Buying a smg for woodland and urban

carlymbn
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

MP5 ?

M4 CQB ?

The choice is endless depending on what your preferences are ?

The deciding factor is normally something not too long, possibly with a folding stock.

Also, You might want to put optics on, so check out rail possibilities.

Have you thought about a bullpup? They are a lot more compact as the mag is at the back, but it doesn't sacrifice any of the barrel length, giving you the maneavourability you need in CQB and the range you need in woodland.

just to note.... barrel length does not always mean range. My choice for you only has a 175mm barrel but is accurate and has decent (but not immense) range.... its no sniper but would not be expected to be.....

the M4 Mini Patriot Blowback AEG by Umerax.... to me is the perfect airsoft gun. The only AEGs I've been obviously outranged by was a Magpul Masada that was freakishly good and I suspect upgraded by the previous owner.

aug is an assault rifle thou?

mp5 is generally kind of smgs. mp5k "pdw" maybe if you want more compact. Classic Army B&T are excellent.

it is very hard to find accessories for umg.

the TM p90 is very raved about, and damn its short! I just hate the 1911 style trigger.

Im not so sure I agree about accessories on the UMG.

I have a suppressor, optics and a foregrip on mine. Theres plenty of rail space and I use it for assault in woodland.

With the suppressor removed and the butt folded to the side, its very compact (designed for close protection vehicle work).

The only downside is the length of the magazines which make it hard to lie prone. They don't fit mag pouches, so I carry two in the gun with a mag clip.

I have an asia electric p90 for sale.

Boxed, only used once.

Mosfet switch fitted and comes with 4 x midcaps and 1 x Hicap

£130

I'd say probably a good idea to stay away from asia electric

Im not so sure I agree about accessories on the UMG.

I have a suppressor, optics and a foregrip on mine. Theres plenty of rail space and I use it for assault in woodland.
With the suppressor removed and the butt folded to the side, its very compact (designed for close protection vehicle work).

The only downside is the length of the magazines which make it hard to lie prone. They don't fit mag pouches, so I carry two in the gun with a mag clip.

oh yea the almost square magazine.

I think 'accessories' was probably the wrong word to used. to be more specific, there will be a lot harder to find 2nd hand (or new) magazines and spare parts.

• Supporters

I find barrel length to be largely irrelevant with regards range and accuracy, there's lads at my local site with 455mm barrels in their ridiculous M16+silencer 'long range' guns that get outshot regularly by people with MP5s, me with my MP7 (140mm barrel), pistols... you name it.

Range is dependent on power (to a point, it's not everything) and hop-up, a decent hop up and as many joules as you're allowed will maximise your range.

To that end, I recommend anything by Tokyo Marui or a G&G as both manufacturers produce rock solid reliable guns with excellent hop-ups. Marui will be short on FPS but probably not short on range, you can 'upgrade' the spring but it might not improve things significantly.

Remember, long gun does not mean long range! An MP5 will be just as good in the woods as an M16, occasionally better as you'll be able to run a lot easier with a smaller gun.

• Supporters

One thing to note here is that if you have 2 guns with the same internals, but different barrel lengths, the longer one will have a higher FPS, which will translate into more range. The differences aren't massive until you start to compare tight bore barrels, but then they are massive:

- relatively recently I put a 236x6.02mm barrel in my AKS74U, which previously had 256x6.08mm and I also upgraded the spring from M100 to M105 - FPS increased from 318 average to 340 average

- I also did my Dragunov SVD 590x6.01mm replaced 590x6.08mm and I had to downgrade the spring from an M150, which had been producing approx 440 FPS, to an M135 spring which is now firing at 492 FPS.

Anyway, my recommendation is an ICS AKS74U - it's one of the best feeling guns there is and even at 318 FPS the range isn't bad for woodland. It is worth the barrel and spring upgrade though - there's easily 10m in it and more importantly a flatter trajectory at intermediate ranges. Like me you may want to also replace the flash hider with the standard AK74 type...

ICS-34_319x126.jpg

£200 from Landwarrior

APSH-ACC-BB013A_1_mark.jpg

$8.50 from ehobby

Archived