Looking for a sniper, in a budget, need some advice

DazMK5
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, after airsofting for a little while now, and previously receiving lots of positive help before I even started airsoft from other people on this forum, I thought I could ask for help again ;).

I'm looking to buy a sniper, I understand how frustrating sniping can be, the cost of upgrades etc etc.

I just don't know what to buy!?!

My budget for the gun is £200.

It doesn't have to have a scope, as I'm planning to do the upgrades over a few months until it is finished, and I'm happy with it.

Please send links as well with your recommendations,

Also if you have used/own a sniper, please leave feedback on it, with weather you recommend it, or ifmyou would avoid it.

Cheers

Daz.

Well, this is a review of a sniper you could get, courtesy of Thy Jimmies http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/15221-cheapo-chinese-sniper/

Hahha that's quality XD

:3

OT: You can get a TM VSR 10 Pro for about 160£. Upgrades from ASPUK are really good quality and reasonably priced,you can get the EZ trigger and piston set for a great price,will up reliability and allow for powerful springs to be used. Also,I highly recommend getting the Dangerwerx Hop up arm. That thing works miracles I read.

Then maybe a new cylinder and cylinder head for better air seal,run the TM rubber until it dies and Jam in a Prometheus/Laylax purple

rubber.

I've had two VSRs by now. Cracking guns,I've only gotten rid of the first one because I was a fool with upgrades,but the one I have now is stupidly accurate with .28s,performs really really well. Aside from the less than good internal sears,it's bombproof. Really strong externally and mechanically simple and reliable. Only thing that's a bitch to assemble is the hop up and always losing the bloody mag catch.

Sounds good, what sorted range do you hit with it?

:3

OT: You can get a TM VSR 10 Pro for about 160£. Upgrades from ASPUK are really good quality and reasonably priced,you can get the EZ trigger and piston set for a great price,will up reliability and allow for powerful springs to be used. Also,I highly recommend getting the Dangerwerx Hop up arm. That thing works miracles I read.

Then maybe a new cylinder and cylinder head for better air seal,run the TM rubber until it dies and Jam in a Prometheus/Laylax purple

rubber.

I've had two VSRs by now. Cracking guns,I've only gotten rid of the first one because I was a fool with upgrades,but the one I have now is stupidly accurate with .28s,performs really really well. Aside from the less than good internal sears,it's bombproof. Really strong externally and mechanically simple and reliable. Only thing that's a bitch to assemble is the hop up and always losing the bloody mag catch.

And also just realised, it has no room for scope on it lol.

I found it for £200 on pro airsoft :)

Ok mate, ill have a look, thank you :)

• Supporters

A&K Dragunov SVD - I paid £70 for mine: ex 2-tone, missing butt plate, 1/2 painted tan, moody hicap, badly in need of TLC + Scope

(Worth remembering that these 2-tones were on sale for £90 for a while.)

Madbull Ultimate 6.01mm x 590mm inner barrel - £42.98 (People say you can put a 650mm barrel in them but it would be visible

inside the flash hider. About 620mm is the max.)

Precision Hop Up Chamber - I bought mine from here b/c they are the manufacturer.

Steel Piston Sear - I bought mine from gunfire.pl b/c I didn't think to look on airsoftpro.cz (doh!) but i didn't buy all of the upgrades

at the same time anyway.

Extended Cocking Handle - I paid £16.93 from ASPUK because it was out of stock here.

Lees Precision Engineering Piston O-Ring - (I'm not sure this was needed but I had a pack handy so I put 1 in.)

Gucci Teflon Grease - 50g / £3.99 inc P&P (They're out of stock but that's whom I bought it from. They have some "Red Rubber

Grease" which is made for O-Rings & Seals - who knows, it may be good...? The Teflon stuff is amazing.)

Element M135 AEG Spring - I got mine from Bullseye Country Sports on Amazon for about £10 & free P&P but they're out of stock.

(The A&K Dragunov SVD uses AEG springs but the original needs downgrading once the TBB is in.)

Side Scope Mount - got mine for about a tenner posted off fleabay.

Eagle Force Steel Bipod - (Needs a bit of grease on the folding mech b/c it's the real deal steel on steel just deal)

A&K 50rnd Mid Cap Mags - (I bought 1 from here at the same time as the bipod, but should have bought more.

Unfortunately I Just couldn't afford it at the time. I got my other 1 from gunfire.pl at the same time as the piston sear.

I have 2 mid & 1 repaired hi cap mags & want 1 more mid for total domination.)

RS AK Sling - (I asked for green & got it, but they have khaki or grey also. It's a fraction short for me, but I have wide shoulders.

It works for standard 2-point carry, just not for tensioning wrapped around forearm when aiming.)

Dunno what that adds up to but you'll do it a little cheaper than I did if you follow my advice about ordering various bits at the same time from airsoftpro.cz and uncompany.com. TBH it's a fcuking beast. I'm nowhere near good enough to use it to its full potential yet, but I'm learning. I'm not sure on the chrono b/c last time, after the spring downgrade, I was in an impatient queue and using 0.3's on a m/s machine, but the marshal said it was ok.

Falcon Hop Rubber - (I'm in the process of sourcing a bunch of mainly AK parts, trying to keep the P&P to a reasonable minimum,

and this will be among them. The one that comes with the advanced hop is fine,

but this may be a fraction more accurate.)

Reinforced Piston - (Eventually I'll have to get one of these, when the stock one wears out all the way around it's circumference, but,

just like the piston sear, the stock one is made for a powerful spring. I expect I'll get a gucci

spring guide, etc. at the same time, but I doubt it really needs it.)

Cons:

- the pistol-grip/stock is very angular so it's uncomfortable to hold - I've used FIMO to make an ergonomic add on perfectly moulded to my hand and it's now as good as a rifle grip can be;

- if you wear a lot of kit and carry the rifle shoulder slung, the mag catch can get depressed accidentally, dropping the mag out. I almost lost one this way, but a team mate found it - a bit of LX tape looped from the catch around the trigger guard stops this, or carrying it differently :lol:

- it's a big ol' bastard to drag around through bushes etc.

Pros:

- it's very well balanced so whichever hand you hold the handguard with, that arm doesn't get excessively tired;

- the position of the sling mounts make it hang comfortably and easy to bring up from no hands front carry to aim;

- it's built for a 150 spring so the stock parts are robust;

- even with a scope on the mount, you can aim under it, over the iron sights, if your target is somewhere that your scope is not set for, like right up at your MED, or the wind is taking your BB's out of your scope's field of view;

- it looks a lot more badass than a VSR!

I think in going to get VSR as there not too big. Just not sure what VSR to buy.

i get discount on Pro airsoft supplies.

There's two on there just not sure what one to buy.

Also as snipers are all new to me, what should/can i upgrade?

And how do i know in buying an upgrade rather than a down grade?

What's a better tight bore. PDI or angel something? Angel one is made from SUS steel or something

From what I've heard and read Angel custom is wank. Barrels rely a lot on bore quality when considering accuracy. PDi and Prometheus/LayLax followed by a gap in quality are some of the best. PDI 6.01 and PDI 6.05s do wonders for accuracy. Angel custom have poor QC and tolerances and quality really varies.

For upgrades,I always say start off with the hop and barrel. Stock TM chamber is pretty decent but for more performance a Dangerwerx hop up arm helps a lot. Also an air seal mod with teflon tape around the edge of the bucking helps FPS consistency. Like I said,run the TM rubber until it dies(I.E,air seal is very bad and inconsistent,not hopping as much as it used to) And replace with a PDi W hold bucking or Laylax Purple bucking.

Then followed by the Sears,Piston,Cylinder head and cylinder.

PDi,Laylax and Action Army are my main brands when it comes to upgrades.

Ahh ok.

So I need

- tight bore 6.01

- hop up (where can I but this?)

- Dangerwerx A lever

- Air seal ( like this one? http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2953066 )

- what are these rubbers/bucks lol???

- sears

- piston

- cylinder head ( what and where do I get this)

- cylinder ( what is a good make for these, I don't want one I have to start filing down or anything )

- EZ trigger? ( http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3331958 )

- what the hell are these lol ( http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3145346 ) will that be needed?

Cheers for all your help guys, as soon as I get a check list, with what I'm buying ( exactly ) and where to get from, I'll progress on making my sniper ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Daz.

• Supporters

Ahh ok.

So I need

- tight bore 6.01

- hop up (where can I but this?)

- Dangerwerx A lever

- Air seal ( like this one? http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2953066 )

- what are these rubbers/bucks lol???

- sears

- piston

- cylinder head ( what and where do I get this)

- cylinder ( what is a good make for these, I don't want one I have to start filing down or anything )

- EZ trigger? ( http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3331958 )

- what the hell are these lol ( http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3145346 ) will that be needed?

Cheers for all your help guys, as soon as I get a check list, with what I'm buying ( exactly ) and where to get from, I'll progress on making my sniper ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Daz.

The barrel doesn't specifically have to be a 6.01, any pdi realistically will do the job. A .05 is cheaper and will do just fine. The standard TM hop stuff is fine so no need to buy more.

No need for new sears if you buy a decent trigger set, PDI or laylax are best but i guess teh EZ trigger may do.

The problem you will have starts if you mix parts from different manufacturers, choose one and stick to it (apart from the inner barrel) Use PDI or Laylax if you have the money, if not use aspuk.

The barrel doesn't specifically have to be a 6.01, any pdi realistically will do the job. A .05 is cheaper and will do just fine. The standard TM hop stuff is fine so no need to buy more.

No need for new sears if you buy a decent trigger set, PDI or laylax are best but i guess teh EZ trigger may do.

The problem you will have starts if you mix parts from different manufacturers, choose one and stick to it (apart from the inner barrel) Use PDI or Laylax if you have the money, if not use aspuk.

So I could just use laylax?

Is there a specific place to get JUST laylax stuff from?

I might just use ASPUK as all there stuff is easy to find lol :)

And then get m150 spring lol

• Supporters

So I could just use laylax?

Is there a specific place to get JUST laylax stuff from?

Look abroad, it'll probably be cheaper and easier to find, if not search all the big airsoft retailers, they'll have some.

If not go aspuk.

Think ill go aspuk anyways, i can buy everything off there all in one go lol

Will ASPUK perform just as we'll as PDI and Laylax? In terms of accuracy and FPS?

• Supporters

No, laylax and Pdi are top of the food chain in terms of performance. Aspuk stuff is passable for those on a budget but I'd reccomend saving long term for the high end stuff. Its a sniper rifle, so its all about precision so you should be after the best components possible.

PDI and Laylax is it then :)!!

Ill but it of each ;). Is a m130 spring worth buying, or should I get m170 and cut it down?

I heard it would be best to get a bigger one cut down due to loosing FPS over few months

Maybe not true then :) lol

All springs wear in after a period of time, from memory the loss is around 5-7% every 3 months but that is of course down to how much use they get, it's also best to amass all the parts you need and fit them at the same time, no point in taking it apart 3 times just to add a couple of bits each time

Which spring will also be determined by your site limits and what other parts you put in and I echo the above advice, buy right first time, PDI are very well regarded as about the best along with laylax but there is nothing wrong with most of the aspuk stuff

All springs wear in after a period of time, from memory the loss is around 5-7% every 3 months but that is of course down to how much use they get, it's also best to amass all the parts you need and fit them at the same time, no point in taking it apart 3 times just to add a couple of bits each time

Which spring will also be determined by your site limits and what other parts you put in and I echo the above advice, buy right first time, PDI are very well regarded as about the best along with laylax but there is nothing wrong with most of the aspuk stuff

I think I'm just going to get all laylax and PDI then.

All I need to change is

- spring

- sears

- piston

- barrel

- o-ring

- new hop unit

That's all isn't it?

Archived