Affordable walkie talkies

clumpyedge
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

it really depends what you are after, if you're looking for a simple two way then there's really cheap crap everywhere (Motorola do a decent two way), but of course the more advanced you get the higher prices will be. for alot of people who like simulation, the real deal is the only option. so do you want the military look? and what is a price range you were thinking of?

it really depends what you are after, if you're looking for a simple two way then there's really cheap crap everywhere (Motorola do a decent two way), but of course the more advanced you get the higher prices will be. for alot of people who like simulation, the real deal is the only option. so do you want the military look? and what is a price range you were thinking of?

ideally i'm looking for ones that can be bought by numerous members of a team and still be used together if we cant buy in bulk... as long as they have ear piece compatability i dont really mind to be honest. the whole "real deal" scenario is way out of mine and my teams price range

i did find these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141047997223?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Supporters

Id recommend steering clear of Cobra radios, they're not the best quality by a long stretch.

Anything which is a PMR446 radio will work with any other PMR446 radio. I personally use an Intek MT5050, they're not cheap but they're very good for their price, others swear by the Motorola XTNiD.

One thing to note though is with radios you're buying a real product which is doing what it was really intended for, a clone of something is going to fall below the standard that you require in most cases, as will cheap option. You wouldn't buy a cheap pair of boots to protect your feet and ankes, you can't expect a cheapo radio to allow effective communication in any but the most ideal of conditions. The exception to that being the most basic components; e.g. speakers and microphones. A clone headset combined with the appropriate PTT will work 90% of the time.

http://www.twoway-radio.co.uk/personal <--- stacks of good deals there, I wouldn't consider anything under £50 for a pair though and would recommend looking in the bottom half of the page at the least.

Id recommend steering clear of Cobra radios, they're not the best quality by a long stretch.

Anything which is a PMR446 radio will work with any other PMR446 radio. I personally use an Intek MT5050, they're not cheap but they're very good for their price, others swear by the Motorola XTNiD.

One thing to note though is with radios you're buying a real product which is doing what it was really intended for, a clone of something is going to fall below the standard that you require in most cases, as will cheap option. You wouldn't buy a cheap pair of boots to protect your feet and ankes, you can't expect a cheapo radio to allow effective communication in any but the most ideal of conditions. The exception to that being the most basic components; e.g. speakers and microphones. A clone headset combined with the appropriate PTT will work 90% of the time.

http://www.twoway-radio.co.uk/personal <--- stacks of good deals there, I wouldn't consider anything under £50 for a pair though and would recommend looking in the bottom half of the page at the least.

you sir are a wealth of knowledge... almost like a wizard

You can also get a variety of headsets to go with the XTN446. If you dig around a bit in the forum, there was another thread with extensive insight into radio's and comms. It had plenty of links in it too.

Not to mention really fussy on headsets. Definitely steer clear.

If you can't afford Motorola XTN, look out for the Motorola XTR - they are a budget version but still superior to most other PMR446 radios out there, plus you'll get 2 for the price of a single XTN.

• Supporters

I will be selling a single XTR446 w/charger and rechargeable battery pack soon (from early next week some time). It is used but fully working and in pretty good condition - all the buttons have their decals on, the screen works perfectly, no dirt packed into any openings, etc. The only mark is a slight scratch on the screen, but it doesn't interfere with reading it. PM me if you're interested.

• Supporters

Oh, the only reason I'm selling it is because I had to buy a pair to get one for myself quickly and I'm in the process of acquiring another charger cradle...

• Supporters

Licenced radios are available, you can buy a licence as a club and Freq's from Ofcom however there are rules and regs to follow. No swearing, correct coms procedures, using over, or, out correctly etc ( please note "over and out" as used in many tv and films is WRONG!!), identifying yourself and who you want to talk to. You can get into a lot of trouble for not using them appropriately or using the licenced radios and non PMR446 freqs. Eg going onto marine channels on a non licenced land station is a big no no.

For your airsoft needs in most situations a PMR446 radio on the licence free power settings should be adequate. Motorola is probably the most widely used, but all PMR446 radios should work with each other no problems. On the PMR446 radios under 500mw you can communicate with the 5W ones however as they have lots more power they drown everything else out if the mic is open.

I thought ham radio licences where free any way i want to make the switch away from my questionably modded midlands.

Unfortunately the licenses are not free, but they are legally allowed to be owned by private citizens. I think the ham licenses are about £80 a year.

without taking exams and gaining a ham licence, I believe the only two legal options really available to airsofters are either using PMR446 or buying a PBR licence. The latter is really designed for a site and is usually restricted to a specific location.

Most people use comms to talk to other players in their team and PMR446 is fine for that as you are not normally that far apart.

If I ran a site, I would definitely consider PBR.

• Supporters

unless you're part of a regular team who are all going to invest in non-PMR446 radios there's no point getting anything else. A radio that can't talk to anyone else is kinda useless and 99% of airsofters use PMR446 because they're legal, attainable and universally compatible with all other PMR446 radios.

• Supporters

The main problem which screws PMR446 is terrain, but as has been noted, team members are usually close together (in relative geographical terms), which means that the only terrain which will shut you down completely is undulating ground and/or large solid walls - which also screw PBR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

The Motorla TLKR T80 lets you have free conversations using an original and stylish modern designed walkie talkie with all the usual features you would expect from Motorola 2-way radios. <- so do all of 'em.
This robust license free 2-way radio with a splash proof exterior is easy to use and has a range of up to 10km*, a useful built-in torch and 8 channels making it ideal for outdoor activities. <- bollocks. In a straight line over water maybe, but otherwise a couple of hundred meters through forest and blocked by hills/walls so hit'n'miss inside/around buildings - plasterboard walls and windows r good, solid brick walls r bad.

Features:

• Caller ID <- not needed
  • Group calls <- not needed
  • 8 PMR446 channels with 38 sub-channels and 121 codes <- standard
  • LED torch <- not needed
  • Splash resistant <- should bloody hope so
  • 10 call tones <- not needed (call tones are so annoying that hopefully you'll not be impolite enough to use any)
  • Back-lit LCD screen display <- standard
  • Headset port <- very important
  • Scan/Monitor function <- standard
  • Keypad lock <- standard
  • Mute function <- may be useful but not if you use a headset & you probably will
  • Battery level alert <- good feature
  • Automatic change of channel <- dunno what that does exactly but sounds potentially very annoying
  • Vibrate alert <- will just run the batteries down faster
  • Stop watch <- might be useful for some very specific milsim type circumstances, otherwise not needed
  • Rechargable NiMh batteries (included) or 4 x AAA batteries (not included) <- standard
  • Battery life in standby: approx. 16 hours with supplied NiMh batteries <- ok
  • Weight: 140g without batteries <- fraction heavy but not worth making an issue of
  • Size: 57 x 171 x 40mm <- big

Price = £80 <- probably fair enough for all the bells and whistles, but you don't need most of 'em.

---~---

The Motorola TLKR T60 lets you have free conversations using an original and styish modern designed walkie-talkie with the all the usual features you would expect from Motorola 2-way radios. It is the ideal way to stay connected for outdoor activities, with arange of up to 8km*. You do not need a licence and it is easy to use. The voice activation function makes it even more practical. <- you don't want this active b/c your AEG will trigger it
*The indicated communication range is based on optimum conditions of a space without obstacles. Various factors such as terrain, climate conditions, electromagnetic interference, physical elements (walls) can mean the range varies. <- exactly
Features:

• Up to 8km range <- see above - that is a standard claim though
  • Unlimited number of simultaneous users <- obviously
  • Frequency band: PMR446 - license free <- obviously
  • 8 channels, 38 sub-channels, 121 codes <- standard
  • Scan/Monitor function <- standard
  • Vox function: hands-free voice activation <- see above - use a headset & PTT instead
  • Keypad lock <- standard
  • Battery status indicator <- standard
  • Belt clips <- might be useful but may make you lose it - pouches are better
  • Rechargable NiMh batteries (included) or 4 x AAA batteries (not included) <- standard
  • Headset port <- very important
  • 5 call tones <- see above - not needed
  • Back-lit LCD display screen <- standard
  • Automatic disconnect function <- hopefully that means power saver function, otherwise it could be very annoying
  • Size: 5.5 x 16.5 x 3cm <- standard
  • Weight: 103g (without batteries) <- average

Price = £58 <- hmmmm, i'd say £50 is fair / doesn't mention "water/splash resistant" which may be very bad

---~---

These are the best value for money <- everything you need & more + very robust & excellent water resistance

You can also check out the Binatone Terrain 750s,they are something along the lines of Cobra and low-mid end Motorola radios. I have one,very battery efficient,splash resistant(Yet to test this!) really solid comms,cheap and robust,bog standard affordable radio IMO. Nothing fancy,few handy features like the low battery alert. Price is around 40-50£ depending where you buy from.

Binatone's also the OEM for a few Motorola radio models,if that helps :P

• Supporters

No offence UTJ, but as an experienced sound engineer, i wouldn't pay money for anything branded Binatone. Belongs in the bin a tone. Signal isolation from interference sacrificed to cost = usual MO. Better to keep the basics good and sacrifice features to keep costs down - like the cheaper Motorola TLKR range.

Archived