APS AK74U AEG

MealZ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Pros:
90% steel
Externals are okay for the price.But has a con..
Wood is good quality
Average performances.

Cons:
Externals can be assembled badly
Poor QC
Blowback system is unreliable
Gearbox is not very good,can be unreliable.

Shyte finish,feels like sandpaper

Hop up is not great

Charging handles had a habit of breaking easily,may be remedied now

Problem with triggers snapping in half(Similar to a problem some CYMAs had recently) Due to bad pot metal casting.

You can do better for the price but it's an okay gun.

• Supporters

This is the absolute dogs' bollocks. Get it at that price while you can, b/c Fire Support (ICS UK main distributor) have put the price up from £215 to £283...

They fire consistently at 318-20FPS. To make it great for woodland as well as CQB, swap the spring for an Element M105 and put in a TBB* - the hop unit, rubber & nozzle are good to go, as is the rest of the gearbox. Teflon grease FTW.

The trouble is that the stock spring is attached to the piston - personally I had a spare piston and piston head so it wasn't a problem, but I can't be sure that brute force and ignorance will get them apart without knackering something.

*Depending on how well the Systema 6.04mm barrel I've just bought for mine performs, it may be for sale, or the Guarder 6.02mm Chromed brass one that's in it right now.

One question though, can CYMA mags fit in the ICS, i would prefer them because they're cheaper and match the wood

• Supporters

One question though, can CYMA mags fit in the ICS, i would prefer them because they're cheaper and match the wood

Yes, I have 3 CYMA plastic AK74 midcaps and they are excellent.

Be advised however that AK47 mags are fractionally less wide, when looked at from the side of the gun. The difference is very little, but it's enough that they do not properly lock when inserted - they will work, so long as you keep them pressed in place, but they will also drop out of the gun at the slightest provocation, including being too rough when you try to reposition it after it has stopped feeding BB's due to slight slippage.

Also check out MAG AK midcaps,I hear they are really good and cheap. CYMA should be okay but I personally would avoid them due to not locking in properly.

If you haet moneh you can get LCT mags,they are usually tight and fuck in guns and require a good amount of breaking in.

• Supporters

I've found that a few makes of AK and G36 mag need a tiny bit filed/sanded off the underside of the tongue/mortice/lever/whajimmacallit, the bit which clicks past the sprung mag catch, to make it easier to lock.

Also a single drop of Abbey Silicone Oil into the BB feed hole of each mag makes all the difference in getting as many BB's in there as poss and, more importantly, having them feed out properly. Fill it with BB's to get the oil spread around inside - just release the sprung feed catch to let them all fly out into a plastic bag, then reload the same BB's and do it again a few times for each mag. Don't fire the oiled BB's or your hop rubber will not work properly until you've cleaned the oil off.

I know there's some kind of cheap mags out there that are called 'BattleAxe' or something, they fit in my brothers AK74M perfectly, i'm guessing it would be the same for the AKS

• Supporters

Battleaxe make extra hicap electric winding mags and hicap flash mags. I've heard that their electric mags are really good when working, but their quality control is sketchy so whether they are working when you buy is a bit hit'n'miss. However it's apparently a simple job to fix them. I've also heard that their AK flash mags are not as good as their M4/STANAG flash mags, but I don't know what the issue is or whether it can be dealt with by tinkering.

Archived