Girl wanting to play

GemW
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

erm feel like everyone who has posted on this actually believes this a real girl? its quite obvious that someone is just trolling no one says that they "have a boyish side to me who likes to play ps3 and get down and dirty. They just think I'm strange like that haha" i mean come on guys and i don't think they would have a selfie as a pp on here, c'mon!

I can 100% guarantee I'm the real deal! Yes I'm strange but don't leave stupid replies like that I'm only looking for some help and answers thanks.

Talking from a female perspective you should deffo give it ago. I ended up watching for half a day and went back to the next game to play :) I don't see many females but all the guys are friendly and don't treat me any different. As long as you don't mind the occasional male humour you will be fine :) good luck finding clothes that fit though :P most stuff drowns me :/

• Supporters

What would be the point in pretending? If someone were trolling and then just one day came out and said, "Oh yeah, btw I'm actually a guy" we'd all just be like, "Oh... Well you're a penis then." Then ignore them for being dishonest.

I think the level of help given is because we so rarely see girls show an interest, it's more or less essential we help as much as we can to stop her from deciding it's not her thing lol, the sport/hobby really needs more gun loving girls, I only know about 6.

• Supporters

In airsoft or total :D

On another note, female airsofters tend to be lethal. Been hit my Sam's wife several times :(

You're a nob, Marcus lol.

• Supporters

No you haven't, Frizz, I've turned up late as usual :lol:

Apparently nip-shots do really hurt and you'll be running around too.

Face-shots need to be avoided by women - regardless of whether that avvy is you, the relative position women maintain in the pecking order amongst their peers is greatly influenced by their perceived attractiveness to men, much more so than any status gained or lost by men reciprocally. It takes a particular attendance to style and a robust attitude to make facial scars sexy and it's pretty hard work (one of my sisters has that much admired British smooth milk white complexion and a pink line horizontally across her right cheekbone so it doesn't follow any of the lines of her face and is impossible to hide - she rocks it, but like I say, hard work).

It's not just eyes and teeth (they sometimes get chipped, snapped off, or shattered by direct hits) that need protection. As Ed mentioned, hits to bare skin do break the surface reasonably frequently and facial skin is much more tender than on the arms or legs, say. I have a permanent scar from a BB hit next to my nose. The shot managed to fit between a loose half-face mesh mask and small goggles and bled like fcuk! Still, at least it didn't embed under the skin - there's a vid on yt of a bloke having to squeeze a BB out like a big zit :lol: and I know a person to whom this has happened also. I hope this doesn't put you off, because it's not meant to. I'm just trying to make you aware of exactly how important hard full face protection is to you.

The problem with full face plastic masks is that your breath condenses inside them and flecks of spittle too, when you breath hard, and then there's however much your face sweats due to the exercise to consider. Masks with polycarbonate lenses will definitely fog up, even if you use anti-fog spray or wipes, but even those with mesh eyehole covers get a bit narsty inside. By contrast fencing style full face mesh masks, like the one somebody linked to above, allow easy ventilation. Something else to note is that the type of interwoven mesh used to construct them is better to look through than the perforated sheet type, as the largest barrier to see past is only as wide as the diagonal where two wires cross, whereas in perforation the holes are offset and the widest point is bisecting the triangular shapes left between the circular holes, around a third again longer, which leads to a faint overlay of shadow dots across your vision. You get used to it, but you get used to the much fainter effect created by wire mesh faster and without your eyes involuntarily refocussing close in anywhere near as often.

Aiming can be an issue, but it is perfectly possible to bend a mesh mask to accommodate a rifle stock a bit, but it is also likely that, if you get into airsoft and want your own gun, sooner or later you will want some kind of optical sight on it. It is perfectly possible to fit them on slightly higher mounts and still zero their aim, even if, like on my SVD sniper rifle, the centre line of the scope is four inches above the centre line of the barrel. This extra height means you don't have to press your cheek into the stock to take aim,

I don't bruise particularly easily. After a day skirmishing I usually have about four to eight round bruises randomly scattered over my body, about as big as two pence pieces. They don't usually hurt unless prodded, but they take more than a week to completely fade, so you could potentially always have some on the go if you get really enthusiastic for this sport. Places where hits can hurt long after you go home (and my recommendations) include:
hands, smaller knuckles especially (armoured gloves); trachea, maybe worse with an adam's apple, but either way covering the neck just makes you sweat more; middle of the forehead, there's a spot which feels headache-y and makes your eyebrows ache too (hats, helmets, headbands, scarves, comms straps, custom pad); knobbly bit on back of skull (see previous); ears, in theory a BB could really hurt you if it went right in your ear canal, but nobody's are straight enough for any hit to damage hearing (goggle and/or mask straps often go right over your ears and you can get mesh masks with ear guards, but they are bloody awkward to aim with, but a comms headset covers one ear - usually the left ear which, if you're right handed, is the one most often towards the enemy, and a headset adds more straps which can help cover the other ear); nipples (sports bra and anti chafe pads); nads and anus* (loose trousers and undies); back of the knee (if you wear knee pads to protect you when kneeling on sharp things/dirt, which is a good idea, the straps do pull your trouser fabric tight, which makes these painful hits possible, but they are rare - you could choose trousers with built in pads, but the looser they are, the more the pad can shift to either side, plus they are not as good when kneeling in wet mud/shallow puddles as strop on pads).
So long as you follow safety instructions, which are very simple and easy to stick to, including wearing boots with soles thick and solid enough to prevent puncture and with good ankle support, the above is the worst of it. The only problem you may encounter with a full face mesh mask is that you cannot simply put anything in your mouth whilst wearing it, you have to pull it away from your face. I reckon it is just about possible to do this without exposing your eyes, by bowing your head, but some sites may be much less common sense oriented and more 'letter of the rules' fixated, so this would not be allowed. The issue is drinking to rehydrate and sucking sweets to keep your mouth comfortably moist whilst you breath hard. Chewing gum may suffice for dry mouth and a hydration pouch on your back with a bite valve tube to drink from should just about get under a mesh mask without too much movement.
Lastly, it's such a laugh! Yeah, some women who 'soft are badasses, although TBF Wendy whom Ed mentioned isn't a badass due to airsoft, she's ex military. I expect that some women feel they have to be extra hard in the field to make up for any potential expectation on the part of men that women are the 'weaker sex'. IMO strength is relative; each sex has its natural advantages and disadvantages, but in a skirmish the stronger players are those who manage to do more to defeat the enemy team, which involves a whole variety of skills and both physical and mental traits, not least of which are cooperation with your own team, acuteness of hearing, and discernment of colour, all of which females, on average, do better than males. Anyway, my point is that you don't have to grow metaphorical testicles to enjoy airsoft. Plenty of women are as feminine camo'd up carrying a rifle as they are in slap, lippy, and heels. You're welcome as you are :)
Edit: oops, I almost forgot the asterisk! * No it wasn't a visual representation of an anus, I just meant to say "I sh!t you not!"

• Supporters

Just a note to add, in case you didn't read all of Ian's post (it took me a while lol) then I've been playing around 3 years, and the worst I have to show for it are a few scars on my arms, which are just down to me wearing short sleeves. You will by no means get shot in the tits, arse, face, hands, arms, elbows, backs of knees, knuckles ears and wherever else Ian covered in gratuitous detail, on the first day. You might get shot about 20 times or so, and it's not so bad.

I think it's fairly true to say that most airsoft sites run roughly 6 to 8 separate airsoft games in a day, 3/4 games before, and 3/4 after lunch. Depending on whether once you're dead you're out, or you get a number of lives, it's really impossible to get shot more than about 30 times at the most. Unless you find that you enjoy being shot and just run at people lol.

Wear long sleeves, get a face mask (you'll be given these things for your first few trips anyway as part of the site's hire package, I'd imagine) and you'll be golden.

Hello everyone. Im looking into starting up air soft and I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone could help me out. As the title states I am a girl. I was wondering if many girls do it? Also at the moment none of my friends want to do it... are people welcoming and friendly to loners like me lol. Also the pain..... Yes I know it hurts obviously but can anyone compare it to something? Hope people can help! Thanks

There's a girl at my local site in Guisborough I have seen a couple of times. Going by yourself is fine, since normally first time players will meet a group of people that they get talking to. As for pain, it massively varies from the equivalent of being flicked in the arm, to maybe being pricked or nipped really hard (It's quite hard to compare really). Sometimes BBs can draw blood (at very close ranges normally) and have the ability to knock teeth out (again normally at very close ranges and without face protection), since it happened to two of my friends at the same night game last month. It also depends where you get hit too, I find being sprayed full auto in the arse and back to be the most painful experience. :P

I went for my first skirmish the other week, and all I can say is that it was great fun! I believe Ed, Kaza and Ian were all there too. The pain isn't very bad so far... Didn't have any hits that were noticeably painful. Also, when your wearing thick camo it reduces the pain quite substantially. Finally, I rock a half mesh face mask at the mo and alternate between mesh/glasses for my eye pro. That covers my whole face, the only thing I guess not protected is my ears, but then again I look like a right pussy anyway compared to the kids with just glasses :/ Oh, and welcome to the forums! :D

• Supporters

GemW welcome, Ian and others have offered great advice already about what to expect, I thought I'd offer some about the kind of places available in the area. I've played quite a few sites and have to say the choice available in and around sussex is pretty damn good.

EAG, Elite Action Games have, Worthing, Gatwick which is actually the paintball place between Crawley and Horsham, they run the same Sunday but alternate with EAG Dorking, there is also the tunnels at Epsom but best to leave that till later. Dorking don't use tape or mark teams so probably best to start with Worthing or Gatwick. One of the marshals down at Worthing is a girl ( married to one of the other marshals/main game writer, but she does play) and is there most game days. Worthing are a great bunch of guys and girls. Can't say for Gatwick go with Jay and PT's comments.

There is also Ultimate Wargames Limpsfield in Surry which is a small site but very friendly.

• Supporters

Found this while I was trawling through pics for fb and cropped it for decency:

65033_235741593250392_1906191036_n.jpg

That's what a hit bruise looks like the day after.

• Supporters

I honestly can't remember what shots that was from - I know it was full auto because there were several more across both legs reaching up to my groin, but my local site FPS limit for AEG's is 368 so it may well have been a hotter gun than you'll face at your local site.

More like an eighth nipple, Marcus :lol:

Hahah I saw that on your Facebook.

The best thing to do is just go to your local site.

They can answer all questions and will usually be very supportive, weather your male, female,or even a bit of both!

Try it out just once, if you really don't like it, just go. They will understand as its not everyone's cup of tea!

Daz.

My girlfriend comes along to Airsoft and plays with out team... She loves it don't be worried about getting hit its not that bad ( shes a massive baby but don't think it hurts) go to your local site and have a go we currently have 3 girls playing at our site :) !!!

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is good luck :) Not in mean way just simply good luck, in this forum you will get loooads of help, especially if you ask Mr.Ian :D

I've seen and played with a girl on my team,she got hit multiple times in the face because she didnt want to wear a full face protection (I myself not fan of it) even tho if she got hit she kept on going, not a single cry or moan :D

Wishing you best! :P

Archived