Dirty Boots and Kit?

CaptainSwoop
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Not read all of this but, you wouldn't go play 90 minutes of football and not wash your kit before the next game would you?

Your kit inevitably gets damp/muddy when playing, leaving it on your floordrobe attracting all sorts of rubbish just isn't healthy or hygienic.

Regards Boots, at least brush the crap off under a tap, its good for the longevity of the boots for starters to get the mud off, and give it a single thick layer of Kiwi black, good for waterproofing and protecting the leather. No need to buff them up, you wouldn't out in the field anyway, just leave them dull, but clean...Don't be grotty.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like shiny boots,I only polished my Pro-boots for a photo.

I do however use frightening amounts of some creamy wax thing(Unbranded,came from some care kit or whatever) And it really helps water resistance,especially in some areas where the Pros are more vulnerable. gives a nice matte look.

I run an Alice/Soviet/Pat58 hybrid abomination rig thing,I just spray everything down lightly with a pressure sprayer, leave it to dry and maybe fabreeze it if I jumped in some cow sh*t or whatever.

KLMK is super handy as it's a onesie,it rather resistant to fading. It's 30-ish years old,been issued,used heavily and of course lots and lots of washing. Still retains it's original color and looks new from the wash(From a distance,until you notice the blood stains,field repairs and such...)

My gear usually looks good as new on the day but no shiny bullshit.I like running around in fresh kit before I sweat like a priest in a playschool or a knacker trying to read.

• Supporters

I put my trousers and top in the wash after each game, guns get a quick external clean if they're lucky, and the sniper gets its barrel cleaned every once in a while if it's very lucky. Boots I'll bash them against a tree or the wall before I leave, but I very rarely clean them. Vest I wait for mud to dry, then scrape most of it off, but don't spend excessive amounts of time cleaning anything.

I am the same, as normally I am knackered when I get home :)

• Supporters

Well PT, unfortunately I have reason to know a good deal more about psychology, psychiatry, and indeed sociology, than i wish to - it's a bit like a master baker watching someone else master bake and then being obliged to join in... the resulting biscuit cannot be simply enjoyed for its flavour and texture, there's a whole raft of decision making, reasons, and possibilities that go into each nuance; basically there is no such thing as an innocent master baker.

As you have noted, I'm also an accomplished rhetorician. I would be lying if I claimed that flexing those mental muscles gives me no pleasure, however a quick recap will disabuse you of any suspicion that I am attempting to big up ma chest at your expense, for I have said nothing at all about you personally. That would be to commit the sin of ad hominem, which, to my mind at least, is way worse than allowing boots to wear out faster than need be for laziness' sake. I have stated that such laziness is morally comparable to other more commonly recognised culpable behaviour, to wit receiving stolen goods, however I have not even resorted to the common "lazy bugger", have I?

I get it that one or even several hundred pairs of boots are a very small item in the grand scheme of things, but let us for a moment consider the hypothetical journey one pair may have taken before reaching an airsoft site:

Our protagonists are deployed and find themselves worn by a young soldier in the desert. They have just encountered a camel, which is fortuitous for the soldier and his fellow platoon members because not thirty minutes previously their sergeant had noted that they had little to do and driven them out into the middle of nowhere and ordered them to pick up and carry the huge pile of straw they found loafing there. Naturally each man would have liked to reduce his own burden by as much as possible, but they all realised that there is some unknown limit to the amount a camel can carry. Let's cut a long story short and simply ask, when the camel's back breaks, whom is more culpable, those soldiers who loaded their share of what seemed a conservative estimate of what the beast could in fact carry, or those who thought "Out of all the straws going on that camel, the extra few I'm going to put on it don't matter." and packed the camel with enough to reduce their own burden to a comfortable weight?

what ever makes you happy Ian.

Being judged as some heinous villain because I do not polish my boots is just ridiculous in my eyes however logical it may be in your own.

People have told me I read too much into some stuff in the past, but this thread really takes the biscuit.

Seeing how much effort you have put in to trying to get your point across it almost makes me feel bad for still not being bothered to even clean my boots let alone polish them, but I still don't, and won't no matter how bizarre or convoluted you become with your rhetoric.

I wash my clothing after every skirmish (particularly the shemagh which ends up sodden and stinking if sweat, stale smoke and spicy food mostly). My boots get put in a plastic bag for the drive home, and aired in the porch before being put away. Sometimes ill bang the mud off them and every now and then they'll get a clean down. Then again I currently have very cheap boots - if I'd spent more on them I might look after them).

Holsters, belt, vest, etc don't tend to get cleaned but if they were totally encrusted in mud I might do.

• Supporters

But, PT, I haven't judged you as a heinous villain, I have likened your laziness to some other mildly culpable behaviour. I realise that in this discussion you cannot escape the position that admitting your laziness has placed you in and naturally you do fully understand that, whilst it is not a heinous offence, waste through sheer laziness is culpable. This is why you attempted to divert the discussion topic onto my reasons for continuing the discussion at all, not quite there but definitely flirting with ad hom, and now you are attempting to simply ridicule my position by claiming that I have said something extreme when I have not.

Trust me, this takes very little effort :lol: I will not be unpleasant about how little attention this requires, there is no need. However attempting to characterise me as a nutter who would obsessively expend a great deal of effort over that which you are attempting to portray as meaningless is yet more indication that you have nothing but cannot either just admit it or cease.

Also, let me be clear, my purpose here is not to make you feel bad. I don't care how you feel. I am simply demonstrating so that there can be no confusion that your professed attitude makes no sense and that there are consequences other than simply having to pay for more boots that result from being lazy. I fully realise that, at this stage, if I started telling you that there is something wrong with allowing laziness to be the reason for not shagging, you would become celibate, and naturally I don't care: you are not the only person reading this.

Archived