SCAR-L CQC: VFC vs G&G

Lozart
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I really fancy a SCAR but i find myself wondering which to buy. Budget doesn't allow me to go TM so I'm looking at the VFC and G&G ones. Probably in black so I can still use all the M4 mags I have and not look too out of place. From doing a bit of research it seems the VFC gets the vote on external detail but opinion is divided on which has the the superior insides. Moreover, are the internals SO different that it warrants the extra £100 to buy the VFC? Ultimate external detail isn't really a huge decider, getting something that is accurate and easy to get parts for is probably more important!

aaaaaand GO!

From personal experience of G&G and VFC i'd go VFC. My SR-16 is one fo the best guns i have ever used. (not a scar but still a VFC)

BUT I would still be tempted to save for a TM. Glad i went TM for my SCAR. and if you look around you can get a good deal on a used one. Mine was 6 months old had 9 mags and 2 lipos for £500.

• Supporters

I see what you're saying about the TM and I must admit the stop on empty thing is proper cool but we're still talking £500!

What is it about the VFC that makes it worth the extra £100 over the G&G? Genuine question - I've used G&G guns and they seem to be fine (certainly better than my TM M4A1). I'm attracted by the fact that they come with both CQC and standard barrels (the VFC that is).

• Supporters

I have two mates with VFC SCARs and they've both broken after being bought from new in roughly 11 months.

Lots of wear on the piston, motor cage cracked and the pinion gear destroyed itself. So considering they're more expensive in the first instance, and to say that to be safe you're going to want a new motor and gearbox in there, I'd say to go for the G&G.

Some of the G&G SCARs are officially licensed with the proper FN trades and they look and feel just as nice as the VFC one imo. If you don't ever get the chance to do a side by side comparison you're not going to care much what the differences are.

Whilst 2 VFC SCARs have broken, every G&G gun I've ever owned has been completely spotless, and I've owned 3 so far, all my mates who have them (6 at least) have all been really happy with their G&G stuff too, though 2 of them also managed to break their guns... Though one of them took his apart and messed it up, and the other is a total noob so his issues are probably down to him as well.

I'd say G&G personally, VFC get a bit of a mixed rep for their internals but great rep on the externals. They're like Ares except not that shit.

You can get the TM SCAR for 280£ on Echigoya.

Even with shipping and such it'll be a decent price,no more than 350£ I'd say.

http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_35&product_id=369

Mags are another thing though,but that's why the used market exists!

• Supporters

Yeah at £500 that was a saving of around £240 for all the bits!

Oh I agree that's cheap for what you got but it's still £500. Mortgage won't pay itself.... :-)

• Supporters

http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_35&product_id=369

So do you have experience buying from them? Are they reliable? How long does it take to deliver?

• Supporters

Actually....I've just done the numbers and it works out around £415 (£278 for the gun plus 3.2% duty and 20% VAT plus £71 shipping). Cheaper than here but still more than the VFC. Definitely some thinking to do....

• 2 months later...
  • Supporters

No.

But I did get one for Christmas! :D

I got the G&G SCAR-L CQC in Tan from a VERY good friend. Should hopefully get to try it out on the 19th so I'll let you know how it shoots. It's a nice piece of kit though, apparently had to be downgraded when it turned up as it was firing over 400fps out of the box!

The thing that I find strange is that neither the Guai Guai or Vega makers websites list their SCAR offerings.

I don't know if this means they are dropping them from the 2014 range or not ?

Ive looked at the G&G offerings but what puts me off is the fact according to the reviews you have to remove the stock completely in order to slide the battery in ?

It seems to enter from the front of the stock but connect at the rear end, which means working from both ends.

The VFC isn't a lot dearer but doesn't take this complicated approach.

On the flip side, the G&G allows the butt to be hinged and clipped to the side by the deflector port.

I think the VFC is winning the race in my estimation.

• Supporters

Right, the battery on the G&G goes in the buittstock, yes but you don't remove the whole thing. It's in the extending part - you pull out the back of the stock to it's max extension, pop out the pin the holds the buttpad on and then use IT to unhook the latch that stops the whole chunk of stock from coming off. battery fits in quite nicely. I'll take some pics later.

• Supporters

General consensus from all the reviews I've seen are that the VFC looks the best but the G&G is more reliable. The wire that jumps the hinge on the G&G buttstock ISN'T an issue because you're not reallt supposed to be using it with the butt folded anyway (plus it does actually stop you easily geting your hand on the grip if you have anything larger than dainty girls hands).

Yes it looks like you have to use something to pop the pin out that connects it to the rest of the rifle and you have to take the rubber end off the armpit end, so you attack it from both ends so to speak.

Looks fiddly and keep taking that pin out every game will chew the surround up.

On the VFC you just finger remove a rod that goes through the rear stock end, remove the rubber pad and the battery goes in, like my G&G 416.

Photos would be good.

• Supporters

It's really not fiddly, the pin that holds the butt pad on is pushed out with your finger and the end fits perfectly into the little hole where you need to unlatch the stock catch. More to the point is - can you justify the extra £100 the VFC costs? Or even the extra £200+ the TM costs?

The delta for the VFC is about £84 so probably yes. The TM is too rich for my blood and too difficult to get hold of.

I quite like the MK17 version of the SCAR.

I like the SCAR and it would make a great addition but Ive just recently bought an M249 so its just one to watch for the time being - gotta let the dust settle.

Apparently the trick with the Guai Guai is to fit a 2200mAH LiPO in the stock which means you don't have to take it out much to charge.

As there is no blowback, it lasts ages apparently.

• Supporters

So I just took some pics:

First - stock in the gun:

2014-01-03221640.jpg

Next, extend the stock:

2014-01-03222235.jpg

Whip out the retaining pin and remove the buttpad:

2014-01-03221705.jpg

Then poke the retaining pin in here:

2014-01-03221742.jpg

That pushes in the little metal latch that stops the stock extension from falling out.

Next, remove the stock extension:

2014-01-03221812.jpg

here you can see the fuse holder and battery connector pulled out for clarity, you feed the battery connector back in through the extension like so:

2014-01-03221916.jpg

and connect your battery. Push the battery and connector back in like so:

2014-01-03222106.jpg

make sure the fuse holder lies flat in the rear:

2014-01-03222122.jpg

then reattach the buttpad:

2014-01-03222205.jpg

and slap it back in the gun:

2014-01-03222235.jpg

Bob's your mothers brother.

To be honest the only vaguely fiddly bit is making sure you don't bend the long metal contacts that make the circuit from the main part of the stock and the extension tube. Personally I would consider either extending the battery wires or putting a connector nearer the fuse holder so it doesn't all flap about when you disconnect the battery but that's just me. Wiring a MOSFET in would be a challenge - getting the trigger contacts back to here would be difficult!

My first question to you is "have you had the pleasure of shooting the TM SCAR???". I was considering a cheaper scar option myself but once I'd actually shot a scar and more so FELT THE RECOIL I knew there was no real debate in this. I know affordability is an issue here but I would say time is the issue. Save up for longer because it will most deffo be worth it. I waited 6 long painful months for mine and I'm very glad I did. The TM SCAR makes the other scars look like they are in they're infancy!

No in honesty I haven't.

Personally, I feel the recoil on an AEG will never be anywhere near the same as the real thing and Im not sure I want to spend the extra money to achieve a half way house effect.

If it were my only primary Airsoft rifle, I might be more tempted.

Im in no hurry to buy a SCAR and if I see somebody toting a TM at a meet, I will have a look out of interest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Finally got to skirmish the SCAR last weekend.

Obviously I traipsed around all morning with the EGLM and a dirty great tracer on so by lunchtime my arms stopped working. Stripped off the frippery after that and it's a fantastic CQB machine (with the short barrel setup). Accurate and powerful enough (chrono'd at 335fps - which is AFTER it's been detuned) to raise a few objections after I got a bit gung-ho (oops).

Well happy with it.

Archived