saw this on Reddit

SgtTalbert
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Generosity multiplier? What the hell is that? Do you put 1, 10, 100, -1500?

• Supporters

I've just put in the following,

Original price:- 330

Accessories:- 0

Upgrades:- 0

Usage:- 0

Generosity:- 0

Suggested price: 230 ?!?!?

Hmm its a nice idea but I'm not sure it can properly compete with someones frank appraisal or people making offers for what they feel its worth.

• Supporters

That seems the way to go.

It came out giving me just shy of £600 for my M4, it's a fair price for what is in it, but not what I'd sell it at. If I were to sell today I'd ask £500ish

Why only heavy usage? I know loads of people who don't do 'heavy usage' of their rifles. heavy usage to me means treating it like a tool, not an expensive toy.

Let's see how much my current VSR is...

Original price is around 350 quid,AirsoftEire was not around at the time and I'm assuming the previous owner imported it.

40 euro for my scope..

Around 110 in internal upgrades,including about 5 euro per DIY mod.

Right then,the gun is about six years old....

So that's 72 months of usage by the previous owner. I got it in April but only used it actively for 3 or so months. So 75 months

And I'll discount it lightly because externally it's scratched and dented to hell

-45€...

Now,onto my pistol... which I beat the shit out of for the past two years.

-37€.. :|

Guess I won't be selling any of my guns anytime soon.

• Supporters

It doesn't even slightly work...

My L85 was £320 new 2 years ago.

Externals have cost me something in the region of £500-700 + about £350 on mags and batteries/charger. So I've put £850

I've spent £250ish on the internals

I've factored in 5 months of heavy usage, since I've owned the gun for just under 2 years now, but have never treated it with what I would call "heavy usage"
Generosity factor I've left blank because I don't know what the shit it even means or what values it operates by.

So that's a gun that's cost me £1500ish and apparently it's worth £922.

If I put 22 months in the heavy usage section then it gives me a total sale value of £837, so 17 months added heavy use only accounts for a price drop of about £85?! Who wrote the maths coding behind this thing?!

I think I'd be lucky to get £600 for it. I'd probably put it up for sale at around £500. Internal mods rarely count for anything in a second hand sale, people would rather have the stock parts because then they can vouch for the parts not being badly chosen "upgrades" that are worse than the stock parts, the accessories lose a massive amount of their value, in fact I'd go as far to say that the value decreases exponentially the more accessories there are, so all my mags, batteries and external parts would probably only give me about £200 at the upper limit on top of the original price of the gun, which would drop to at least £250, and that drop is only as generous as it is because of all the parts it comes with.

No way is anyone going to buy a gun for £922 when they can get a brand new, stock one for under £300.

• Supporters

I always price high to make room for negotiation, but as a rule, I expect to sell items for two thirds their original retail value, plus or minus about 10-20% based on condition.

Seems to work pretty well but negotiation is king when it comes to shifting stuff.

• Supporters

It depends mostly on rarity, I reckon. Something which can be bought or ordered that day, posted from inside the UK, with a warranty and tech support, new, is worth 1/2 price 2nd hand, and as Ed says, upgrades and accessories don't count for much - certainly not 1/2 their original price. The bottom line is that it will be a pain in the arse for the seller to to get rid of and split the upgrades & accessories into separate sales: the buyer has the upper hand.

The rarer it is, the more power the seller has, up to RRP and beyond. That said, it also depends on the relative financial comfort of seller and potential buyer. If i've only got £90 then it doesn't matter what an item is, if a seller wants money now then what they are selling is worth £90.

Archived