Jump to content


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


DIY grip

Recommended Posts

Hi all

Wanted as stubby grip for my M4, but couldn't decide which one I'd like. So I thought make one of your own, so I had a spare standard grip I got from somewhere, so I took it apart had a look to see what was needed to do, I started by cutting down the centre which screws up and looks grip in place, first prob to much thread, so out came the Stanley knife and trimmed back the tread to about 2 threads, prob 2 was the ridge where rubber O ring sits that was removed, all parts cleaned up test fit and a fatter O ring put on job done. Half an hours work, wanted it to look a bit different so got out the soldering iron and dotted it all over grip area. Hope you like

Any of you made any DIY mods to attachments or weapons


DIY stubby grip next to standard grip




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

coming back to this, how did you find the soldering iron technique? Easy enough to pick up or was it a bit of a learning process?


I ask because I'm soon to come into possession of a rather sexy glock and I'd like to make it even sexier with a stippled grip.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes was easy enough, just used a pricking motion on plastic part basically moving hand up and down on part quickly and not too deep, doing a small area at a time and stopping to check for flat spots, I had ago ages ago on an old toner glock grip (see pic ) also did a M4 grip, if you have an old part just give a little practice on it before you set about your prized piece




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I made an attachment for my USP grip to make it fit my hand exactly -


wrapped the whole pistol grip in cling film, including inside the trigger guard,


warmed up a 56g block of black Fimo by kneading it between two hands,


pressed larger lumps than required onto grip where loosest in my hand,


squeezed and trimmed off excess,


added couple of extra bits and re-squeezed,


shaped edges neatly to work with a lanyard and smoothed surface,


decided ridges would work better if more pronounced and re-shaped,



at this stage I should have just cut the cling film to get the Fimo off the pistol, peeled it carefully, and baked.

What I actually did was decide to texture it so I used the tip of a posidrive screwdriver, thinking that the slightly funky squares it left behind would look nice and neat in rows all over it. I then got carried away and added a fartistic touch.


The truth is that the texture didn't work out even a quarter as well as I'd envisaged and trying to make it work ruined the look and didn't help the feel of the sculpted ridges I'd taken ages over getting just right. The fartsy touch was my stubbornness, unwilling to just start again, trying to polish a turd.


I supported the Fimo with a piece of stone on the baking tray, so that it balanced in a way which seemed unlikely to deform and baked it. Once cooled the finished result fits onto the pistol so well that it doesn't need to be glued to stay there. A couple of bits of the edge where the texture created too much surface area on thin pieces overcooked and crumbled off, but the overwhelming majority of it turned out excellently. Naturally it would not be skirmish-proof without glue however, so I had to make a decision. Thankfully this is where good sense finally reared its ugly head...





At this stage all I can say is that it looked a lot cooler when it was sleek with well defined ridges, but although this is too ugly to use, it does improve my grip a lot, making it almost impossible for me to hold the thing and not be looking straight down the sights as soon as my arm is extended, so I'm calling it proof of concept. I had a bit of Fimo left and I've recently bought two more blocks so I'll have enough to have a go at improving my SVD grip, which is appalling :'( and hopefully enough left to do this'n again.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites