Gun Advice (new player)

Showerforanhour
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I've just recently joined this forum, hopefully to get some more info on this sport, and maybe even make some new friends!

I haven't even actually been to a skirmish yet but I've just got a few queries regarding guns and I was wondering if one of you 'seasoned veterans' might be able to help me out. I won't be stupid and buy a gun without playing a few skirmishes first mind you.

I've found myself torn between either a sniper rifle or a rifle such as the M416/M16. I know a lot of people advise to not get a sniper rifle as for beginners we may find it slow and boring... I was just wondering, to the snipers out there, would you even suggest for me to stick with a rifle for the time being?

If I was to get a sniper I'm also struggling on that front... I recently ventured to our closest Airsoft shop and test fired a AGS AW.338 but I found quite a few issues with this gun. One being the magazine spurting out the BB's and the other issue being that the BB's weren't correctly being fed into the gun. What sniper rifles do you guys prefer, or what would you suggest for a beginner?

I'd say I have a budget of between £250 - £300 which I hope would be OK for me to get started. I'm also not going to bother with a sidearm for the time being as I read that it's probably best to just put the money towards a better primary weapon or some gear.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hello mate,

In all honesty I would avoid sniper rifles in the beginning purely because they usually require upgrading before they will perform well as far as I've been told. Plus you also limit your self in how you play, you won't be able to push up close to the opposing team and get a few kills because the majority will be able to outshoot you, throw in that most sites have a minimum engagement distance of 25m so any closer than that and you won't be able to fire. Plus if you have only a sniper and it doesn't perform then your essentially sitting in some bushes not being able to shoot people.

Was it Patrol Base that you went to ?

• Supporters

Welcome to the forums :)

My advice for what it's worth, go along to a game, hire a gun, and see if you like it before you spend any £££

Also don't get a sniper rifle as a first gun, a spring sniper is really annoying as out of the box, they need upgrades :(

Welcome to the forum and stay away from sniper rifles until you get some skirmish experience under your belt.

Talk to players on site about their guns and get a better idea about things so you can make a more informed decision.

I used to think about getting a sniper rifle, but TBH i'd rather stick with with AEG and GBB pistol as it's much more satisfying sneaking :ph34r: up on your opponents and shooting them from close range rather than from much further away as you can't see the look of shock and surprise on their faces from a distance! :D

Thanks all for the replies so far! Very helpful indeed I'm on my phone at the moment so rather than quote people individually I'll try and answer the questions in one post.

I'll definitely be going to some skirmishes before I make a purchase of anything so don't worry about that. It's a bit too much to spend without trying the sport first! So guess the idea of getting a sniper is out of the door! I'll think about that a bit further down the line...

Mike636 - I did go to Patrol Base! Pretty decent shop and the people that worked there were very helpful. Seemed to have of knowledge on the subject!

Moose87 - I'm from a town called Keighley (West Yorkshire) I know there's a fair few areas where I can get myself into a skirmish locally so I'm definitely looking to do that. Not sure if it's going to be before Christmas now though mind you.

• Supporters

As a general rule of thumb, it costs about £250 to upgrade a sniper rifle so that it is skirmishable, plus the original gun. You've got the right idea though - talk to people before you spend on anything. Trust me, there is so much crap out there and, conversely, there is a lot of stuff which is excellent, but not so much better than the merely very good that it justifies the mind boggling price tags.

Here's most of my opinion. Welcome to the forums and maybe we'll get to shoot each other soon :P;):lol:

as a starter youd be as well buying a decent aeg and using it in semi auto rather than looking at sniping. master that then youll know where to go from that...

Archived