Batteries and equivalents?

Lozart
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Can anyone tell me if there's and easy way to best work out what voltage and type of battery will work in any given gun? I ask as I was wondering if a LiPo would give me better trigger response in my TM M4A1 but I don't want to lash out on new batteries if it's going to burn out my motor! Currently using an 8.4V NiMh.

most std guns will not suffer damage with a 7.4v 2200 LiPo, the 2200 should last you all day depending on your firing style (I mainly use semi but flick to auto when making a run or when suppressing)

• Supporters

7.2 lipos will be fine. There's a lot of myths about them being dangerous or too powerful but unless you have a justbbguns special, you're gun will be fine.

Lipos are better than your normal NimH/Nicads in pretty much every way- there's no reason not to use them these days.

An 8.4V Nihm or Ni-cad is really the base option for most guns. A 9.6V Nihm would work fine without any changes to your current gun and would "probably" charge fine with your current charger for your 8.4V. It would also give you an increase in ROF and probably speed up the trigger response as well.

Changing to a 7.4V Lipo will give you about the same increase as using a 9.6V Nihm, but will involve buying a different Lipo specific charger (Lipos charge through the small white balance lead, not through the connection to the motor lead), as well as the Lipo itself. Unless you go for a higher mAh Lipo (e.g. the 2200 mentioned) then you might need to buy a second one to change at lunch if you are trigger happy. Alternatively, buy the Lipo and keep the Nihm as a spare, although to be perfectly honest a change to a 9.6V Nihm even as a spare would still be worthwhile, as they're not that expensive from Componentshop.

Don't even look at an 11.1V Lipo unless your gun has a really strong, upgraded gearbox, as the extra power of a 11.1V Lipo will overstress most any bog standard gearbox and result in a fairly quick breakdown.

• Supporters

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I already have a charger that will do all types so that's no issue. Think I'll take a look at the 7.4 Lipos.

Archived