To buy or to hire, that is the question

gazm1
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For a newbie, whats best? Im not meaning the gun, more the basic kit

Im lucky enough to have some DPM clothing thanks to my kid bro whos in the RAF and got me some kit before Wittering closed so im set there. Im planning on going to my first game after xmas (once the childs presents have been paid for) and was thinking of buying some bits before I go (mask, goggles etc...) as I figure, over the long term (planning on going 3 or 4 times to see if I like it, which im sure I will), that it will be cheaper than hiring the stuff.

Sound sensible?

I've found some bits and pieces on amazon at reasonable prices and I have also got my eye on this should I want to become a proper 'player':

http://www.justbbguns.co.uk/product/529/AIRSOFT-GUNS-PRO/405/AEG-GUNS-PRO/1157/ICS-CXP-CONCEPT

Normally the kit comes with the gun hire.

You need your own hat, gloves and boots.

Buying your own protective face wear can also be a good idea as the hire stuff is often not very comfortable.

the thought of someone elses faces sweating etc in the mask is usually a turnoff so id suggest get your own. also dont, buy anything from jbbguns. look throught topics of places not to buy, youll see why....

Normally the kit comes with the gun hire.

You need your own hat, gloves and boots.

Buying your own protective face wear can also be a good idea as the hire stuff is often not very comfortable.

Cheers pal

The place im going to charges extra for kit hire (not a lot more than gun hire though to be fair)

the thought of someone elses faces sweating etc in the mask is usually a turnoff so id suggest get your own. also dont, buy anything from jbbguns. look throught topics of places not to buy, youll see why....

Thanks for the heads up!

what do they provide - a mask and an overall ?

depending on what they charge, its your call. An overall is about £20. At least you then know its clean and all the zips work.

what do they provide - a mask and an overall ?

depending on what they charge, its your call. An overall is about £20. At least you then know its clean and all the zips work.

To be honest, they seem to provide everything but I have all my own clothing already thats gets well and truly crapped up when I go fishing :)

Just thought that, while I will have the spare cash, I may as well buy the basics before I go rather than hire them and then end up buying them anyway. If I decide its not for me I wont have spent much and can always sell the stuff on anyway

+1 on the "Don't buy anything from JustBBguns".

Essentials to get are good boots and good eye protection.

• Supporters

So would Patrol Base be a good place to buy from? I have seen it mentioned in a few threads

If you're buying online then there's LOOOOAADS of decent places. If you're local and you want to go to a shop then yes, fill your boots.

yea theres a part of the forum where sales companys are discussed so its worh reading around in there as you take your time to pick your gun so that you get the right weapon for you at the right price from the right retailer...

For things to buy would be a good pair of boots and socks, eye pro is usually in the form of a paintball mask, but ask your local site what they provide so you can make a choice on what you want to wear on the day. If you've got something you don't mind getting dirty then a pair of gloves and your all set if your hiring a gun!

• Supporters

My list of kit in the order of getting it

1 Good boots! ( My ankles are a known weakness and I want to protection)

2 Eye and face protection ( The thought of those sweaty faces and spit - no thanks, the first rental mask I was given was mouldy inside, I traded for a pair of safety specs I had in the car, choices Full face, half face and goggles/glasses or just goggles/glasses, the last one is probably the least advisable but it's your teeth so your choice)

3 Clothes, army surplus is cheapest start there ( DPM cheap and cheerful, but you have that sorted)

4 GUN!!!!!! That's we are here for right. Read up and understand the VCRA, guides are about on all the forums, make sure you are over 18 and organise a defence. Then don't buy from any site that says bbgunz or any variation of that. Or Special airsoft supplies for that matter. None of these places have good reputations.

Enjoy your new hobby, say good bye to all of your money!

I wouldn't shell out much money till you've at least played once. Maybe get a set of glasses and a face mask. I wouldn't spend more than £20.

I see you're from the northwest. I have a brother up there that's wants to try it, I might see you around christmas time.

Havent seen anyone mention webbing or a vest of some kind your gonling to want to put your mags and things some where i would also buy your own eye protection the condition of rental glasses can be a right stait also you might want a camel back to drink from during game

• Supporters

As a complete beginner I'd say good boots (essential!!!) and a full face mask; http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=2441 the sansei style mesh mask is likely what you'll get as a hire player and they're decent enough for the price. Certainly the best value for money full face available, they can be found cheaper than that online, have a search around!

I'd avoid buying anything else really (and the mask is a nice-to have, the masks provided by a site will be safe). Load bearing equipment/vests etc are a complete waste of money until you're buying your own guns and magazines as 99% of hire guns will come with one high cap and a bottle of BBs!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think mask and goggles will be on the xmas list

I wouldn't shell out much money till you've at least played once. Maybe get a set of glasses and a face mask. I wouldn't spend more than £20.

I see you're from the northwest. I have a brother up there that's wants to try it, I might see you around christmas time.

Ill be playing at MOA near Wigan although not sure when

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think mask and goggles will be on the xmas list

Ill be playing at MOA near Wigan although not sure when

I'm new to the sport as well so I've never played up north. My brother lives between ormskirk and southport so not too far away.

• Supporters

Since you've got time to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive, get this mask. That company KHMountain do them in a few different colours too.

These are very good to see through, not so good for glancing down. But then again, lower face protection prevents glancing down anyway. This becomes an issue when you're walking through undergrowth and, at first, when you need to change mags or get something out of a vest pouch. Of course you can always bend your neck to look down, it's not like a gladiator helmet or anything!

But you need to learn to do stuff like that without looking anyway, because eyes need to be scanning for targets if you want to avoid ducking behind cover to get a pyro out and light it, then pop up ready to throw only to be shot point blank by the person you were going to throw it at, who has sneaked up to your position while you were distracted...

And yeah, boots.

More of my opinion.

Archived