Special Forces SIM Game

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Oh yeah Cap'n, I was was taking that as agreed ( :lol: ). I'm talking about extra ideas to make a 3 team game give the SF's chance to win, rather than, as James rightly points out, get massacred as soon as any of either enemies regen.

No, there are lots of ways to make sure this doesn't happen.

There are so many variables that you can alter, its possible to remove these kind of risks.

Its all a matter of adaptive planning and having a set of marshals that understand the gameplan.

I now have a site interested in hosting a game and have a meeting planned to discuss the fine detail so Im looking forward to getting stuck in.

A lot of sites either didn't bother to reply to my simple enquiry or don't have enough facilities to support a decent SIM, so a lot have been discounted.

What happens if the 'Spec Ops' get in a nd rescue the Hostage and get out all within an hour of the start?

Do you reset and do it again?

Im not sure on this a well placed defensive team can hold indefientaley in airsoft because the opposing team is nine times out of 10 just random airsofters to make this a challange for the defensive team you would want some guys who know what they are doing hardcore milsim teams serving soldiers ect

Thanks for your thoughts guys. The thread has kind of tracked into a "lets design a SIM day" and the relative merits of different imagined scenarios but I will take your opinions onboard when developing the plan.

• Supporters

Oh I dunno, Chris. I wouldn't underestimate how much tactical knowledge people who skirmish regularly have picked up from all kinds of sources, or how much experience they have of making what they know work during a skirmish, even if that is, like me, just one really good tactic that always makes sense, so I've rinsed it. The main problem I see in the field is that we are often unable to quickly explain our ideas, or even what's actually going on, to each other quickly enough because we do not have a common succinct vocabulary.

When it gets to the whites of the eyes stage, when there's literally nothing but movement and firepower between you and a hand in the air, who can deal with "Uh, yeah target to your right, sort of two thirty-ish. He's moving round. Like, you know, to your right. Further right I mean. Yeah, there's another one over there somewhere as well. Where the other one is going. I think. That's where he was when I saw him last anyway. Er, three o'clock. Maybe three thirty. Behind the bush next to the bigger of those two trees. The bush on our side, on the right if you turn and look at it..."

"Target advancing right. That's two trying to enfilade us.", is much better but, unless you know that whomever you are speaking to knows what enfilade means, there's no point in saying it because it'd only take more thinking time to explain it. I swear, even just a little radio discipline like, with PMR446's to press the PTT and silently count "one banana" before you speak; to first identify yourself then say to whom you are talking; to think what you are going to say before you start talking so that you minimise the umming, ahing, uh, like, i mean, ya know, etc. all to increase intelligibility, would massively improve a team's chances, but combine that with a common syntax covering all basic situations and I believe the team's effectiveness would increase exponentially with every extra person 'online'.

All good basic stuff but that's what seperates a Team from just a group of people taking part in a 'Walk on' who might not have played as part of a team that has trained together or there might be several differnt teams all using different protocols etc.

• Supporters

Yeah Swoop, but I also believe that, if people pay attention, the basics can be taught quite quickly using a whiteboard to tie visual cues and diagrams to words and verbal descriptions.

• Supporters

True. Very true. Like herding cats. After the 1st regen, that's it :lol:

Still, depending on how it's sold to people, like if they know from the get go that they have absolutely no chance against superior numbers unless they do take on board what the event offers to teach them and use it in the field, maybe...

Ive listened to all your comments and have taken them onboard, particularly in relation to a third team and the split charging.

Im going to play a game there next weekend and do a recce and have a chat with the owner. They haven't really done anything of this complexity before and want to discuss it, so Its moving in the right direction. At least they seem professional, open minded and enthusiastic.

Some of the sites Ive talked to are shockingly unprofessional.

Fully agree. Talking to a few sites, they are just interested in churning out the same tired skirmish games. Its nice to talk to some people with a bit of vision.

Pretty much the whole LARP world runs on this mechanic, the players pay full ticket price while volunteers get in for free or something along the lines of 10% ticket price and play the bad guys (which can be really fun), depending on where the site is i'd happilt be an evil merc for the day. First post by the way hi guys and girls.

As a noob I'd definately be up for this.

It would give valuable experience & be pretty fun on top of it all.

Archived