Noob First Gun - Experience with ICS CXP 15?

Kermit
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm just getting into Airsoft, and (after browsing plenty of sites and reviews) I've settled on the ICS CXP 15. I'm going to be renting gear until I can get one, but before I do, does anyone have any experience with this gun? I'm looking at below £200 for my first gun (I say first, may end up lasting me a while) and this, for me, has the looks and reviews to match:

1) Are their any known issues (i.e. are their any parts that should be upgraded from the get-go) - I don't expect so, but as a noob, just want to be sure! Not looking to dive straight into upgrades unless needed.

2) Other than the battery location, is there any major difference in performance between the CXP 15 and the new CXP 16?

3) Action Hobbies have the plastic version for £155 (I'm sure it was £169 last week?!), but have found the metal bodied version for only £185 on Wolf Armouries ...I've read mixed feelings about both materials when compared; is it JUST weight that is different?

http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/ICS-CXP15-M4-ABS-Sportline-Black_A19GYG.aspx#.Ui21AsYqjVZ

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=ICS125

Any help would be much appreciated, as I'll be buying at some point in the future, and (as much as I trust the shop salesman) want to see if anyone here has actual experience with this rifle (or just knows anything worth noting!)

Thanks!

i have seen these guns and they go quite well nice and light and fairly accurate i believe the battery location is in a dummy peq box and i havent herd anything go wrong with them but for a starter gun you cant go wrong with G&G combat machines

Should be fine out of the box, but it might be worth asking for it to be chrono'd - some ICS guns come out a bit hot.

The CXP15 has quite a fat RIS on the front to house the battery, so no need for a PEQ box. You pop out a body pin and it slides off to attach the battery. It does mean that it's not as nice to hold as a gun with a slimmer handguard, but if you're using a vertical grip it probably won't make much difference. If you can get to a shop, have a hold of one just to make sure you're happy with how chunky it is :)

I'd go for the metal version at that price, it'll be heavier, but more robust.

Not seen a CXP16, but it looks like the same thing with a longer barrel and RIS and probably rear wired from the looks of the pictures.

• Supporters

The site I started at uses this CXP http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-cxp-concept-rifle-airsoft-gun-aeg as its rental, they seemed sturdy enough to receive a good bashing. Two issues they had was the stock causing the issues on the upper receiver. However these were rental guns that were abused big time but renters. And they weren't new in any way, I'd say a good couple of years use ever Saturday. Second was that it cant really take large batteries but if you start of with LiPo you should be ok. There are plenty of ways to get around the issue.

Plus the split gearbox will make moding the power easy, and working on ICS gearboxes without having to worry about spring tension making the whole lot fly apart when you open it is great. Simply buy another section with piston and spring etc and you can have a 350 bang on setup for outdoor and a second setup with a lower spring for indoor if you want to be nice to people.

Not sure about the CXP, but i'd vote G&G Combat Machine. Great price, great performance and no known problem's I know of. Plan to pick one up myself! :)

EDIT: Though I must say, the CXP looks lovely ;)

This is brilliant advice, really appreciate it :)

So, assuming its still there when I'm buying, i think I'll go for the metal one from Wolf, but now i know about the larger front end I'll probably see if i can find one in a shop to check I'm 100% with the feel of it! Plan on getting a vent grip, so that may aid any concerns i get :)

I was actually split between the CXP 15 and the G&G Raider, but I'm not sure i like the heavier crane stock on the G&G, which is what made me move towards the ICS model.

Ideally I'll find a shop with both and see how they feel ...let the force guide me.

• Supporters

This is brilliant advice, really appreciate it :)

So, assuming its still there when I'm buying, i think I'll go for the metal one from Wolf, but now i know about the larger front end I'll probably see if i can find one in a shop to check I'm 100% with the feel of it! Plan on getting a vent grip, so that may aid any concerns i get :)

I was actually split between the CXP 15 and the G&G Raider, but I'm not sure i like the heavier crane stock on the G&G, which is what made me move towards the ICS model.

Ideally I'll find a shop with both and see how they feel ...let the force guide me.

i have the G&G raider L, the crane stock helps balance the gun, and lightens the front end some :)

Archived