Tank Day

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Still pursuing this and thinking about a closed door day at an open air military museum just for Airsofters, so offering an opportunity to sit on tanks, get inside tanks, maybe even go round an assault course on them ?

A closed door day would mean an opportunity to bring your full kit and weapons without frightening the public.

Ive made a few tentative enquiries with museums to check what sort of cost and numbers they would need to shut their doors for the day.

Its just a germ of an idea at this stage and would depend on level of interest etc but it is possible to do this.

Many museums need money for tank refurbishment and maintenance so they are interested in imaginative ways of raising money and Airsofters tend to be interested in the same sort of things as tank fans.

Any profit from such a day could go to a service charity.

Have you thought about the experience day type places that make a living letting people drive around in them? I would think it would be much easier to get one of them to do a private day since they cater for stag and hen days etc...

"Tanks a Lot" have amphibious vehicles, tanks and hummvees for the US inspired folks ;-)

Thanks for suggesting them. Wasnt aware of their activities.

They seem quite flexible and already do something they call an SAS event.

The problem is that the driving gets quite expensive if everybody wants a go.

I was thinking of an event that costs about £25-50. The driving puts it into silly money and small groups.

Maybe you should have a few tank driving bookings sorted and auction them off to the highest bidder to have a go and limit everyone to one auction win so everyone has a chance :)

I can get a half day special event in an East Anglian collection. Probably Saturday afternoon.

Closed door event - just for us Airsofters - wear your BDU, bring your RIF. Any dress goes - just not commando ! naturist Airsofters aren't a pretty sight.

They have a pretty good collection of deactivated weapons plus a selection of tanks and tracked vehicles.

They will let us climb on and in the tanks, tell us all about them, take us round their field in an armoured car and another tracked APC they have.

Lots of photo opportunities and your chance to update your profiles or Facebook page.

Cant do it until after March 2014 because the tracks chew the field up.

• Supporters

I say this purely as an idea, because it's unlikely i'll have sufficient funds to travel to East Anglia, but how about trying to get them to allow bio BB's so people can shoot targets from moving vehicles, or even get an ad hoc skirmish together...

I had thought about it but getting a museum to consider just the idea of a closed door day for adults in combats with RIFs was challenging enough. Maybe if we built up a relationship with them, we might convince them to take it further.

Problems can be overcome if there is a business case.

As to whether you might come, there is camping, Ian !

This is now set up and is being offered through the RIFT site which is based in Cottenham, Cambridgeshire.

If anybody is interested, please let me know. You will need your own transport to get yourselves to the museum near Norwich.

Cost is £19 and it will be on a Saturday afternoon in March.

You don't meed to be a RIFT member or even a regular there to join in this event.

• Supporters

Wow, through a quirk of advance train booking of obscure journey times, I think I probly will be able to make that!

• 2 weeks later...

where the hell is it being held?

See below.

This is now set up and is being offered through the RIFT site which is based in Cottenham, Cambridgeshire.

If anybody is interested, please let me know. You will need your own transport to get yourselves to the museum near Norwich.

Cost is £19 and it will be on a Saturday afternoon in March.

You don't meed to be a RIFT member or even a regular there to join in this event.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if this is any use for future reference, I once went here on a random day out & it was fantastic & they (Used to) let you climb on & get inside the tanks etc.

I dont live anywhere near this place but it was a great place to go.

What a tit, I forgot to put the link on.

http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

• 2 months later...
  • Supporters

I honestly can't say @mo, Baz. I'd like to, but there are some things I'm having to juggle. If you've got a place to fill and a person who definitely wants it, give it to them, because I cannot be less vague for a while...

Archived