BattleTac App

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a copy on my android phone, not used it at a game though. although, as it uses your 3g connection for connectivity - if you are in the middle of nowhere it might be as useful as chocolate teapot.

I have had a little play. Seems to use your integral GPS and your phone connectivity to communicate your position to your team mates. Obviously needs phone coverage, but not necessarily GPS as you can manually enter your position.

Probably not much good in your average skirmish, but could be useful in a large milsim as it could enable a squad leader to see the position of the various fire teaams. It also provides silent non verbal communication so gives a stealth element - you can message your team mates either in free text or using templates.

I believe you can also upload a map of your site to reduce dependence on downloading google derived mapping as you move - useful if you have a weak signal.

You need to enter a security code word so only your team can share the info.

The Lite version is free to use and there is an ad free version for £3.

Im on there at the moment if you want to try it - radio channel 1 codeword AFUK

I got windows phone its not on here :(. Ill take my iPad :D lol

• Supporters

All I get when searching play is tic tac toe... linky?

• Supporters

Thanks Baz. I've just gone for the free lite version for now, but it looks like it has possibilities. One problem I foresee straight away though is the accuracy of the GPS plot. Even with a dedicated handheld GPS receiver 25m isn't a bad margin of error and the default setting for notification on Battle Tac is 100m...

A 200m circle from where you actually are: that's from behind enemy lines to too far away to make much difference! I could see it being handy for finding your squad after regen on a very big site and, on an urban site, maybe with its own and/or surrounded by WiFi connections, the accuracy could be good enough to use tactically. I have a 'GPS bells-and-whistles-iser' app on my phone which helps GoogleMaps sort its sh!t out faster and, I think, better, so maybe that will help. So far Battle Tac thinks I'm reclining in the road outside my house, rather than on my bed, and we have 3 WiFi connections currently active in this building and over 20 detectable in the surrounding area... (it's a high student to luddite ratio demographic)

There is the cool factor which shouldn't be overlooked, I think. The whole mil-tech & being in a vid game vibe - the template communications, NATO symbols, security, etc. Much cooler than just texting each other.

Ive played with it a bit more. Its an Airsoft version of the real steel Blue Force Tracker used by the US forces.

Im quite interested in uploading a map of the site to use instead of Google mapping and I wonder what the cheapest platform for such an app might be?

If sites like spec ops are renting out NVG, I wonder how useful it might be to rent out a small tablet in a rugged case for BattleTac use in a milsim ?

Wifi might be difficult in a woodland site, so would have to rely on 3G. The use of a site map instead of Google Earth would reduce the bandwidth necessary.

I "patrolled" the site for a couple of hours tonight getting used to the menu. Quite easy to use.

• 1 month later...

Im thinking about buying a cheap PAYG Android based smartphone to run Battletac and a few other things.

There seems to be a few phones in the £40-60 price range with a 3 or 4" screen.

The reviews for phones are not very consistent on sellers sites.

Can anybody recommend anything suitable ?

• Supporters

In time order, not recommendation: one two three four five six

• Supporters

Sounds like a decent idea. Keep us posted. If it works out well, I may want to copy cos I'm not using my everyday phone on my wrist at a skirmish!

I didn't even know you could buy smartphones so cheap!

Good idea to use one for airsoft though. Might look into it myself too! Certainly does have some application. If somebody can get a team together to run with BattleTac on a cheap handset a skirmish report would be brilliant.

I'll have to wait until at least after Christmas and when I hopefully can get my first job around the new year to buy anything airsoft related.

I found that a lot of the unknown brands on Ebay weren't so cheap when you discovered the reserve prices.

I bought a PAYG LG from Tesco in the end for £45.

The main criteria is that you need a compatible OS like Android, GPS, Internet Data access, an electronic compass, picture rotation for landscape and portrait and an optimally sized screen.

Im sure you can get phones for less than £45, but be careful to make sure they do what you need.

Ive also ordered a joggers neoprene armband for a phone so we will see how that works out. Only £3.

• 1 month later...

Im sure if you played with it and configured it may be usefull. But to be honest, the best thingnto do in milsim is to have a radioman per section. And a map on paper of the site or area your playing in, im not a big fan of carrying fragile, breakable, expensive electronic equipment about my persons whilst im playing...I.e,phone.

Howver again, im sure if you configured it right , it would be very good.

However if each radioman has a BattleTac equipped phone located on him somewhere, out of harms way, this software allows the force CO to be able to sit safely in the command post visually tracking each team position on his tablet. The latest software version allows the milsim organiser to see everybody (both teams) in an overview situation. Whether the CO communicate orders via the data terminals or live radio is up to him.

However, remember that BattleTac is totally secure, unlike PMR446 radio.

• 9 months later...

Experimenting with BattleTac, I've managed to create a tactical overlay which can be sent to anybody on a specific force that is authorised to have access to the intel, so that they can display it on their SmartPhone which uses the BattleTac app.

I can draw in features like roads, buildings etc as a default fixture to bring the Google Earth imagery (and the site) to life and then dynamic positions of friendly troops (in blue) and enemy troops (in red) will be transmitted in real time and displayed over the secure data net to all allies.

post-7324-0-02689600-1416615563_thumb.jpg

Have managed to produce a revised map with more advanced information and e-mailed it to players, Quite easy to do once you've done it once.

Could be done for any Airsoft site.

You can either upload it to the BattleTac server for any body to use (i.e. skirmish) or you can email different content versions to specific people for a milsim.

Its been a rainy Sunday so no airsofting for moi.

Have also managed to work out how to get these customs maps on to an Andoid phone.

Android is even easier than iOS - you just copy and paste the map file into the BattleTac map folder on the phone using a USB lead between phone and laptop.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.