One-Handed Magazine Release Gun List

-Ub3R-
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right, I have a question for all of you.

I need a list of all assault rifles that have their magazine release operable by the fire control hand.
A good example is the AR-15 platform, index finger (trigger finger) simply presses a button to drop the mag while the other hand can already be retrieving and inserting the new one.

Being a bullpup guy I'm used to having to remove a magazine awkwardly and seat it somewhere before grabbing the new mag and inserting it.

The guns I can think right now are:
Anything based off the AR-15 platform so:

M4/M16s

HK416/7s

Scars
Masadas

Type-89 looks like it uses a similar reload to the above guns.
SIG-553/6/0

Anyone know of anymore?

• Supporters

If you have long fingers, like me, you can reach an AK mag catch in front of the trigger guard, but if not or you want to make it easier, there are a number of upgrade types which do just that (King Arms do 4 different ones).

SRC G36 range have a special mag release

Where you push down with your finger to move the catch?

If so, yes indeed, can go on the list although I've always found G36 mag changes to be clicky and never very satisfying :)

If you have long fingers, like me, you can reach an AK mag catch in front of the trigger guard, but if not or you want to make it easier, there are a number of upgrade types which do just that (King Arms do 4 different ones).

That's interesting, never thought to try that.

I'd like to see these upgrades you're talking about as well, done a few quick Google searches and have yet to find anything that looks like what I'm envisioning. Got any links?

Galil would work on the same principle as the AK with a small mod, TAR21 can be done with your wrist (generally when you don't need it too)

If you are looking for quick mag changes I don't think you can beat a G36. The mags link together without any additional parts and the hand which grabs the mag also operates the mag release. Almost like an AK. You could easily change mags around 1 second the G36 I'd recommend is an ARES G36CV

• Supporters

trying to be too clever - oops!

• Supporters

Here is the product category page on kingarms.com there's a Tactical, a Double Side, an Enlarged, and an Extended Type. I think the Extended is best, because there is no possibility of catching it on your gear, so long as you are right handed. I did recently order an APS one though, because Airsoft-Club had that and a bunch of other stuff which will fit my needs, so it saved a fair bit of P&P over choosing exactly the upgrade bits I'd prefer...

Galil would work on the same principle as the AK with a small mod, TAR21 can be done with your wrist (generally when you don't need it too)

Yeah, there is an upgrade plate which bolts on to the mag catch to extend it out to the sides for AK's which would fit Galils. I dunno if the trigger guards are interchangeable, but this plate thingy only fits on the catch itself. I forget who makes it though, unless it's also KA...

• Supporters

^^Yeah, that's a recent H&K addition. Apparently requested by the US Govt. to make it more instinctual for those trained on the AR platform to use.

Oh yeah, and I sorta like the look of the 556, but I've never held one so I dunno if it would work for me...

The Galil is designed to be able to release the mag with one hand as it has a little bit on the right side of the mag release, however, you need really long fingers and you have to wiggle it to get the front part of the mag out.

But in reality theres no real need for one handed release unless you're planning on ditching all your mags

That could b the case, but then again i doubt you'd be using a rifle

• Supporters

If you drop your mag into a waiting hand to put in a dump pouch before reloading, that's got to be a little faster than manipulating a mag catch with the same hand you take the mag away with - i haven't timed myself doing it, but it feels faster on an AK. There is always the possibility of dropping a single mag on the floor in a desperate situation too.

fast AK and G36 mag change one mag in the gun, another in your hand, strike the mag release with the mag in your hand and flick the mag in as the other falls (sorry flies) out!

• Supporters

fast AK and G36 mag change one mag in the gun, another in your hand, strike the mag release with the mag in your hand and flick the mag in as the other falls (sorry flies) out!

Never done it during a skirmish yet, but i'm sure that when i finally get round to thinking of it in just the right high pressure moment, with someone filming me, i'll smack the mag too hard against the trigger guard/mag release or something and break the gun...

Anyway it wouldn't be as fast as just dropping a mag with your trigger finger and inserting a new one with your off hand.

Never done it during a skirmish yet, but i'm sure that when i finally get round to thinking of it in just the right high pressure moment, with someone filming me, i'll smack the mag too hard against the trigger guard/mag release or something and break the gun...

Anyway it wouldn't be as fast as just dropping a mag with your trigger finger and inserting a new one with your off hand.

but it's cool as hell

I think that's CoD speaking there mate :D

Even then by that logic it must only work with FALs.

• Supporters

^^I spent too much money on my L1A1 and her mags to do that to 'em. If/when I decide Agnes needs to look battle scarred, the damage will be carefully applied with exquisite care and attention to detail, using my best tools!

but it's cool as hell

Oh I agree, i just know that deep down i'm not quite cool enough to pull it off without it either being entirely inappropriate, like walking back to the safe zone or something, or looking a complete dick!

^^I spent too much money on my L1A1 and her mags to do that to 'em. If/when I decide Agnes needs to look battle scarred, the damage will be carefully applied with exquisite care and attention to detail, using my best tools!

Ian Gere...bespoke gun-weatherer...

• Supporters

For a comparatively concise video that gives you pretty optimum 'value for money' (time wise) the DVDs Travis Haley did are, IMO, excellent (having watched them through a couple of times and tried this kinda stuff out many times with airsoft and a few different firearms).

Adaptive AK is broken down in to very decisive little chunks that cover specific topics so you can just go in and get the info you need. They ended up beign so popular they'e all over the net:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb7_1350685502

"But he's a yank" well sure but you can ask a Spetsnaz operator and he'll give you basically the same information. Obviously there's a difference in that all these techniques are designed for live fire combat at CQB ranges where the last thing you care about is retaining magazines, plus your mags are far more sturdy than airsoft and you quite likely didn't pay for them. So there are adaptations to be made, but I've found a lot of the more simple plastic midcaps are actually perfectly fine to be flipped/ejected even on to rough concrete (and certainly fine with floor boards, soil, old carpet etc) as long as you're only doing it now and again. I've forcefully dumped my TM EBBr 82/30 mids on to outdoor concrete a couple of times and yeah they got scratched but there was very little deformation of the metal at all.

That said, the tactical or 'lull' reload is probably the most efficient for an airsofter who doesn't want to risk breaking expensive and fragile replica magazines by dropping them. It's not so easy with AKs/G3s and other rock-to-lock magazines but with any gun that follows the AR pattern it's a piece of cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bgc-Q0rL8

The worst culprit I can think of is unfortunately the L85 because the mags very often won't drop free (made worse with EMAGs vs the old metal HK ones we used to issue), but there's a method out that'll work quickly and efficiently for most rifles. Certainly more so than the standard "remove empty mag using reaction hand, place away, retrieve fresh mag using the same hand, insert" that is usually the standard.

Archived