Newbie loadout - Opinions please.

olitippo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right. I have been to airsoft 4-5 times and I really, really enjoy it so I decided to get my own kit. Here is the list;

1x Umarex H&K UMP .45 Sportsline

1x Bipod (Get off a friend as one leg is broken, but works as a foregrip)

1x1600 mAh stick battery

1x1100 mAh stick battery

A multitude of chargers (Used to do RC racing, had them left over)

12000 BBs

A speedloader bottle-thing

A MTP Multicam Bush hat

A woodland camo combat jacket

A woodland camo flak jacket

A woodland camo pair of trousers

1x Pair of bolle tracker 2 glasses with clear lenses

1x Pair of bolle tracker 2 glasses with yellow lenses

1x Pair of bolle tracker 2 glasses with darkened lenses

3x Glasses straps

An olive lower face wire mesh mask

As of now, that is the list. I would appreciate feedback and suggestions/opinions.

Pics:

post-8184-0-26783100-1380400971_thumb.jpg

post-8184-0-29484300-1380400975_thumb.jpg

post-8184-0-13357100-1380400979_thumb.jpg

post-8184-0-81743500-1380400983_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

second Monty's comment. My only suggestion might be to have a look for some camo tape, the stuff that can be easily removed, or a scrim to cover the blue bits but its not necessary just if you want to be sneaky. Make sure it is temporary though till you get a defence for VCRA.

• Supporters

Not to be pedantic, just to help you when you're wanting people to understand you without pictures:

That camouflage is British Army Dispersed Pattern Material, DPM for short - Woodland is the name of a US camo pattern which has been mainly phased out;

Although the label says "JACKET DPM COMBAT", most people know that as a DPM shirt - it's the larger, thicker, windproof jacket that everyone calls a DPM combat jacket;

That waistcoat thingy is called a flack vest - a flack jacket is what people in WW2 and the 50's called what today we call a combat jacket.

That grip on your UMG is called a grip pod - a bipod just has the legs.

Should work out fine, except that you will sweat more wearing the flak vest than in just a shirt, which may well increase the fogging of your Bolle lenses. Is it just the vest cover, or is there any foam inside it where the Kevlar is supposed to go? It will act to absorb some of any BB's energy so hits will hurt less but, unless you have particularly sensitive nipples or a colostomy bag, you don't need body armour.

That little bottle with the funnel gets described as a speedloader on some, usually bad, websites, but irl when you go to pour from it and invert, expecting a steady stream of BB's, what actually happens is that a few BB's roll out and then it jams, so you have to keep jiggling it to get a few more out each time. Speedy it is not. You can fill a mag much faster by using the crook of your thumb on one hand to surround the mag's inlet and simply pouring BB's out of the bottle they come in.

BTW, what are you wearing on your feet?

Although the label says "JACKET DPM COMBAT", most people know that as a DPM shirt - it's the larger, thicker, windproof jacket that everyone calls a DPM combat jacket;

That waistcoat thingy is called a flack vest - a flack jacket is what people in WW2 and the 50's called what today we call a combat jacket.

I may be wrong (quite often am) but my understanding is that:

The S95 shirt is in fact a lightweight combat jacket, then you have the "normal" combat jacket (no hood) and next up the windproof smock (with a hood).

The flack jacket is now called body armor. originally worn by bomber crews in WW2 to protect from antiaircraft fire (FLACK).

happy to be corrected.

That camouflage is British Army Dispersed Pattern Material, DPM for short - Woodland is the name of a US camo pattern which has been mainly phased out;

Also its Disruptive not Dispersed :)

But back on track.. if you've played 4-5 games then surely you'll be able to have a site membership and then remove the blue from the UMP. If for some reason yo can't get it definitely get some tape to cover it up. Most sites have that a rule now anyway

• Supporters

I may be wrong (quite often am) but my understanding is that:

The S95 shirt is in fact a lightweight combat jacket, then you have the "normal" combat jacket (no hood) and next up the windproof smock (with a hood).

The flack jacket is now called body armor. originally worn by bomber crews in WW2 to protect from antiaircraft fire (FLACK).

happy to be corrected.

Yeah, as I said, it says "Jacket" on the label, but who calls it a jacket? As you said, everyone knows it as a Soldier 95 shirt. You're right that the windproof is the next layer up from "SMOCK COMBAT", but again, who calls either of them smocks? Nobody. They're jackets... not to be confused with shirts... that are actually jackets :lol:

Also its Disruptive not Dispersed :)

It is. Doh! Brain fart :lol:

But back on track.. if you've played 4-5 games then surely you'll be able to have a site membership and then remove the blue from the UMP. If for some reason yo can't get it definitely get some tape to cover it up. Most sites have that a rule now anyway

Indeed, you don't need a UKARA registration as a defence. Anything that proves you are an airsofter is good enough.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback!

To answer some questions;

@Ian

I have nothing inside the flack jacket, though it works well for carrying a few spare BBs.

The boots I use (Though I do not know the exact brand) are worth around £120 and are good enough to get me up Mt. Snowdon and back down the other side.

Over the weekend I have also been practicing with the gun, and am pretty much in tune with it now. I can easily hit an apple from 20~ meters. I have also ordered http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-sights-scopes/swiss-arms-red-and-green-dot-sight-multi-reticule.htm as a friend was selling it off cheaply so that should be posted soon!

Again, thanks for the feedback guys!

post-8184-0-95478800-1380565058_thumb.jpg

Edit:

post-8184-0-91178600-1380569619_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

Well, I just want the lad to avoid smockery :)

A South African vest is no use to you - the ammo pouches are designed for NATO (STANAG - M4/SA80 etc) mags and are not roomy enough to take many, if any, other types. Unfortunately the UMP mag is a bit of a bugger to find pouches for. They're modern so I'm pretty sure that you will need some kind of molle system to attach them to, so a vest, chest rig, plate carrier, or battle belt, or a drop-leg platform. But there may be a dedicated triple pouch drop leg system out there. I'm not at all sure on this but I think that pouches designed for P90 mags also take UMP mags.

You'll want to get a shield like this to stop your optic getting smashed by BB hits.

Good job on the gucci boots :)

Now you are an airsofter it's no longer illegal for you to manufacture a realistic imitation firearm, so get that fvcking blue off (with fairy power spray - search it on this forum &/or YT) or spray over it with a Krylon camo colour/s and Clear Coat (from Patrol Base) and your bad ass will be good to go.

• Supporters

Well, I just want the lad to avoid smockery :)

A South African vest is no use to you - the ammo pouches are designed for NATO (STANAG - M4/SA80 etc) mags and are not roomy enough to take many, if any, other types. Unfortunately the UMP mag is a bit of a bugger to find pouches for. They're modern so I'm pretty sure that you will need some kind of molle system to attach them to, so a vest, chest rig, plate carrier, or battle belt, or a drop-leg platform. But there may be a dedicated triple pouch drop leg system out there. I'm not at all sure on this but I think that pouches designed for P90 mags also take UMP mags.

You'll want to get a shield like this to stop your optic getting smashed by BB hits.

Good job on the gucci boots :)

Now you are an airsofter it's no longer illegal for you to manufacture a realistic imitation firearm, so get that fvcking blue off (with fairy power spray - search it on this forum &/or YT) or spray over it with a Krylon camo colour/s and Clear Coat (from Patrol Base) and your bad ass will be good to go.

How about a Molle Drop leg panel:

http://www.military1st.co.uk/13484005-mil-tec-leg-panel-molle-coyote.html

and one of these:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/390651947781?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&lpid=63&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63&ff19=0

ok so you are a bit unsure of your suit from what you have said.

i think it goes without saying so long as you are happy!

but if you want to replicated a particular unit? or group? then look at the era too!

take say the SAS if you wanted their look then the era

so say if you wanted the Oman look then tan shorts tan shirt and an SLR :)

the iran embassy siege navy boiler suit and black rig

and when in iraq it all changed they were based (correct me if i wrong) they were next door to delta and so started to get shall we say Americanized and probably for the better and into what we see as the future soldier.

you have lots of options so just start searching images of special forces, regular forces and even characters from films and games and get a good idea of who you like the look of.

i am sure we can all help you if you want any specifics for you next load out :)

mtp mixed with 95s??? outrage i say!!

CKinnerly done it pretty well in his USA videos :)

Swiss arms sight protector and Blackhawk kneepads came in the post today. The sight protector seems pretty cool and the kneepads are really comfortable. Also, I have bought a single point bungee sling for the UMP. I'm really happy with all the stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Being new also, I happily stumbled across that rare breed the 'army surplus' shop, in this case in nelson, Lancashire... been past this place dozens of times and now have the excuse to actually go in.. I bought a British army DPM combat jacket and a matching pair of pants. I think if my 'loadout' is anything, it will be a mis-mash of British army with a bit of our NATO allies thrown in. I've seen a cheap ammo vest on 't'interweb also DPM, and a helmet with the same I fancy... I want some decent boots although I have a pair a leather walking boots that will defo do for the time-being I had an army webbing belt and water canteen with DPM cover from ages back so I'm glad I didn't throw that away... oh, and an M14 SOCOM maybe as a main weapon.... although that changes by the day!

• Supporters

This might be of some use to you, Earby. Needs a wash, but they go through a machine a treat. Just don't put anything else in there at the same time to give it space to slosh properly.

Archived