call your hits?

armysurplusandtoys
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

While playing at the asylum with first and only had a small problem though i was over it but keeps coming back to my mind.

A little help was i in the right?

we were moving past the the two lower buildings in the bottom right (if you look out the main building doors where you book in) and in the open was a player milling around. I think providing a covering position at the rear door facing the wood. As i moved forward keeping one eye on the player and my other eye for any other opposition i got into cover behind a tree (he had not seen me by this point) changing the rifle to auto and placing rounds around the player (must admit was surprised that no hit was called!). He then in the open proceeded to return fire, At this point the rest of my team was moving in along the side of the building and several in the trees. He then called a marshal over and was obviously saying i was not taking my hits. Now admittedly i had felt none hit me but in real life the rounds would have decimated the tree and also me. In the end the other team members moved in and made the confirmed kill!

At the time i was a little mad but did not go over, I did have a belt kit on and if he had hit anything it could of been that but i felt no hit so i did not call it.

Was i in the right to hold position or should i have taken a hit?

Its not real life and the quirks of Airsoft are different to real bullets.

Simply, if you didnt feel a hit, then you did the right thing.

If you did feel one or two but chose to ignore, you are very naughty - lol

I would like to use semi automatic and fire single shots, conserving ammo, as in real life.

However, I find that many players don't register a long range single hit and they need a burst of BBs to persuade them that they cant deny it any longer.

It happens all the time. Players fire and think that they are hitting, when they are not. If the Marshall was concerned then he would have walked over to you and let the fire fight continue to see where the rounds were landing. Quite often rounds are landing short, but look like they are getting there.

If you did not feel or hear a hit, then you probably were not hit. Normally you can hear it when it hits you as it makes a certain sound. If you are a newer player then it can take time to work out what it sounds like when it hits you.

• Supporters

It can be sort of difficult to tell when you're behind foliage because usually ricochets don't count, only shots which go straight from the gun muzzle to you. But how can you tell what is a ricochet and what isn't from a full auto burst when leaves and twigs are rattling about?

In that situation I'd call it if my position was getting rinsed on the grounds that I might be getting hit. However, if I could see the BB's landing short or hitting cover for definite, like the tree you mentioned, then bollocks would I, no matter how much whinging I was faced with.

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean about your shots at him. Did you hit him and he ignored it to fire at you, or did you miss and he returned fire?

well if i were you and i was sure i had hit him then thats were overkill comes into play. lol unless your sure your hit then dont call it. i had a marshal stood above me once and some guy was screaming that i was cheating and not taking my hit. i was like WTF i havent felt a thing. the marshal was like mate are you hit? i hadnt felt a thing but apparently i had part of my kit sticking round a corner and he was shooting it. in the end i was like well he seems pretty upset about it all so hes prob right.

From experience there are many people who have no honour in our sport, sad people they are indeed and need to go and play paintball

Shots through light foliage, ferns etc always count and are not ricochets, a tree/wall etc is always gonna be a ricochet and its down to you if you take it

I too am a little unsure about what the op is saying about his fire onto the other player, maybe make this a little clearer for us, did you actually see the rounds hitting? What sort of range etc

I always go with the simple fact of that I I'm not sure if I've been hit then just take one an walk away, if you've stuck a couple of well placed shots onto someone and they look around, and then continue they then tend to get some 'loud' fire, if this still fails then headshots are the only answer

• Supporters

I don't think the OP is suggesting the other player was cheating, more that he's seeking clarification that he was in the right.

My 2p on this is that if you don't feel, hear or see a hit then don't take it. Yes the game runs on honesty but there's a line to be drawn, I so often see people on forums saying stuff like "I had a heavy raindrop hit me and I thought better safe than sorry so I called myself out", what the actual f*ck, what's next? The guy next to me was hit with full auto so IRL it would probably have got me too, I'll call hit?

There's being honest (which I am all about, if I am hit, I call it) but then there's being a mug.

Back to the OP; you were right, if the marshal had any real concerns he should have brought it up with you or watched you for a while.

Yer i play alot in woodland so running and diving about i get unsure if im hit or i just hit a branch or things like that. I guess like people say its a judgement call. If BBs are flying all around you and you feel something but your unsure then its a safe bet that your hit.

• Supporters

Yer i play alot in woodland so running and diving about i get unsure if im hit or i just hit a branch or things like that. I guess like people say its a judgement call. If BBs are flying all around you and you feel something but your unsure then its a safe bet that your hit.

oh yeah, definitely, if you actually feel something which could be (and probably is) a hit, then call it, i just don't get some people's 'more honest than you' hit calling when it's very clear that they were hit by a rain drop or stood on a twig.

at a CQB site I once saw a guy call himself from one of HIS OWN RICOCHETS, WTF?!

I don't think the OP is suggesting the other player was cheating, more that he's seeking clarification that he was in the right. My 2p on this is that if you don't feel, hear or see a hit then don't take it. Yes the game runs on honesty but there's a line to be drawn, I so often see people on forums saying stuff like "I had a heavy raindrop hit me and I thought better safe than sorry so I called myself out", what the actual f*ck, what's next? The guy next to me was hit with full auto so IRL it would probably have got me too, I'll call hit? There's being honest (which I am all about, if I am hit, I call it) but then there's being a mug. Back to the OP; you were right, if the marshal had any real concerns he should have brought it up with you or watched you for a while.

A squirrel once dropped an acorn on my head, I actually stopped and wondered if it was a hit then I noticed the bugger scurry away!

cheers for the advice.

My rounds were sent first but not sure if they reached was prob in the region of 40 yards. the round the i took incoming we defo hitting the tree but nothing hit me that i know. The marshall that was next to him did not say anything to me or even look like he thought it. So going with that would have enough. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought?

I was behind cover and in an elevated position so tactically i had the advantage also the element of surprise.

thank you all for the advice.

if im not sure i just call it stand up and say good shot mate, but there are times when im running your really not sure, maybe few times i been hit didnt no it but most time the rule i use is if i think im hit i just call it because i prob was. I like CQB places coz you no your bloody hit, normally walking around going , AArrhhh my arm ect lol

I take hits when i feel em...thats the way airsoft works! My reply to ' take your feckin hits' is usally ' when you hit me - i will' followed by a full retard burst back in there direction! :-P

Archived