Noobie. Where to start?

Steve8182
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi every1. I'm new to airsofting and don't know where to start. I live in worksop near Sheffield, and was wanting to try the stan but its closed at the minute so ideas wondering if any1 could recommend somewhere. I've looked at skirmish near me but it seems to be aimed at groups rather than 1 person wanting to go and have a try so I don't know what's the best options for me. Any help would be great. I hate trying things on my own but I can't get any1 interested in trying it with me

Welcome.

Why do you think Skirmish in Sheffield is aimed at groups ?

You can rent all your equipment and just book yourself in.

I started on my own and I'm sure many others on here did too.

If you go a few times and talk to people, you will soon just be one of the crowd.

I thought it was aimed at groups primarily because on the site when I did a test booking there was a section about how many in your group and what discounts for certain numbers etc. it was the skirmish near clumber park I looked at. What's the Sheffield one like Baz JJ?

• Supporters

Skirmish is my regular site, they ask how many you're booking in because they need to have a certain number of staff on site to cope with the number of players, it's just to give them an idea of what the turnout is going to be before the day so they can properly staff it, it's not geared towards groups at all, they just won't have thought about the presentation of the site that much when they were wording the booking form. It's nothing to get wrapped up in.

Their website can be confusing and leads a lot of people to think there are a lot of Skirmish Airsoft sites around the Sheffield to Nottingham area, really there's only 1, and the best way to describe where it is would be to say it's between Worksop and Mansfield, get yourself booked in and head down there for a day, the staff are excellent guys + Paige behind the counter ;)

They hire kit out to those who need it, they have an on site shop, the whole site's a blast and the banter with the rest of the guys is as much a part of the day as the shooting is. It's the first site I ever played at and I've kept it as my regular since then, it's just that good.

Not to turn this into a shameless plug, but if you check out the Skirmish Airsoft playlist on my YouTube channel then you'll get a good idea of what the game areas are like, plus if you have no one else to go down there with, then you can always get to know us on the forums who go there. Me, Ian_Gere, Kaza66, Gecko, BottledTorment, Chippins and a few others are occasionally down there.

Going alone really isn't an issue though. You'll make friends out of someone there on the first day, guaranteed. Probably one of the marshals at least!

• Supporters

+1

First site I went to also and I went on my own. I still do because nobody I know in the rest of my life is even vaguely interested, except for what passes for humorous comment on photos i occasionally force people to look at. Fcuk 'em.

I've been to a few other sites and I've yet to find a better run one than Skirmish. It's closest to Budby btw. There's a bus which goes right past the site entrance from Worksop to Nottingham and back - the Sherwood Arrow.

Come see us. We'll shoot the sh!t out of you!

We can arrange to be on the same team.

Oh yeah, read this.

That sounds good guys, and yeah it's the one between worksop and Mansfield, just down the road from thoresby market. So it is a full day event? I take it it's like paintball then with the different stages, but obviously a lot better lol. I got myself gbb pistol which I stumble across on skeggy market and I've been itching to go shooting since. I keep seeing all the M4 etc for sale too and have to keep forcing myself not to buy till I've had a few trips first.

Is there anything that I should take on my first trip that would be worth me taking

Most are 1000-1630 or thereabouts.

Are you still under 18, Steve ?

In addition to the rental kit they will give you, I would take hat, gloves, decent boots with ankle support and something to keep you hydrated as you will no doubt get very hot, even as Autumn approaches.

I'm 31 Baz. Do they give you boiler suits like paintballing?

Ill have to invest in some new boots, the ones I've got weigh a ton from when I used to cast aluminium. I've got a British army camel back which I acquired from r young 'un' when he used to be in the forces so I'm good for that.

And do you respawn after being shot or are you out once you've been shot?

Sorry for all the questions lol

• Supporters

It's usually 10:00 til 16:00-ish @Skirmish, but it can go on longer sometimes.

You do get a camo jumpsuit.

For most games you will respawn, but we call it regen. Some games are a bit different, but the briefing will make everything clear.

You really could do with boots which are comfortable enough to run in for the whole day, support your ankles, and have soles which twigs etc will not pierce.

Ideally you could also do with some eye protection which will not fog up, because the mask you get with a rental package will. But it's money wasted if you decide that you don't like it. I reckon mesh eyepro is best, but some people prefer polycarbonate lenses. Lenses with anti-fog coatings cost a fair bit and are not 100% effective, but mesh has drawbacks. Don't be overly concerned about safety, they are safe I promise, but there are other issues to do with vision which are different for different types of mesh.

You should also read the section of this forum on UK Law before you think about buying any more guns.

Ill have a go with the rental kit first then take it from there then Ian. I'm gonna have one last attempt at convincing a mate to come down with me as it'll be more comfortable knowing that I have someone to chat to inbetween games. I'm not the best at sparking up a conversation with people I don't know.

I can't wait to give it a go. I might even buy mesh protection once there if they sell it, I hate it when glasses fog up when working so could be worth it

• Supporters

Definitely the best way, get in, rent a gun and have a go. Some people just don't like it as much as they thought they would, others get completely hooked.. either way there's no point spending more than the cost of a good pair of boots up front.

Your right, I can personally vouch for both desert and black lowas and I skirmish in my desert pair. They are lighter and breath better than black ones and have a rubber bit over the toe so they last longer. Mendhl desert foxs I've worn for a good 8 months in total and they still in good shape

• Supporters

Yeah, but let's have it right, Lowas and Mendhls are far from cheap. If you're an ebay ninja you might get a pair at a price which you will not feel was a kick in the bollocks if you later decide you don't like airsoft. You can also get deals like that f2f in surplus shops, especially if you go in there with the attitude that the marked price is there just to let you know what the owner's accountant would prefer the stuff to sell for, but the actual price is determined by how much they need, right then and there, whatever you are prepared to pay, even if that is less than they paid for the item...

If you are used to heavy duty work boots, your feet should be ok with hardcore military boots: German Para Boots £40 / British Assault Boots (only for the brave) £30 / Austrian Jungle Boots (not yet tried but look Vgood 2me) £35

Welcome to the bank account draining hobby that is airsoft!

I started by my self and played that way for about 6 months! Now i have loads of mates ( i even put kisses on my texts to M_P) and now run airsoft days!!

Boots wise, if on a budget, get some issue boots (new if you can) or super grade. If you have a decent budget then i'd go for Lowa Boots but these are around £130. The desert ones are by far the most comfortable boots i have ever owned,

Go to a few days to make sure you like it and if you have questions then just ask people. One thing i have learnt is that airsofters on the whole are very helpful and will give honest advise.

Just be ready to have NO spare cash ever again!

I'm used to wearing safety trainers lol. So something kinder to the feet would be better I think. I've been looking at the tactical boots today, part leather and part cordoroy or nylon or what ever it is they use which look pretty comfortable. I'm gonna try and find some where I can actually try them on though, I think there's an army surplus store in Sheffield which I'm gonna try. Are you local Ian_Gere? I'm from worksop. Just wondered if you knew of any shops that stock and sell

Spare cash? I have two kids lol. They might have a quite Xmas this year :-)

I quite fancied the magnum tactical boots. But I can't find any where local that sells. I've been in the garage tonight shooting targets with my gbb pistol, I could hear the neighbours say "I'm sure hes shooting a gun" haha

Spare cash? I have two kids lol. They might have a quite Xmas this year :-)

I quite fancied the magnum tactical boots. But I can't find any where local that sells. I've been in the garage tonight shooting targets with my gbb pistol, I could hear the neighbours say "I'm sure hes shooting a gun" haha

Ha i had a PCSO living next door to me not so long ago. My first test in my garden with my glock running on propane was amasing........WHAT TH F**K WAS THATR, think he has a gun! came from over the fence. she moved!

• Supporters

I test my guns out of my back window over the rooftops of neighbours houses lower down the hill :lol:

I do the old sniper trick of standing well back inside the room though, so nobody ever sees me do it :P

I live in the centre of Nottingham, Steve, but I don't drive. If you read my guide to noobism on a budget i put a link in there to Magnum Panther 8's going cheap-ish - i forget where now. You could try them on at Millets I expect - tbh it'd be worth keeping an eye on their price online too b/c they have regular sales.

Ed's your man for what a gwaan in Sheffield.

I have to say I agree that Skirmish is an amazing site.

I went on my first time (renting) and found that everyone there was not stuck up about you being a rental -if you took advice and didn't be a 'tard and play COD style.

Everyone was happy to help with questions and let me look at their kit

I test my guns out of my back window over the rooftops of neighbours houses lower down the hill :lol:

I do the old sniper trick of standing well back inside the room though, so nobody ever sees me do it :P

I live in the centre of Nottingham, Steve, but I don't drive. If you read my guide to noobism on a budget i put a link in there to Magnum Panther 8's going cheap-ish - i forget where now. You could try them on at Millets I expect - tbh it'd be worth keeping an eye on their price online too b/c they have regular sales.

Ed's your man for what a gwaan in Sheffield.

I've just checked millets and they do sell them. Ill ring tomorrow to see if they have them unstick. Thanks pal. All being well ill have a blast at skirmish this weekend :-) woohoo

• Supporters

There is a surplus shop in Sheffield, it's not bad for picking up a cheap set of camo and the odd bit of Viper tactical gear, but boots are fairly limited.

If you fancy checking it out then it's on London Road though, ought to easy enough to find on Google, the shop actually has a website but it's for listings only, you can't order through it or anything.

It's called Jay Jays.

I got my Elite Desert Lowas for a rather cheeky £8.97 on E(xcellent)bay though. Granted they're grade 2 surplus because they've been to Afghan, but for the price you really can't complain and I've had them for 6 months, the stitching's a bit loose on one of them, and they look a bit worse for wear, but that just helps me look more boss :P

There is a surplus shop in Sheffield, it's not bad for picking up a cheap set of camo and the odd bit of Viper tactical gear, but boots are fairly limited.

If you fancy checking it out then it's on London Road though, ought to easy enough to find on Google, the shop actually has a website but it's for listings only, you can't order through it or anything.

It's called Jay Jays.

I got my Elite Desert Lowas for a rather cheeky £8.97 on E(xcellent)bay though. Granted they're grade 2 surplus because they've been to Afghan, but for the price you really can't complain and I've had them for 6 months, the stitching's a bit loose on one of them, and they look a bit worse for wear, but that just helps me look more boss :P

Can I park outside jays jays Ed? I'm in sheff tomorrow so I might nip in for a nosey

Bargains can always be found. I am the king of "cheap" deals.

I got my lowas for £15 and they were issued but unworn!

Archived