Google Glass use in Airsoft

Jolley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

By now i believe we have all herd of this rather controversial gadget but i was thinking would it be good for airsoft when released as it has clearly descended for some kind of military gear. I imagine it will be costly but could be awesome for comms in game and just general filming in game. so do you think it will be used in the future of airsoft or not.

hahaha that will scramble there comms

naked picture of david hasslehof will come up and they will end up shooting them selves

• Supporters

If they make them in ballistic lenses and the camera quality is good enough to justify whatever their cost may be, then if they're around or under the £300 mark then I might look into picking a set up.

Especially if they have that track IR eye movement thing, so the camera moves with your eyes. Could be very good for getting sniper scope cam videos.

I would risk these on the field if I had a pair. I mean I wear full eye seal protection so the actual glass would be covered. What I would try to do is set it up so I could connect a contour camera on my rifle barrel to the google glass so when my gun is pointing at something in my field of view a target pointer will be appearing where the gun is pointing. So kind of a HUD. Of course there needs to be the software to do it and of course its expensive.

• Supporters

When I first discovered William Gibson's books I imagined that I might live to see a useful HUD become part of everyday life - adding customisable multi-layered info to everything we could see in real time so that we could, for eg, look at a shop and query its stock bot as to whether they had some item and then be led directly to it by coloured arrows overlaid on our point of view.

In airsoft I'd want some indication of where my own team were in relation to me and their fields of fire. Enemy that I'd spotted kept track of and a threat level from each. Obviously a targeting reticle and zoom vision function, but also the ability to share any of that info between team members as clips pulled from constant live recording, but also the ability to replay just info layers so you could have a vector line that would highlight incoming fire and be able to check where it originated after you'd dived out of the way (like that bit in Predator ;) )

...and yeah, it would make skirmishing much easier, but easier for everyone so the competition wouldn't be skewed, it would just become more exciting as it became as much of a mental workout as physical.

What I fear however is that the nightmare scenario which Lawrence Lessig drew attention to in The Future Of Ideas, that the internet would lose its p2p structure, where the intelligence within the system is at the periphery and the infrastructure does nothing but transmit data as fast as possible no matter where it originated or what its content, to something which would be basically nothing more than a very complex broadcasting network, where the intelligence is hoarded with the service providers who would also gain substantial financial interest in the production of content and a vested interest in slowing certain data while speeding up their own, is becoming more of a reality.

And what about devices? Google tablets, google glasses, android phones, windows 8, windows phones, mac os iWTF... have you noticed that the newer the device, what you can actually do with it is more predetermined by the manufacturer's choices of software linked to the operating system... How is it that Moore's Law predicted that every 18 months computers would get double the number of transistor operations in a given chip size and for half the price and this has roughly held true, and yet I can't do anything on my electronic devices that i couldn't do 10 years ago?

I'll grant you that whatever i choose to do can involve vastly more bytes of data, but the actual activity is nothing radically new and since we're now more and more dealing with 'ware which is inextricably linked to an OS, we'd have to be 'kin computer genii just to do something simple like delete stuff which uses processor cycles whether we want it to or not for no purpose that improves our productivity. Even if we could do that without having recourse to custom ROM's developed by fcuk knows whom and thus with the potential to be not only unsecure, but actively malware, wtf would we do with the cycles freed up, because if we did want to do something which the manufacturers had not thought worthy of development, or had never even considered, we'd pretty much have to rewrite the OS to to get some creative commons app to work!

This, my friends, is despite the existence of and enhancements to Creative Commons Licencing, which is literally all that preserves user led product development in the information technology sector. It's almost as if the largest manufacturers had ignored CCL thinking it was a flash in the pan, until it suddenly became obvious, about 10 years ago, that actually even though CCL was only being used to anything like full potential by a relatively few people, what mattered was whom those people were and what they were giving each other for free whilst still maintaining the right to prevent commercial exploitation of their additions without being paid royalties, so the big boys, who could no longer rely on the standard business practice of buying your competition out and either bringing a version of the new idea which doesn't compete with their existing product to market or burying the innovation, since the data was out there and owned not by one or two people who could be tempted/cajoled/threatened/swindled but by loads of people in various countries all over the globe, yes, it really is as if those thwarted big boys just moved the goalposts - essentially saying "you can develop whatever you like with your goddamn monopoly-preventing, small business promoting, fast paced market creation, change, and replacement, paradigm shift from a monetary to a gift information economy, and the way you uber nerds run rings around our tame staff nerds because we will just prevent you from making it run on our devices easily enough for the average consumer to want..."

Of course, it only seems as if that is what happened, because it couldn't have. That would have been a conspiracy and we all know that conspiracy theorists are nutters. It would also have been highly illegal and it isn't that the companies involved literally control the infrastructure that the world's most powerful governments require to exercise their ability to govern that would sway any judiciary from prosecuting those who would have literally suborned the entire system of market capitalism and got away with it scot free, because that would be beyond ludicrous. The only people who can do such things are Bond Villains. Far from any white cats, these people hang out in comfy clothes at work and call their places of business 'campuses'. In fact, considering that the vast majority of the people involved are so nerdy that they are by definition liberal, it's a bit of a leap to imagine that they could have done anything so inherently authoritarian, eh?

There is surely no threat that anyone could make against such people for whom the concept of 'rules' exists only as it applies to those whom, unlike themselves, have insufficient intelligence to make enforcing them impossible and/or render the need for them moot, that would make them think "I'm rich beyond the dreams of avarice, how about I just go with the flow".

So what on this good green earth has any of this got to do with airsoft and HUD's on google glasses? Simply this, who imagines that airsoft apps will be a priority development direction for google? Who imagines that the usefulness of any such HUD would be allowed to work on a device which a consumer could readily tweak and thus maximise the computing power for useful tasks, when that would put the potential to outwit even the most elite law enforcement within the hands of joe public?

I think they're gonna be more around the 1000 mark...or at least that's what I thought I heard.

If they had ballistic lenses, which I highly doubt, despite the high price tag, then maybe. Either way I wouldn't really like to risk wearing a pair in a skirmish though - as awesome as it would be.

Archived