Making A DMR! A few questions.

carlymbn
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello there,

I was looking to buy a new AEG and eventually (I'm short on cash) to make into a DMR. I stumbled across the G&G M14 EBR-L. This gun would be ideal for the DMR I wanted as the fps has to be lower than 360 and has a lot of upgrades available. However I cant afford it in one go. So the question is are there any cheaper options OR a gun that I could upgrade to make a G&G M14 EBR-L. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ben,

P.S I'm on a £220 budget.

Well, there is always the options of going for the G&P m14 dmr socom (red dot scope version), that's cheaper than the G&G.

Or you can go for a CYMA m14 EBR, still a solid gun with probably the best sounding bolt you'll ever hear.

FPS and power isn't a matter with any gun at all because you can always buy new springs to adjust fps and power.

Hmm the CYMA seems good, are there any necessary upgrades for it?

well, a tight bore barrel and better hop up bucking is probably all you need, the gearbox is pretty rock solid.

And since the CYMA m14 is a tokyo marui clone, it will need to take tm upgradable parts, otherwise it won't work.

For example, The G&G's m14 ebr hop up chamber is different to the Tokyo Marui hop up chamber, to more specific, it's an M14 specific hop up chamber. So you need special barrels to fit into it.

I don't know for sure but maybe the DeepFire 6.02 tight bore will fit since it has 2 cuts at the front to suit fit other hop up chambers. Maybe it will but it's better to ask first.

The standard G&G m14 falls into your budget, even stock it has amazing range and is suitable for a DMR.

Throw a tightbore in and with .30's you'll have amazing results. (Ed will confirm this, he gave me that advice RE my m14)

• Supporters

I know that the TM M14s have a special barrel cut, so you can't use standard AEG barrels. If the CYMA is the same, then that might be a little annoying.

The G&G M14s are epic, do as Teddy says and you'll have a ready DMR right out of the box. Something to bear in mind though, with the G&G M14 the mags can be hard to get hold of, especially if you don't want high caps. They're not compatible with other brand M14 magazines either as they have a different method of being hooked into the magwell.

£220 is an outrageously low budget for a DMR though. Traditionally DMRs are set to fire around the 400fps mark too, the G&Gs (or at least mine) came shooting at around the 390fps mark, and it's that fps boost that's going to give you your range and accuracy advantage, it lets you use heavier ammo. As above, .30s and a tightbore barrel and you're onto a winner, the barrel is going to stick at least another £30 or so onto the price of the gun though, and even then I wouldn't truly class it as a DMR.

I think what you're after is a regular AEG, with the appearance of a DMR. If you're after true DMR performance then you're going to be looking at more than £220 spent on just the gearbox alone, half again on the barrel and hop, if not more and then the price of the gun in the first place, mags, batteries, heavy weight ammo, optics - it's not cheap.

I know that the TM M14s have a special barrel cut, so you can't use standard AEG barrels. If the CYMA is the same, then that might be a little annoying.

The G&G M14s are epic, do as Teddy says and you'll have a ready DMR right out of the box. Something to bear in mind though, with the G&G M14 the mags can be hard to get hold of, especially if you don't want high caps. They're not compatible with other brand M14 magazines either as they have a different method of being hooked into the magwell.

£220 is an outrageously low budget for a DMR though. Traditionally DMRs are set to fire around the 400fps mark too, the G&Gs (or at least mine) came shooting at around the 390fps mark, and it's that fps boost that's going to give you your range and accuracy advantage, it lets you use heavier ammo. As above, .30s and a tightbore barrel and you're onto a winner, the barrel is going to stick at least another £30 or so onto the price of the gun though, and even then I wouldn't truly class it as a DMR.

I think what you're after is a regular AEG, with the appearance of a DMR. If you're after true DMR performance then you're going to be looking at more than £220 spent on just the gearbox alone, half again on the barrel and hop, if not more and then the price of the gun in the first place, mags, batteries, heavy weight ammo, optics - it's not cheap.

hmm, i'm pretty sure you've said before that you don't need fps that much and that the right hop up will do the job just as well.......

And i think the the guy wants the fps below 360 because maybe his site has the rule that if fps is above 370, it needs to be locked to semi. So maybe he wants the full auto feature just incase the gearbox locks up in semi.

Well, that's what i think anyways and I plan to do that if i ever go for a dmr, below 370 fps all the way!

In terms of upgrading the gun which one is better?

well, for the G&G, i think it takes standard aeg hop up chambers whilst the cyma takes m14 specific. Same with the barrels.

It depends on what you want but bear in mind, cyma's m14 bolt is the best sound ever! Search it on youtube. (Definitely not trying to make you go for the cyma)

Other options are to buy a G&G R8L (the one that comes with a red dot), buy a scope, get a bipod, get a cheap knock off magpul PRS stock or CTR stock and it'll be fine. Plus srping upgrade and barrel upgrade and you should be fine....

Or buy an APS ASR 110 and do the same with what i said about the G&G R8L.

Or go crazy and buy a Snow Wolf m82a1 (preferably the CQB version).

In the end I would like to end up with a very high end dmr which might take a while so I want something that 1) Has high end upgrade options 2) Will last until I'm able to upgrade it.

all of the guns we've mentioned will last for a long while without upgrades if you can't afford them now. And all have high end upgrades available.

• Supporters

The TM/CYMA would probably be the better bet for upgradability. Though in fairness, the M14 isn't the best platform available for turning into a DMR, if you intend it to be a long term project and you want to do the work on the gun yourself, then the M14s have seriously horrible gearboxes to work on, the G&G is worse than the TM/CYMA as well, so with regard to upgrades, I'd say to get the CYMA.

In terms of which is the best from the box, from personal experience I'd have to say G&G, I've never seen anything else have that much range without upgrades before, ever. The G&G bolt also sounds at least as good, if not better than the CYMA, but the CYMA bolt is full travel - not that it matters for anything other than aesthetic coolsies.

If you're dead set on an M14, I'd go for the CYMA one, out of the box it'll be good to go as a regular skirmish weapon, it has all the same part compatibility as the TM, but might take regular barrels (you'll have to read up on that) as Frizzle keeps saying, it has the most awesome bolt racking noise ever and the biggest selling point for me, is that it fits into the G&P M14 DMR body kit, which is sexy as hell.

• Supporters

TBH I don't think you can call a rifle a DMR unless it is locked off to semi and firing at 400-425 FPS. There's no need to have the whole "fps doesn't matter" debate again (pls ffs) - yeah, one gun with a good hop may outrange another with average hop, but if you put a hotter spring in the first it will fire even further and, as Ed says, will shoot heavier BB's fast enough that ppl can't just walk out of their way (unlike those coming out of a stock TM M14), improving accuracy.

Oh yeah, and CYMA guns come with a 6.04mm barrel as stock and a gearbox which can handle a 120 spring without further upgrade.

• Supporters

Agreed, anything shooting at standard AEG FPS is just a standard AEG. Regardless of how big a scope you put on it, someone with ironsights can shoot just as far as you. If you want something that outranges other guns but needs to be sub 360 FPS just buy a decent AEG and upgrade the hop and barrel, bare in mind though, lots of other people will have done the same.

All of my local sites have a 360 fps cap unfortunately. One of my buddy's built a G&G dmr but changed a couple of things around to get it down to 360 fps. He said as long as its consistent, only going 1 or 2 fps over or under 360, and is locked off at semi it can be regarded as a DMR.

I think you should ask your site about limits, DMR limit at our 3 local sites is 425 not 360, that would e the limit for aeg

Also Ian is correct, a DMR is physically locked to semi, it can't be switched to auto in any way and this is normally done by altering the selector plate or the auto bar in the gearbox itself

• Supporters

I haven't heard of a MED less than 20m, Moose. Usually 20m or 30m IME.

• Supporters

You may be right about some sites, Moose. I just haven't heard of any running 2 different MED's.

Archived