Help me choose a new pistol?

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Action Hobbies did one at reasonable fps but seems to be out of stock at moment.

Have you looked at the C96 Mauser (as used by the Man from Uncle) !

The AH Makarov is the Umarex - AH say FPS 360 +/- 5% and it's CO2 only and its only 14rnds.

I do like the ol' box cannon, but I just can't see it with my CQB loadout <_< which is all black UBACS, RICAS, 2 x drop leg, etc

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

TM hi-capa (I've got a 4.3) from eliteshootingcentre, and 3 mags, only fires 285fps, but it goes for miles and the cycling is beautiful. £200 should get you the gun and 3mags as well as pay for the shipping. Talk to mike cripps, he's very knowledgeable and helpful.

I'd recommend using a basic fabric holster or having a kydex made up for it as there aren't any retention holsters made for it.

With a new frame and slide you can fit them in 1911 serpas (though that is quite a bit of extra expense)

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me - it looks like the conservative middle child of 1911 & M9 parents. Apart from the look, that shape grip doesn't work for me - it's too narrow at the top.

• Supporters

I really like the feel of MK23/USP/P45's. That was my first thought, but I already have one... even though it is a cheap NBB. But I thought I'd get the collected wisdom, yanaaaaaaaar?

Do any of them take gas and CO2 mags though?

Also, does anyone have experience of modifying ordinary gas mags to be filled from a CO2 adapter? Is it just a case of swapping O-rings and springs, or what?

• Supporters

There's a pretty significant pressure difference between propane and Co2. In all my years doing this I've never seen anyone put Co2 in to a standard pistol mag and I'm certain there's quite a good reason for it.

I couldn't explain the physics in a conclusive manner, but likely something related to propane being put in to a mag in liquid form so that a small amount boils off each shot due to propane staying liquid at a much lower pressure. If you put Co2 in to a normal mag in purely gas form using a regulator at a safe pressure level, you'd get maybe 1-2 shots worth from it, if that. If you tried putting it in at a pressure that kept it in liquid state I don't think it would matter if you replaced the o-rings with an industrial sealant because the metal walls themselves would just expand and burst.

• Supporters

I really like the feel of MK23/USP/P45's. That was my first thought, but I already have one... even though it is a cheap NBB. But I thought I'd get the collected wisdom, yanaaaaaaaar?

Do any of them take gas and CO2 mags though?

Also, does anyone have experience of modifying ordinary gas mags to be filled from a CO2 adapter? Is it just a case of swapping O-rings and springs, or what?

Take a look at the KWA hk45. Its like a more modern USP- they're meant to be pretty good.

• Supporters

Mr. Ian.

A while back Airsoft2Day published an article about KSC's upcoming releases.
One of them, was a Makarov.

So that might be worth waiting for.

God only knows how long the wait will be, but it'll probably do all your requirements justice.

Edit:
After a bit of a Google it seems that the initial release will be full ABS for the Japanese market, but a thread on ZeroIn points out how all the other pistols KSC have come out with have been picked up by KWA or KSC Taiwan for a metal counterpart.

There's also a GBB Skorpion, which sounds like it could be a badass as hell SVD backup weapon. Hinty McHint :P

• Supporters

Thanks Chris, I hadn't thought it through at all. I was just thinking CO2 + moscart = badass 100+rnd shot not what a mag full of shots would need.

So is the prevailing thought that i need something ubiquitous to be able to get CO2 & gas mags for the same gun?

@Ed: I may get a Makarov as well, eventually, just for coolsies, but it's just too little for what I want now - not enough BB's in a mag. TBH I'm having a hard time not buying the Umarex one right now, but I do actually need a CQB pistol, and with the various other projects that I have on the go, even if i get one from Poland or Czech Rep it's still £60 something else will be coming up short this month. But yeah, Skorpion... you've pretty much read my mind - except, what sort of holster can you carry them in?

• Supporters

With how small it is, I'd probably just use a single point sling and then if it wobbles about too much, maybe also attach some sort of clip to my belt as a second anchor.

So the sling ultimately is what's holding it on, but then the clip could just stop it tying knots around me.

When I want to use it, unclip it from my belt and move it about on the sling.

Probably won't work as I'm hoping it would, but it's a suggestion at least. Though I bet without a mag in it'd probably fit in a D. Eagle holster anyway, just about.

@Ed: I may get a Makarov as well, eventually, just for coolsies, but it's just too little for what I want now - not enough BB's in a mag. TBH I'm having a hard time not buying the Umarex one right now, but I do actually need a CQB pistol, and with the various other projects that I have on the go, even if i get one from Poland or Czech Rep it's still £60 something else will be coming up short this month. But yeah, Skorpion... you've pretty much read my mind - except, what sort of holster can you carry them in?

Pantac make a scorpion holster, and the MP7 holsters, with a bit of modification, work quite well.

• Supporters

Can't find the pantac holster with google, Geoff. Linky?

Currently on phone, when I get home I will do.

hi ian

what about these two links?

http://www.armysurplusandtoys.com/WE-F226-GBB-pistol-with-rail-p/we-f226-gbb-pistol.htm

and if you wanted something different to add

http://www.armysurplusandtoys.com/sig-226-CQB-conversion-kit-RONI-p/sig-226-cqb-conversion-kit-ron.htm

a bit over budget but what do you think?

Can't find the pantac holster with google, Geoff. Linky?

Pantac did one exactly the same as this http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/strike-thigh-holster-mp5km11mp7vz61black on redwolf, but they seem to have gotten rid of it from their website, sorry.

• Supporters

What about the Socom Gear M9a1? http://socomgear.com/english/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=36

320-340FPS on Green Gas, 26 rd mags. Not sure on the CO2 issue but they're £170 ish with a mag and silencer.

Or the ASG M9A1 heavyweight? I know you can get CO2 mags for that.... http://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-guns/professional-airsoft-guns/pistols/asg-m9-ia-heavy-weight-gas.html

...... But yeah, Skorpion... you've pretty much read my mind - except, what sort of holster can you carry them in?

I managed to fit my M4 Mini Patriot with mag fitted in a std pistol drop leg holster and then used a velcro strap to hold the stock to my hip/belt. Worked ok but was a bit clumsy. Ed's idea of sling and strap makes more sense for ease of use

• Supporters

hi ian

what about these two links?

http://www.armysurplusandtoys.com/WE-F226-GBB-pistol-with-rail-p/we-f226-gbb-pistol.htm

and if you wanted something different to add

http://www.armysurplusandtoys.com/sig-226-CQB-conversion-kit-RONI-p/sig-226-cqb-conversion-kit-ron.htm

a bit over budget but what do you think?

Too little FPS for the budget and I can't really get my head around those kits - I'm not a fan of little guns in general, I mean my AKS is about as small as comfortably fits my long arms. If I do get a Skorpion, I'll use it as a pistol, not with the wire stock extended.

Pantac did one exactly the same as this http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/strike-thigh-holster-mp5km11mp7vz61black on redwolf, but they seem to have gotten rid of it from their website, sorry.

That looks pretty good, mate, cheers :)

• Supporters

What about the Socom Gear M9a1? http://socomgear.com/english/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=36

320-340FPS on Green Gas, 26 rd mags. Not sure on the CO2 issue but they're £170 ish with a mag and silencer.

Or the ASG M9A1 heavyweight? I know you can get CO2 mags for that.... http://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-guns/professional-airsoft-guns/pistols/asg-m9-ia-heavy-weight-gas.html

The Socom Gear is never going to go with any loadout I might wear. I mean, "NO MAN LEFT BEHIND" etched on it? "NO MAN'S LEFT BOLLOCK" maybe, or "NO MAN IS AN ISLAND"... "OH MAN MY BEHIND" and I'm not paying £120 for a plastic gun with fixed hop. If I got a Beretta, I'd go for a 92FS if possible, for sentimental reasons, but the only one I've seen has some poxy 6rnd cylinder/daisy wheel contraption to hold BB's: even if it works a damn sight better than it looks, I'd lose the wheels anyway :lol:

Is there a good 92FS around ppl?

I managed to fit my M4 Mini Patriot with mag fitted in a std pistol drop leg holster and then used a velcro strap to hold the stock to my hip/belt. Worked ok but was a bit clumsy. Ed's idea of sling and strap makes more sense for ease of use

Yeah I could do something like that I spose. Thing is, I already carry my AKS like that, when I'm using it as a sniper back up. Part of what I want a new pistol for is because it's not satisfactory - I need a back up to stay still and silent when I'm not using it.

So far the HK3/WE PX4 is ahead by a nose, but the barrel is a bit too short for my liking (maybe I could put a short can on it and extend the inner barrel?), closely followed by one of those USP's with the compensator, but I need to have a look for Vz61 Skorpions that are better than the ASG one. Bit of a pisser that, b/c Patrol Base have the holster Geoff recommended, cheaper than Fire Base too, and the ASG. I'm wondering if there's a GBB Skorpion?

• Supporters

This is a bit like trying to go shopping with the wife and help her choose a dress ! lol

Yeah, I was just checking pics of Berettas to confirm my notoriously hazy memory and the one I actually remember isn't a 92FS, it's a 92 Combat, which has a 1" compensator to house barrel bushings that eliminate wobble caused by the slide. Bit weird that they called it "Combat" since it's optimised for competition target shooting :lol: Although I'm pretty sure I was told the pistol I remember from back in the day was an FS and, come to think of it, I don't remember it having the height adjustable rear sight, so maybe it was a 92FS with only part of the Combat kit installed... fussy, moi?

Chances of finding an airsoft one without paying for custom CNC? Slim to none I'd guess. Ho hum...

• Supporters

Hmmm... the Maruzen Vz61 Skorpion just got a serious boost...

$(KGrHqJ,!pIFHHNp9SnWBR2C9rY1r!~~60_12.J

It would need a bit of modification because the airsoft mag is longer than the original box mag, but @US$42 posted it's not like fvcking it up is such a daunting prospect that I'd be too worried to have a go. I've got a spare old Soviet triple AK mag pouch that's so far gone it'd take more work than I can be arsed with to fix, but I could take the leather patch and stud off it and use one of the leather straps to lock it above the mag and it'd look pretty much like it was supposed to be like that.

I'm not really a fan of leather gear, but this surplus gear is so knackered that using it is obviously re-using it, so it doesn't create a demand for new leather, and it would go with my KLMK suit a lot better than a spanking new Strike drop-leg...

But then again, it's 30rnd gas mags to buy and maintain...

Archived