What ruins an airsoft day for you? (apart from cheaters)

Jake117
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

People on their high horses talking to you like crap just because they've been at a particular site longer than you, and some Marshalls talking to you like a child even though you've been alive more than a lot of them and being playing Airsoft way longer.

They should wind their necks in and grow up or go and join the proper army and see how far treating people like horse crap gets them.

It's a game, we've all paid to play. It's a game, only a game.

I don't get any hassle at Viking, but when I went to Billericay, I used to get a lot of hassle from a few "advanced" players and marshals treating me like s*** because I don't have all that Gucci gear and use an RIF. I mean I know that I have to take my bloomin' mag out when I reach the safe zone and I know how to f***ing shoot with a gun I've owned for almost a year. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I hate....................................... Elitist geardo twats that put everyone else down because they have a cheaper gun or surplus kit.

We all play with toy guns and my £12 combats do the same job as your £250 Crye trousers!

• Supporters

When people take advantage of their team's regen/medic rules to cripple the enemy team.

For example, at Skirmish there's a regular game on the village area, where one team have to defend and they get a pair of medics. So if they get hit, the medic has to come to them, and it often takes the coordination of the whole defending team to safely get the medic around the area to keep everyone up and running.

The attackers have infinite regen.

The way the winner is decided is by which team can attack and clear out the defenders the fastest, as the game is turned around.

Anyway, quite often the attackers think "Well, I've got infinite regen, I'll just do a suicide run to locate the medic, then another one to kill him"

To me, that is just being a dick. I know it's only a game, but just because the rules say you have infinite lives, shouldn't mean that each one is utterly worthless to you. Plus, it just shortens the length of one of the best games of the day.

• Supporters

^^By extension, taking advantage of game mechanics also, such as hiding behind, or using the distraction of, dead men walking to gain position. Ooooooooh... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (v^^v) I've just remembered!

Dead men talking!

Passing on intel on the way back to regen. I mean ffs, that is no excuses deliberate cheating. I'm prepared to forgive the odd instance of non hit taking - in the heat of the moment I think it's understandable that ppl may be so into it that they just don't want to take a hit. Not that it's excusable, just imo forgiveable. But there's 'no heat of the moment' excuse for telling a team mate where a hidden shooter is, for eg, which seems to be the most common thing that I've heard passed on. There should be a 'sin bin' penalty for that.

+1 to people passing on Intel. Being a sniper, you can spend a lot of your time sitting in one place, especially whilst defending. This meant I used to get shot after shooting a guy before he tells his mates where I was hiding. So I slowly started to learn that after I shoot someone, I relocate to a different position overlooking my previous spot. It worked a charm (most of the time, some people learned what I was doing), being able to shoot the people that came back looking for me.

• Supporters

thats true, but its not worth the jock-itch

They dry on you pretty quick. There's no way wet kecks would stop me from going.

I was supposed to be going to a special invite CQB today. Bought my train tickets in advance; prepped my gear to be light enough to carry easily for the walk from bus stop to venue; got the bus timetable .pdf onto my phone and the googlemap of the area downed so it's available even if i can't get a signal; made an arrangement to meet somebody to buy a scope; booked a cab for 05:45 this morning; and it's the first time this venue will be [at this fcuking moment grr(v^^v)] skirmished - I really wanted to go.

A few weeks ago I'd probably have gone, but writing about what ruins airsoft for me made me properly understand that it's going when I'm not fit. Last night, when I still hadn't got to sleep by about 01:30 and needed to be up by 05:25 at the latest, I started thinking maybe I would be better to leave it. What convinced me though is the reason I was still awake - back pain. If i'd arrived there this morning after a cab, 2 trains, and a bus with my back in bad shape I'd have been limping from the get go and tiredness would have made me grumpy about it. Better to sit it out and hope that a long hot bath and relaxing today is enough to get me fit for woodland skirmishing tomorrow.

If my back had been fine, wet kecks would have barely registered as a problem, let alone stopped me from going! Itchy crotch!?! For the love of fcuk, sometimes I despair of our youth!

When people take advantage of their team's regen/medic rules to cripple the enemy team.

For example, at Skirmish there's a regular game on the village area, where one team have to defend and they get a pair of medics. So if they get hit, the medic has to come to them, and it often takes the coordination of the whole defending team to safely get the medic around the area to keep everyone up and running.

The attackers have infinite regen.

The way the winner is decided is by which team can attack and clear out the defenders the fastest, as the game is turned around.

Anyway, quite often the attackers think "Well, I've got infinite regen, I'll just do a suicide run to locate the medic, then another one to kill him"

To me, that is just being a dick. I know it's only a game, but just because the rules say you have infinite lives, shouldn't mean that each one is utterly worthless to you. Plus, it just shortens the length of one of the best games of the day.

But at the same time when defenders sometimes leave the medic in one building and just defend the medic and leave the rest of the team out to dry.

Or send a couple out to just play hide and seek in the woods and get the attacking team a penalty when they can't be found.

• Supporters

Anti reversal latches and trigger units. They can go die in a hole.

TBH there's no excuse for designers to have carried on with the anti-reversal latch as is, when it would be very simple to make its axle fit into a high enough collar that it could not be pushed at an angle by its own spring tension, or to have the gearbox close with it loose and put the spring under pressure by manipulating it from outside.

Wet socks. The bane of all my airsoft games. I started carrying spares with me recently and that's actually helped my play effectiveness by a large margin!

Irish weather,though I have negated getting wet a lot since I can wear waterproof clothing under my KLMK comfortably.

Really,just those two. I've moved sites and my old place was chock full of cheaters and kiddies,Bellurgan is really a nice place,Though I'm yet to feel the atmosphere at a milsim game. Still waiting till OP Hamemrfall then...

• Supporters

They dry on you pretty quick. There's no way wet kecks would stop me from going.

I was supposed to be going to a special invite CQB today. Bought my train tickets in advance; prepped my gear to be light enough to carry easily for the walk from bus stop to venue; got the bus timetable .pdf onto my phone and the googlemap of the area downed so it's available even if i can't get a signal; made an arrangement to meet somebody to buy a scope; booked a cab for 05:45 this morning; and it's the first time this venue will be [at this fcuking moment grr(v^^v)] skirmished - I really wanted to go.

A few weeks ago I'd probably have gone, but writing about what ruins airsoft for me made me properly understand that it's going when I'm not fit. Last night, when I still hadn't got to sleep by about 01:30 and needed to be up by 05:25 at the latest, I started thinking maybe I would be better to leave it. What convinced me though is the reason I was still awake - back pain. If i'd arrived there this morning after a cab, 2 trains, and a bus with my back in bad shape I'd have been limping from the get go and tiredness would have made me grumpy about it. Better to sit it out and hope that a long hot bath and relaxing today is enough to get me fit for woodland skirmishing tomorrow.

If my back had been fine, wet kecks would have barely registered as a problem, let alone stopped me from going! Itchy crotch!?! For the love of fcuk, sometimes I despair of our youth!

It was fucking epic Ian, I'll get the videos up as soon as I can.

Here's the photo album in the mean time:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.560035727378307.1073741858.260168627365020&type=1

Annoyingly my camera died before I went on a mental pistol only kill streak though =[

• Supporters

That site looks epic. Do the site provide the riot shields or are they personal kit? Where abouts in the country is it and what's the history?

It's in Wentworth, South Yorkshire. That was the first day, invited ppl for cheap walk on price to help evaluate how the owners of the company, Skirmish Airsoft Mansfield, had planned games in the space. It is going to become a regular event, next in October, so if it's not too far from you, check their fb page or forum for dates,

The riot shields are personal kit.

I can't even express how disappointed I am that I couldn't go, Ed, and jealous. Fcuking jealous. It does look really good. I've been invited to go up there with S, W & DL the night before the next one and stay over in a cheap hotel, so depending on when it is exactly and what else a gwaan an ting, I might well do so b/c my back will be in best shape that way, I suspect.

• Supporters

The riot shields were completely invaluable. I imagine they'll buy a few for each team and give them out, because without them clearing the upper floors of the buildings is literally impossible.

+1 to people passing on Intel. Being a sniper, you can spend a lot of your time sitting in one place, especially whilst defending. This meant I used to get shot after shooting a guy before he tells his mates where I was hiding. So I slowly started to learn that after I shoot someone, I relocate to a different position overlooking my previous spot. It worked a charm (most of the time, some people learned what I was doing), being able to shoot the people that came back looking for me.

To be honest, whilst dead men talking is wrong, in the circumstances you describe it only accelerates the inevitable - by the time they get back to regen they can legitimately spill the beans anyway.

I have seen dead men, awaiting medic revival, speaking over comms. I think a running commentary from a corpse is much worse then someone giving the location of a sniper a few minutes earlier before try would be legitimately entitled to.

• Supporters

Well Awol, if the sniper is semi-disabled by pain & thus out of condition, like me for instance, those few mins can be the difference between successfully displacing and being spotted shambling about like a cross between a scarecrow and a bonfire night guy made by kids stuffing camo clothes with foliage.

I have to confess to once having done the dead man on comms myself :blink::wacko: In my defence, I was waiting for a medic rather than "dead" and only saying that it wasn't safe for a medic to try to get to me, rather than giving over enemy strength & positions. We were also getting buttfucked, in large part due to less than optimal hit taking on the part of the opposition, so although I did feel guilty, i also felt justified on balance.

Archived