Question about gun rules for U18?

Ccowa1
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

An under 18 cannot buy a gun unless it is gifted by an adult who buys it. To own a black/camo gun you need a UKARA defence (3 games, 2 months) If you don't have a UKARA number, then you have to buy a two-tone or transparent gun. There are loads of threads in the law section covering UKARA and two toned guns.

Hope this helps, If you need any question just ask :D

And oh, Welcome to AF-UK, we hope you enjoy your stay

Oh right! So Two-tone for U18, OK thanks!

You're welcome. Word of advice if you're going to get a gun. Go no cheaper than £100, or you're going to get a load of crap. Don't buy from JustBBGuns, or anything with "BB guns" or "Just" in it's name

Zak is mostly right but it's worth noting that UKARA isn't required, it's a common misconception. There are other ways to prove to retailers you have a defence but it's a bit of a pain in the arse so I'd recommend just getting on the UKARA database.

To buy a realistic gun you need to be at least 18 AND a regular airsofter and not just some guy who wants a gun, the easiest way to prove this is by getting on the UKARA database by playing at least 3 times over a period of two months at a UKARA registered site, they'll stamp a player registration form for you, and then you post that to a UKARA registered retailer and from then on you'll be on the database and able to buy a rif from any UKARA registered retailer.

Notice how I never said 'licence' though. There is no licence, UKARA is a retailers association (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association) designed to provide a DEFENCE against prosecution to retailers and buyers of airsoft guns.

It's like calling a magazine a clip. You could say clip and people would still know what you mean, but you would still be wrong so it's worth learning the difference.

Oh right! So Two-tone for U18, OK thanks!

Not quite. It's not illegal to OWN a rif, just to buy one without a defence. A U18 cannot buy an airsoft gun full stop, whether it's RIF or Two-Tone. But since it's not illegal to own one and just to buy one, an airsoft gun of any kind can be GIFTED to a U18, so long as it was bought by someone who can buy one. But if any money or service is given for that gun, THEN it's illegal.
The laws around this thing are pretty loose.

• Supporters

the best to buy two tone is justbbguns

While I hate to use such language (not true), ignore this cunt. Best bet for a two tone is zero one, they do a free two tone service ( which I object to, get a defence! ), just BB guns are wankers and will sell you overpriced rubbish.

While I hate to use such language (not true), ignore this c*nt. Best bet for a two tone is zero one, they do a free two tone service ( which I object to, get a defence! ), just BB guns are wankers and will sell you overpriced rubbish.

ohrite mate, calm down. Just occasional banter.

And dominance, POWA!

NOT two tone for under 18. You don't need any kind of "licence" or any kind of defence to OWN a realistic imitation firearm. It is the act of selling the RIF that is illegal.

An under 18 cannot buy any kind of IF. They can, however, be gifted one. For it to be gifted, there must be nothing accepted in return. This includes odd jobs, baked bean tins, cash, anything!

Now, if the person gifting the IF can prove to a retailer that they offer them (the retailer) a defence under the VCRA, then they can purchase a RIF, and gift it to the under 18. There are NO rules about possession (excepting "don't run up the street with it in view as you are likely to get shot" or variations thereof) and there is nothing that says an under 18 cannot possess and even own a RIF.

There is an argument about "manufacturing" a RIF (I.E. taking a two tone and painting it black, or replacing the painted bits with new black bits), and whether an under 18 can do this. My reading of the law supports the view that an under 18 is able to avail themselves of the "skirmishers" defence for manufacturing. The age limit applies only to purchasing IF's, not to the manufacture of them.

See guys, you have confused poor Ccowa1. I just usually only state the UKARA defence because it's easy to explain, otherwise we could be here for months.

Ok, from the top:

The law states you need A DEFENCE to own a black gun and you also need to be over 18 in doing so to buy it in the first place.

The most recognisable defence is UKARA.

However, if you regularly skirmish at a site, then you have a defence as well, maybe the site owner will recognise you as a regular or you could keep a diary of when you go, with each date being signed by one of the game marshals.

You can have a defence at any age, this can also allow to "modify" your IF (two-tone) into an RIF. (So for example, you could get your two-tone gun and paint it black or camo once you have a DEFENCE)

These are ways in which can allow you to own an RIF:

• You are a 'registered' airsofter with membership of an insured skirmish site. To be registered, you must attend a properly organised and insured airsoft site and play for at least three days over a period of no less than two months. Even if you attend and play the three days in your first week, UK Law requires that two months pass from the first day you attended before you can legally be registered.
  • You are a member of a properly insured historical re-enactment group or society.
  • You are a film, television or theatre production company.
  • You are (or are acting on behalf of) a museum
  • You are a Crown Servant in pursuance of your Crown duties

See guys, you have confused poor Ccowa1. I just usually only state the UKARA defence because it's easy to explain, otherwise we could be here for months.

Ok, from the top:

The law states you need A DEFENCE to own a black gun and you also need to be over 18 in doing so to buy it in the first place.

The most recognisable defence is UKARA.

However, if you regularly skirmish at a site, then you have a defence as well, maybe the site owner will recognise you as a regular or you could keep a diary of when you go, with each date being signed by one of the game marshals.

You can have a defence at any age, this can also allow to "modify" your IF (two-tone) into an RIF. (So for example, you could get your two-tone gun and paint it black or camo once you have a DEFENCE)

These are ways in which can allow you to own an RIF:

• You are a 'registered' airsofter with membership of an insured skirmish site. To be registered, you must attend a properly organised and insured airsoft site and play for at least three days over a period of no less than two months. Even if you attend and play the three days in your first week, UK Law requires that two months pass from the first day you attended before you can legally be registered.
  • You are a member of a properly insured historical re-enactment group or society.
  • You are a film, television or theatre production company.
  • You are (or are acting on behalf of) a museum
  • You are a Crown Servant in pursuance of your Crown duties

Thanks for clearing that up, i'm just a bit new to buying the guns.

Thanks for clearing that up, i'm just a bit new to buying the guns.

Totally fine mate. I was totally clueless about it as well when I started airsoft and was very annoyed when I found out I couldn't get an RIF until I was over 18. I had to wait 3 god damn years. (Now it will soon be one :D There will be an RIF spending spree next year)

• Supporters

Ok, from the top:

The law states you need A DEFENCE to own a black gun

Sorry to say mate, the above is wrong, the law states you do not need a defence to own a RIF, only to buy one

Actually you're BOTH wrong. The law ACTUALLY states that the person selling the RIF is committing a defence, unless the person buying it is one of several groups of people who it is legal to sell to.

Confusing I know, but it's an important difference. You cannot commit an offence by buying a RIF (as long as you are over 18), it is the seller who commits the offence, and hence it is up to the seller to decide what level of proof they will accept. UKARA is one method of proving the defence, there are many others.

Zak, the number of games and time limit required are for you to be included on the UKARA register. Nowhere are they stated in law. Again, an important point.

Very true, but most people who ask for a defence that's not UKARA will more likely or not want someone to have done a certain amount of games in a few months. Otherwise, someone just wanting an RIF might go skirmishing one and then say "ok, I've done my game, gimme that gun"

Archived