What ruins an airsoft day for you? (apart from cheaters)

Jake117
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hit calling aside, what really ruins a day of airsoft for you? My personal worst time airsofting was at UCAP Bunker. When the teams were made, me and my friends were put on a team with 90% of the people renting where as the opposing team consisted mostly of two large teams that had all turned up together complete with tricked out guns, coms ect. This manifested itself as us getting destroyed every game and at one point getting stuck in spawn for half an hour straight at the opposite end of site from the safezone. The whole day was crap and I ended up leaving wishing I'd had just stayed at home and saved myself 30 or so quid.

Unbalanced teams aren't always so bad.

I love my local's under 18's games. We may be swamped with a quite poor team from time to time (no offence to them, they are just very inexperienced) but we still have a lot of fun. It's not always about winning, although we still usually do once we decide to stop running around like lunatics.

Bad re spawns are the worst though. Had a game at Warminster where there were 3 sides. Our spawn was in the middle, near enough to a main objective. WHO PUTS AN OBJECTIVE NEXT TO A SPAWN!!! Needless to say we had both other teams coming from either side, got annihilated and then could not spawn as taking 1 step away from the flag would result in a peppering.

Also in that same game, i decided to climb the church tower and set up my G36. When i got to the top, i noticed a cow bell hanging from the top. My entire team decided to have a little fun and ping shots off the bell while we were waiting for the attack.... Team killed and had to trudge back to regen....

I dont mind slightly unbalanced teams or losing. But when your entire team gets pinned down at spawn for 30mins (we were meant to be the attacking team too) you know the marshals have majorly screwed the pooch in balancing the teams.

But yer that does seem quite stupid putting a spawn next to the objective. Pretty much the same situation as me (instant respawn, get killed repeat) except with a different cause.

I had a similar experience as Tariq with a bad respawn point, it's not nice. I also hate it when you go to a small/medium sized site and it's overcrowded with too many players as it doesn't make for a great experience.

Hit calling aside, what really ruins a day of airsoft for you? My personal worst time airsofting was at UCAP Bunker. When the teams were made, me and my friends were put on a team with 90% of the people renting where as the opposing team consisted mostly of two large teams that had all turned up together complete with tricked out guns, coms ect. This manifested itself as us getting destroyed every game and at one point getting stuck in spawn for half an hour straight at the opposite end of site from the safezone. The whole day was crap and I ended up leaving wishing I'd had just stayed at home and saved myself 30 or so quid.

i know what you mean, have also been to a site where all the new players were on 1 side and the "home" team and all their mates were on the other, wanting to use the new guys for target practice. I remember fondly numerous times the home team were knocked back and had their a$$es handed to them!

The main thing (well 2, but they're related) that ruins things for me is apathetic marshalling and poorly thought out games, i.e. bugger we'll have to think of something quick!

• Supporters

Marshals or site staff being rude or obnoxious for no reason whatsoever.

I thought John from Free Fire Zone was a monumentally blunt cock whenever anyone asked him a question when I visited that site a couple of weeks ago. There was no thought given to how new players to the site were supposed to work things out, there seemed to be an assumption that everyone there knew everything the staff were thinking before they said it, which led to a lot of things being poorly explained and when questions were asked they'd be very rude in how they responded to you. Made me want to slap them all in the face.

Terrible respawns was a factor in that day as well. The site is massive, spawns would be at either end, and not once did they implement any medic rules, which would've worked fantastically well, because instead of people just cheating because they couldn't be arsed to face the walk to regen 50km away, they could've worked well as a team to get a medic to them.

They also allow blind firing, which I think is disregarding safety to some extent, but then they wouldn't let you use an pyro not bought on site because it would be "too loud"... We're in the middle of a fucking forest in the middle of nowhere?! Who's going to complain about the sound? Just seemed like an excuse to milk you like a money cow for pyro.

The dead rag rule just seemed like an excuse to not bother policing over kill as well.

Bad site, badly run, won't be going again in a hurry.

Their incredibly irritating accents didn't make it any better either.

Completely agree with FFZ and also the Marshalls at Urban are just as bad tbh - they are normally only friendly to the regular SF COD Delta style regulars who go

Jake was it a recent game at bunker as my cousin went on his own and he said had amazing eve other team got raped lol he was using m16 with mental rof and tracers and probs wearing a black hoody

• Supporters

To be honest not alot spoils it for me, they way i see it every player will break a rule at some point. Play the game, forget/forgive the bad, remember the good :)

that said my pet hates are, Getting spawn camped, poor/no marshalling.

One thing that was ruining my day was not being able to figure out why I was getting hit as soon as I left cover. Happened for about half an hour. Spent a long time in respawn thinking about where I was going wrong. Then I noticed that I wasn't even getting hit: It was my player tag slamming into my plate carrier causing a small vibrational tap and a noise like a bb hit.......I was seething at my own stupidity at this point!

And the worst part; marshals had noticed and were having a right good laugh about it...cheers guys

The worst thing I have had came from poor marshaling, not explaining things properly and sitting on their arses when things weren't going right.

They also employed some ingame marshals from regular players and as we left the site staff were sat with them while they slagged off all the 'newbs' (I hate that term) because they were no good. If you don't want people who are new don't do hires so they can't come.

uneven/unfair teams. So like when one team is mainly new players with stock guns <£300, some with camo, no radios. Other team is mainly experienced players all have full equipment, upgraded guns, aimpoint/acogs, tac lights, radios and is used to play as a team.

Damn, need to mix up the teams (althou the experienced players generally will rather stop playing that swapping team)! no challenge for the experienced team and no fun for the new players.

Also adults behaving like 4 year olds (you know, the one that stands up, goes tomato red in their face while shouting "take your hits" to some 14 year old along with a whole bunch of swearwords while empting their midcap on full auto in a semi only zone)

Un-trialed gear turning out to be a major pain in the arse.

When I got my m14 I went to the first skirmish with it using just my alice belt, two waterbottles and a butt-pack. I of course tried it on with all my kit and all seemed good.

Got to the game, kit as it does, bounced about as I ran, resulting in it falling down and the weight of it taking the top button off of my combats. Then spent the rest of the day, having to stop, pull up my trousers, pull down my shirt, put the alice belt kit back on, and then carry on. To be honest because of this I couldn't get stuck in and ended up being at the back, seeing NO action, none at all, and then being monumentally bored.

The sight on the m14 has a smaller apeture than I'm used to as well, with a fogged pair of goggles ( thanks to having to do the aforementioned every 10 minutes) and a over priced POS lower face mask I had to buy on site because I forgot mine, I couldn't hit jack sh*t when I did manage to get close to the enemy, nor see at all.

Last time out I lost a pistol, broke a pistol, and then my primary packed in. This after someone with a hot gun had shot me in the face on full auto from next to no distance.

Fortunately the gun problems happened right at the end, so didn't kill the whole day, as it was a good 80-100 mile drive too!

• Supporters

Yeah, guns packing in really depresses me, especially when mods I've made get one working really well, only for my efforts to avoid being smug to go for naught :lol: and the sheer joy of picking people off at further range than I'm used to to be replaced by that type of fun which is only maintained by sheer enthusiasm, ie "Alright I'm pissed off with myself and my fcuked up gun, but I'm still here to have a laugh and have a fcuking laugh is what I will do... if it fcuking kills me!"

Nobs irritate me. One time the atmosphere at Skirmish got so bad, due to a misunderstanding over hit taking (what else ffs?) being blown out of all proportion by young men with more testosterone than wisdom, that I felt like some kind of spiteful nobheadery might occur in the safe zone or car park. TBH I'd have felt better about it if what I feared would happen had been a fight. Like, even if it had involved both small groups of friends steaming into each other, rather than just the two main protagonists, a few bruises later, some yelling and bans and chances are that would have been that. A few weeks later and profuse apologies may well have seen 'the defenders' reinstated as welcome... But the character of the worst 'side' seemed to be such that what I actually feared was some kind of theft and/or vandalism which could well spill over onto people who had fcuk all to do with it and would be a worse stain on the site's rep than a simple punchup.

As Scoob says however, I'm responsible for my worst buzzkills. My health isn't good, but it's not like I'm unaware of this. So long as I look after myself, some extra medication on board is all I need to get through a full day's skirmishing without anything worse than whinging about familiar pain. The problems occur when I do not take enough care to make sure I arrive on site well fed and rested, which often coincides, funnily enough, with times when my back is in no condition to be there at all and/or my major organs are not even managing their usual suboptimal functions. It's that enthusiasm thing again. I've decided I'm going to have a laugh and I'm too stubborn to sack it and stay at home jealous of those doing so... TBH the dick moves I make in the field sort of pale into insignificance next to the monumental dickheadery of failure to prepare.

Crap marshals, wasps, site regulars versus the noobs, wasps, gear breaking, wasps, poorly designed games/rules, wasps, d*ckhead airsofters, wasps.

I've been on both ends of the site regulars/new guys teams. They are rarely fun, for anyone - especially if it's the new guys' first ever game. Airsoft as a community will only survive as long as we can bring in new bloods, and this doesn't help us at all. And the new guys acting a cannon-fodder for the site regulars isn't going to be a fun experience.

Crap marshals - First & Only have probably spoilt me, as most of their Northern marshals are pretty amazing. Everywhere else... I've seen some shocking marshals, ranging from twats, to the severely brain-dead. "Hey guys, I'm going to stand in the middle of this room that both teams have to fight through. In the dark. Not wearing any hi-vis clothing. Then I'm going to cry like the over-developed manchild that I am, any time someone shoots me"

d*ckhead airsofters kind of relates to the site regulars/noobs point. I don't know why, but airsoft seems to attract an extraordinary number of utter dickheads. The guys who bend the rules, or have artistic interpretation of the game boundaries, or are overly aggressive (1 round kills someone, you don't need to unload an entire 500 round hicap), or play dead, or who outright cheat the FPS limits - by using heavier ammo or quick-change springs. Or do all of these things at the same time(I'm looking at you, squad of RAF Regiment gunners,I met at Cerberus) You know, people who despite being grown adults, still act like a fecking 4 year old.

Agree with Hubert, poorly thought out games *Cough* Wolf armouries *Cough* and also wasps.

My experience with Airsoft marshals so far has been good. The only bad marshaling experience I've had was went I went paint balling a long, long time ago. The marshals just sat together chatting and let everyone run around and of course, chaos soon followed!

• Supporters

I find Protestants no more nor less annoying than Catholics and it doesn't matter to me whether they're White Anglo-Saxon either. I think all xtians should wear a high vis cross on their loadouts, to make shooting them more than their team mates easier. Not because I am prejudiced against them or hate them either. It's because their terms & conditions tells them that they will be persecuted. It doesn't take any expense or much effort to persecute them in this instance, so I feel happy that I'd be able to help.

Nothing I hate more than unreliable gear. A classic issue I've had is worn out safety's jiggling from single shot to safe by simply running around. Nothing worse than pulling the trigger and having nothing happen!

Archived