Newbie help :)

DjH4yZ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys iv'e recently jumped on the air-soft band wagon and I've been looking into what set-up to have.

What brands of guns would you say are the best to go for, im looking for a long range assault rifle like the l85 etc but doesn't have to be that anything really just looking for some good brands...

Fr an assault rifle, 100% G&G or ICS.

I got G&G top tech and its brilliant, all depends on how much you wish to spend.

For a pistol I highly recommend WE. Really nice feel and weight to the guns, and don't perform too bad either :).

I skirmished mine 3 times when a BB got stuck and knocked something loose where i was going trigger happy. But it was easily fixed.

WE 3px4 £95 from pro airsoft supplies :

Cheers

Daz

• Supporters

Unless you've got money spare you'd be better off spending any money a pistol might cost on your primary weapon, like spare mags and an optic maybe.

My guide for noobs.

Welcome to the forums :)

I like the look of G&G CM M4's and also the Lonex Armalite M15A4 Carbine. As a newbie myself I'll be hiring until I've got my UKARA paper sorted. But I have to say I'm seeing so many tasty looking beasts I'm sure I won't make my mind up till the last minute and will probably even then think I should have bought a different one!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

This is what i went for in the end.......

Guns

Assault Rifle

SRC G36 GEN 2 - http://www.justbbguns.co.uk/images/productphotos/47711670src36blue.jpg

Pistol

HG193 FULL AUTO CO2 - http://www.justbbguns.co.uk/images/productphotos/67458333.jpg

Attachments

Assault Rifle:

G&P ACOG - http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m0NmWz1PS94ivaRc82VDqrg.jpg

Fore Grip - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJEkFDw7RSGNwBQ97Uyb34w~~60_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Pistol:

Laser Sight - http://www.shortyusa.com/cart/images/1700.jpg

I love both these gun and having so much fun with them. I have however decided to go for the......

G&G Top Tech M4A1 Airsoft Rifle With Blowback AEG

This will be after i gain my UKARA ofcourse :) Looking forward to shooting some people though hehe :) I'll be starting in spring, i'm from Kidderminster so I'll be going to the Asylum site in the midlands

that is true i had some issues with them when i ordered....

bought the 2 guns from there but the rest came from ebay etc...

the g36 came no problem... but my pistol and bbs had got damaged in transit, so delivery was postponed abit, then when they sent another one that one came in a bad state... bbs all loose everywhere, packaging all ripped, the mag was missing too, had to wait a further 5 days for them to send me another...

glad for the customer service and replacement of the mag but after this experience i don't think i'll be using them again

What jcheeseright said. And I wouldn't have bought attachments until you have boots, face and eye protection, spare mags and batteries and some sort of load carrying equipment- maybe even some better BBs for skirmishing with since the ones that JBBG sell (the bulldogs) are utter shite, and BBs that come with guns aren't great.

9 times out of 10 you probably won't even use that pistol, I don't even bring mine to game days any more- it just doesn't leave the gun bag.

tbh i just love playing with them, and my local skirmish site has alot of close quarters so it'll come in handy :) i'm not that fussed about what order i get things in as money isnt really an issue i just wanted to get the coolest things first so i can have a play hehe

I may have missed it but the biggest thing is budget.

What is your budget? G&G are good but if you have a higher budget then spend what you can and get the best gun you can.

Factor in any extra mags etc you may want but I'd go G&P over G&G any day but your looking at an extra £100 or so for the base gun,

well the guns i have so far (two tone) are just to get started really...

still a newbie so using these to get the experience and then once i get my UKARA i'll be looking into getting the really good stuff :)

really do like the look of the G&G guns, would you say these are the best around or? Im looking for a mid to long assault rifle that's reliable and will last. i'd prob spend a max of 300-400 on the gun alone.

What are the best BBs?

that and the guns you've bought are turds. You'd have been better off following people's advice and buying a G&G or ICS.

SRC are a good brand the other gun I would never trust

To be honest, I can see why you would be tempted towards choosing JBBG as a starter player. In all honesty, I was too. Mistake that I won't make again. In future, I would recommend doing your shopping at more reliable sites such as Land Warrior or Airsoft World.

Back onto the main topic though, those guns are pretty good. Not sure about the pistol as I have never owned one of the ones you bought, but be careful when firing it on full auto. I have seen full-auto pistols (CO2 and Green Gas) explode after over use on automatic. Videos such as this one show the sort of things that happen (rarely, granted) after over use of CO2.

*side note: do NOT watch any of that guy's other videos (or those of YouTuber CrazyNCMan, for that matter) as they are manufacturer sponsored to promote their guns*

About your G36, one of my friends has had one for a few years now and it hasn't let him down yet. The only minor problems he has had have been with magazines and feeding issues, but other than that it is good.

What brand BBs did you buy? I would not recommend the JBBG own brand BBs (evidence as to why not can be seen in AK47frizzle's hilarious post on the subject)

My BB of choice is the Biosphere BBs- .20g or .25g your choice- which can be bought from Airsoft World at this link. A lot of sites now only allow biodegradable BBs on site anyway, so these are a good enough choice.

Hope that this has helped you out. And welcome to the forums!

Thanks DX115FALCON you've been a great help :)

Yh i was easily led into justbbguns because of the huge range of guns etc and tbh i was just excited to get going :P Defo like what i see on airsoft world though, i like the look of the L85 and the m481, they look very solid and can see some airsoft veterans recommend them.

My G36 does have loading issues which i did read about but easily fixed with abit of tape around the mag :)

A few games though and i'll definatly be ordering my pro gun as soon as possible :)

I must say thought the G&P ACOG i have for my gun is very impressive, i'll be putting this on my pro gun for sure!!

Ahh so bio-degradable is the way forward? Thanks for the heads up :) I'll keep that in mind for my next order :)

Thanks DX115FALCON you've been a great help :)

Yh i was easily led into justbbguns because of the huge range of guns etc and tbh i was just excited to get going :P Defo like what i see on airsoft world though, i like the look of the L85 and the m481, they look very solid and can see some airsoft veterans recommend them.

My G36 does have loading issues which i did read about but easily fixed with abit of tape around the mag :)

A few games though and i'll definatly be ordering my pro gun as soon as possible :)

I must say thought the G&P ACOG i have for my gun is very impressive, i'll be putting this on my pro gun for sure!!

Ahh so bio-degradable is the way forward? Thanks for the heads up :) I'll keep that in mind for my next order :)

Any time. I was in the same position as you at about this time last year- ordered a JBBG gun, a gas pistol (from the local gunshop- airsoft world), buying new kit...

Your next step should be buying something like a Combat Machine by G&G or one of CYMA's AK range. CYMA's MP5K is seriously good as well- source: personal experience.

when you said there is problems with co2 pistols etc in the past, what is a good example of a nice dependable pistol? any recommendations?

don't worry i wont be using my pistol for full auto lol i just like to play with its feature every now n then as its a beast lol.

I'm also advised to use silicone etc on my assault rifle and pistol, especially the pistol as its co2, would this be shown in the manual books you think as to keep them maintained? or is this a pro tip that's not shown in the books?

when you said there is problems with co2 pistols etc in the past, what is a good example of a nice dependable pistol? any recommendations?

don't worry i wont be using my pistol for full auto lol i just like to play with its feature every now n then as its a beast lol.

I'm also advised to use silicone etc on my assault rifle and pistol, especially the pistol as its co2, would this be shown in the manual books you think as to keep them maintained? or is this a pro tip that's not shown in the books?

Pistol advice? I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I use a shotgun as my backup. However, I did own a few before now, so I'll try.

I used to use the NBB P8 USP by iSoft (can't find it in stock ANYWHERE these days) but the mag did not have a great gas seal- I hope that I used the correct form of seal there!- and I couldn't find mags anywhere.

After this experience with the gas pistols, I moved onto an AEP- a CYMA G18C - which served me well. Until it broke. The trigger got a bit too stiff for me to pull, and there were a few misfeeds with it.

f*cking hell, I'm making this sound like a bloody story.

After having problems with both AEPs & Green Gas pistols, I decided to give up on pistols completely- for the moment anyway- and invested in what is still one of my favourite guns to date: my DE M56 tri-shot shotgun.

I suppose that this is all that I can say about pistols. My brother and a few of my friends use pistols such as the Detonics, the Mauser and (my personal favourite) KWA's CZ75. I hear that they are all really good GBBs, but I can't say as I have had little experience with any of them.

My pistol advice is not to bother with one until you've played more. In my experience, most players don't even use theirs, it just stays in the holster. If I were you I would have hired guns from my local site to see what I like the look of, wait until I got my UKARA and then ask for opinions on here for what looks good to avoid doing exactly what you did. As soon as you have a UKARA you'll probably regret buying JBBG Two-Tone buggery.

• Supporters

Well, other people have said all that's necessary concerning your choices. Unless you're prepared to see the real arsey side of justbollocksguns customer 'service' and send your guns back for a refund, then start again (which I recommend to you as your best course of action), then we'll just have to work with what you have...

SRC do make good G36's - I have one and I'm happy with it. However, mine was a Gen III from the start and i think Adam's is too. To get it up to skirmishable spec I felt mine needed a new hop rubber (also known as a "hop bucking"), which is a piece of advice i've seen written by many SRC G36 owners. Personally I chose a Systema rubber, but at least 1/2 of that decision was just because I wanted to see if Systema stuff is as good as the prices suggest - verdict: no, it isn't; it works for range* but it does nothing to help accuracy - you'd be better off with a CYMA (controversial, but trust me, the split bump centres the BB in the barrel very well), or a Falcon, or PDI W Hold, or the expensive option: a Prometheus Purple used with an H-nub (which can also be called X spacer, fishbone spacer, or hop up cushion).

I also wanted a new air seal nozzle, but fitting that requires opening the gearbox, so unless you're prepared to use your 1st AEG to learn how to break them down and put them back together, you might prefer not to do so. If you do, be aware that SRC G36 nozzles are not the same size as the various TM clone/compatible types (that's also true of the hop unit itself). It's easy enough to get them direct from SRC - email Mordred Chiang via [email protected]

The easiest way to get a Gen II up to spec, along with the rubber, would be to replace the inner barrel with a Madbull Black Python V2 6.03mm TBB. That will up your FPS to the mid-high 340's which will give you 5-10m extra effective range. Other than that, you'll get a better trigger response if you replace the wiring - you could get the expensive silvered stuff, but Component Shop 16AWG wire is fine. If you're not confident of your soldering skills, maybe get someone else to do it, because if you melt the plastic switch body, you'll have to open the gearbox to replace it.

Still, you say money is no object... even if you're not confident at fixing things, you could go ahead with a full upgrade for the learning experience, so as well as the above:

- Teflon Grease

- SHS 16:1 Gears

- G&P Copper Shims (use 1 against each side of the gear)

- ASG Ultimate Thin Shims

- Kanzen Ceramic Bearings

- SHS Nylon Piston w/ 15 Steel Teeth

- (or you could go with ICS Helical Gears [MC-108] & ICS Aluminium Piston w/ 15 Steel Teeth)

- SHS Aluminium Piston Head w/ double O-Rings & Bearings

- SHS Stainless Steel Spring Guide w/ Bearings for Ver 3 Gearbox

- SRC Aluminium Air Seal Nozzle

- SRC Metal Hop Up Unit

- AB MOSFET

Maybe also:

- ICS Turbo 3000 Motor (Short Type)

- Hardened Anti-Reversal Latch

- Lees Precision Engineering Piston Head O-Ring

- Lees Precision Engineering AOE Piston Head Shims

- Eotech 552 Replica w/ EOLAD laser

Regarding silicone oil - you can get it in a spray can, but i prefer it in a dropper bottle (Abbey). Put a drop or quick squirt into new mags and another if the mag misfeeds. On a G36 a little oil/grease under the charging handle helps. Some people recommend putting it down the barrel, or up the BB feed tube so it gets on the hop rubber "to keep it supple" - bollocks. Keep oil & grease out of the barrel if you can - for eg: when you oil a mag, fill it with BB's using a speedloader down the feed pipe, even if it's a hicap, and then push the little tab back to let the BB's spray out into a plastic bag - repeat 2x and throw the BB's away, don't fire them.

The gearbox works better when lubricated and it's easy to do on a V3 without opening - just take the plastic cover near the trigger off and drip/spray a little oil in.

There's nothing to be done with that pistol. It's a dead loss, but for very close up back up, like if you run out of BB's in your AEG when you're being overrun and haven't time to mag change, it'll be just about up to it.

Archived