Can any old shop sell 'Airsoft' guns?

viowithcrailtap
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I walked past a shop today (that sells quirky things like bubble machines and led gum shields) and they now sell BB guns.

The boxes say Airsoft guns and if I'm honest they look cheap and are two colours (orange and black). But I was wondering can any place sell airsoft guns/ BB guns or do they need to be licensed in some way?

I know to buy an IF you need to be 18 but shops like this sell little Bangers and Stink bombs so BB guns branded as Airsoft just made me worry some kid is going to have a little armoury and be wreaking havoc round town as some shops don't stick to the rules.

I'm pretty sure the retailer only needs to be reg'd with UKARA if they sell RiF's.

A similar shop near me started doing the same thing a while ago. I don't know if it was illegal, or if they had complaints, but I saw the police talking to them and making the shop owner take the IF's into the back and away from the window.

Unsure whether it was illegal and they were told they can't sell them, or if the owner just decided they were more hassle than they were worth.

Any airsoft shop I've been into have the guns in another room or behind a screen. I believe that there may be a law from having IF's/RIF's from showing in windows etc.

I don't think you need a licence to sell IF's, but I think you need to be UKARA registered to sell RIF's

Any airsoft shop I've been into have the guns in another room or behind a screen. I believe that there may be a law from having IF's/RIF's from showing in windows etc.

I don't think you need a licence to sell IF's, but I think you need to be UKARA registered to sell RIF's

I'm pretty sure the retailer only needs to be reg'd with UKARA if they sell RiF's.

No, Not true at all. Plenty of places sell RIFS without being a UKARA retailer. Weve heard it a million times, Its not a legal requirement.

No, Not true at all. Plenty of places sell RIFS without being a UKARA retailer. Weve heard it a million times, Its not a legal requirement.

Ok thanks for clarification.

I was just wondering. It just seemed a bit odd that they'd got Guns in and they have airsoft written on them and I'd only seen Airsoft guns at either a site or a hobby shop.

It's a bit ridiculous comparing airsoft guns to nerf or water pistols, there's no danger with nerf or water pistols but BB guns is different and to be honest I've been in town and spotted kids throwing bangers at people to scare them and I wouldn't put it past them to do something stupid with a BB gun.

I know it's the responsibility of the shop to vet out who buys them. The hobby shop near me has them in the back out of view but this shop had a sign outside advertising the fact they had guns and they're in a glass cabinet in the middle of the shop which I spotted easily.

It was just the way Guns were advertised that made think about where can sell them and if there were rules/ regs about selling them.

• Supporters

The rules and regs for sale of RIFs are outlined in the VCRA.

Short version though; only sell to people with a valid defence.

As an aside, kids have been doing stupid stuff with BB guns for years, I remember once ambushing a friend at a train station! 3 of us with sprinters shooting the shit out of him from a other platform. No one died, no one got in trouble. Though, it's a different world we live in now :-(

The rules and regs for sale of RIFs are outlined in the VCRA.

Short version though; only sell to people with a valid defence.

As an aside, kids have been doing stupid stuff with BB guns for years, I remember once ambushing a friend at a train station! 3 of us with sprinters shooting the shit out of him from a other platform. No one died, no one got in trouble. Though, it's a different world we live in now :-(

I did something like that on the way home from school. A kid was always shooting at people out his window so i took my TM G17 springer to school (i know!!) and shot the little shit in the forehead on the way home! amazing, and VERY lucky, shot but he didnt do it again!

• Supporters

I did something like that on the way home from school. A kid was always shooting at people out his window so i took my TM G17 springer to school (i know!!) and shot the little shit in the forehead on the way home! amazing, and VERY lucky, shot but he didnt do it again!

live by the sword, die by the sword!

• Root Admin

I did something like that on the way home from school. A kid was always shooting at people out his window so i took my TM G17 springer to school (i know!!) and shot the little sh*t in the forehead on the way home! amazing, and VERY lucky, shot but he didnt do it again!

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum to date.

So instead of perhaps knocking on his door you decide it's a good idea to take a gun to school and then shoot this guy right in the face when he's not wearing protection? This could have ended a lot, lot worse; in more ways than one.

Archived