Whose up for night games!? (Night vision and tracers available to hire)

DazMK5
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive got a Gen 1+ night vision monocular which I dont use for Airsoft.

Its pretty good in terms of what it can see but I use it with a separate black light illuminator which is effectively an IR illuminator with a filter to block most of the visible light spectrum. Any torch or red laser shone at it would saturate the light intensifier.

It would be pretty useless for Airsoft as it needs focussing whenever you move. Its fine for spotting when you are in a stationary OP, but running and shooting, forget it.

• Supporters

even top-spec gen3 requires manual focusing, my snag was that despite it being the dogs bollocks in my room and garden the gen1 set that I have (dipol d125 for those who are interested) was arse in the woods for an actual game. The illuminator simply wasn't up to the job and beyond about 20 yards the definition provided wasn't enough to effectively ID a target, let alone aim at the bugger!

thats why I have an external xenon torch illuminator. It will detect a fox at several hundred metres, although a lot is to do with the reflection from their eyes (not so easy with Airsoft players wearing goggles etc).

• Supporters

Baz, can you give us a linky for your illuminater set-up?

Oh yeah, and have either of you (or anyone else) used gen1+ NVG designed for night driving?

No haven't used a night driving NVG. Didn't know they existed for that specific purpose.

Illuminator wise, Ive got one of these torches with the IR filter

http://www.nextorch.com/en/accessories.php?type_id=1

Dont use an LED torch, they don't emit the right frequencies.

• Supporters

Yeah, those soft helmet mounted Soviet ones (PNV-1 iirc) are designed for night driving. Reportedly the focus of them is poor at the periphery but very good directly in front. Obviously, since you are supposed to be operating a motor vehicle at night whilst wearing them, possibly at speed, the designers probably assumed you'd have both hands on the wheel (and The Doors on your illegally smuggled capitalist Sony Walkman), so they don't need to be manually focussed...

• Supporters

Yeah I heard that, James. Although they are gen1+ and I believe that "+" makes a big difference. I totally take your point about trying to aim over iron sights in the dark though. Ages ago I got an IR laser module because they were on sale on some website I was buying something else from, but I still need to fit it into a body in place of a red one, for the elevation & windage adjustment capability and pressure pad switch. Must get a round tuit. Can anyone lend me one?

Unless you are going for full mil-spec gen3 (Very expensive) then you will only ever be able to use NVG in a stationary situation. But this does not mean it can't be an asset. We plan to light the enemy base with black light so the attackers can use NVG without there built in ir lights so should be well concealed. The woods we will be using has no ambient light so ir will work well. The mark 1 eye ball is a good night vision tool if used in the correct way, we hope to run through this for 2/3 hours before the games start just to help people get more from the night - Mack from Special ops MK wrote this for me to post on here.

As said before there will be all kinds of different training before the game themselves start its not just a full on Airsoft battle this will be for those wanting more of a milsim feel to some night games.

Milton Keynes isn't the North.

Well I suppose its further North than Mitcham, but its not that far if you can get round the orbital car park.

Well I was talking about mostly any other towns/cities, I mean when I watch Scotties videos on YT in Scotland it just amazes me on how big and amazing looking site they have there, when you live near the centre of London, you are pretty much stuck with nothing interesting.

I don't know about in London but there are some good sites just beyond the M25 perimeter.

Obviously I appreciate transport is a problem if you don't have a car.

Its all set for tomorrow, anyone wanting any spaces left can call Mack, for more info go to the special ops airsoft facebook page and get the info off there.

• 2 weeks later...

How did the night game go ?

Sorry for the late reply.

Things went really well, the weather held out, had some light rain at the very start for no more then half an hour but after that the clouds all left and we had a full sky of stars and a full moon for most of the night, it was VERY eerie in the woods as there was no wind of any kind so after the owls and other animals went to sleep you could hear NOTHING, the trees were all very still this was both a good and bad thing as the smallest twig snap could be heard which really forced the attackers to take their time in their movements.

Mack and the marshalls gave lessons in map reading at night, use of the NVG and how to move in the dead of night and (as a defender) you could see how well they taught the players as even with the advantage we had from the lack of noise from the woods masking their movements we didn't know where they were till it was too late and they opened up on us.

When the shooting started it was mental as almost everyone was using the tracer units and rounds so all you saw was bright BBs flying all over the place in the dead of night which was great.

The NVG worked well as well there was comments about gen1 gear not being up the scratch in airsoft but no one complained about it at all, the base was lit up with black light and IR lamps which also helped the attackers see much better.

The games ran much quicker then expected so more games were added, by around 2-3am the clouds covered up the moon and stars which blocked what little natural light was lighting up the woods and one of the last games we played without any NVG or flash lights using our ears to hear where people are and what we learned from Mack about moving at night which was a lot of fun.

Only downside to the it was a lack of numbers but I think next time it will be busier as people now know how well it does work and was set up plus I think it will be advertised a bit better.

• Supporters

Wish I could have made it, but the cash wasn't available to me to do it in comfort and I wasn't well enough to have enjoyed roughing it.

whens the next planned night game im only a hours drive away and have a few mates that would be intrested in it

Ill keep you all posted at any future events held here :)!!

Archived