that, yeah the usual, but the ACF most of all: Absolute Cock Factor. The people that behave as if dressing like special forces entitles them to the respect and deference we would show to special forces personnel at a skirmish.

• Supporters

It's just a happy coincidence that it could also stand for Air Cadet Force lol.

• Supporters

Meh, close enough.

Archived