airsoft sites with vehicles and other unusual things

chris555
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

The guys on the sandpit vids are wearing floatation aids ;) least in the ones I've seen

I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from ucap/Stirling

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look carefully, you can see that they are wearing olive green floatation devices over their shoulders which is enough. They aren't the bright orange ones that go round your whole chest.

• Supporters

HAHA stupid computer playing low quality and my poor memory, there are PFD's on those players in the rib. My bad! Knowing how UCAP work and Stirling there is no way they would not have them should have double checked before posting.

Still having stood on the edge of the pit looking in on stupidly hot days in the summer their hardline stance about no entering the water is hard to take, especially when it looks so refreshing.

• Supporters

Ah Ian, you know your gagging for a helicopter insertion now though!! :lol:

I'm not entirely sure i'd be up for it myself what with me being a bit of a tight wad, oh, and scared of heights!!! :o

Oh yeah that's what I meant, in a heartbeat!

I abseiled out of a Sea King head first once when I was a teen in the ATC. I'd abseiled before and I knew I'd never get another chance in the foreseeable future, so I used an extra carabiner on my figure of 8 and went for it! To the surprise and consternation of the RAF instructors mind :lol:

Not so much these days mind, or fast rope either, but I'd abseil backwards no probs. Still, you would have numpties whinging on about H&S because yeah, in a world where we must guard against the possibility that if there's no warning on a hammer, some penis will sue when they hit their thumb with it, somebody would make it their business to imagine the preposterous series of events that could result in a helicopter being shot down by a BB and make a song and dance about insurance.

Can't say I've ever fancied a beach assault, mind. It's the whole water in the boots scenario. I'll man the support weapon on the boat and ye all do the splashing around!

I hear that fast roping had been replaced by rapid descenders in some circles.

iirc two US servicemen were killed during a ship boarding from helos.

I was talking to somebody recently in one of the forces that routinely do this and they were saying H+S is entering this area as well.

• Supporters

TBF, fast roping is fcuking dangerous. If there's a way to do it that doesn't take any more time to get the soldier away on the ground and is safer, then fair dos.

• Supporters

I hear that fast roping had been replaced by rapid descenders in some circles.

iirc two US servicemen were killed during a ship boarding from helos.

I was talking to somebody recently in one of the forces that routinely do this and they were saying H+S is entering this area as well.

Not happening in the RN/RM anytime soon, fastroping for opposed boarding of ships is here to stay. Rapid descenders add a couple of seconds at the bottom of the rope which is more of a risk than the fastroping itself.

"Tan players are the targets, those casually walking around are referees/civis.
All players were forbidden to aim anything at the two helicopters present, for obvious reasons.
Game Organizers Hired/Rented the pilots & helicopters to add a new mechanic to the game.
Next year they will have Anti-Air."

No, highly doubt they did. You may have just seen the BB's coming out of the gun but being thrown off course a bit by the heli blades

Sounds maybe over the top but what do you guys think of this idea? So say each team has a couple of vehicles, lets use trucks for this example. and each team has two guys with a "launcher", this launcher, when fired, shoots out an IR beam, like a laser tag gun at various receptors on the trucks, and when triggered, the receptor could you an electric charge to detonate a pyro, or, just set of an alarm to say this vehicle is deactivated? It could be interesting. One of the things I came up with in another boring day at school :lol:

• Supporters

In the world of real events, where the probable happens pretty much every time, where the highly improbable event which could cause horrendous consequences is always spotted and dealt with in time by one or more quick thinking, decisive individuals...

...who btw is/are not the sort of person/s who listen/s to H&S briefings and think/s "yeah, if something goes wrong it's somebody else's responsibility and I can just let the emergency services deal with it", rather t/s/he/y think/s, "well yeah, if something gets right out of hand, these procedures need to be followed, but if I just deal with it right at the start, it won't get out of hand"...

...there's no reason why we couldn't shoot firework stylee rockets carrying a MK V size bang as a payload at each other and vehicles, out of whatever tubes we could disguise as RS weapons...

...but bollocks to trying to get it past an insurer!

• Supporters

also reference firing BBs at a helicopter in flight... good luck with that! none of your shots would get anywhere near it unless you were directly underneath and shooting at the underside.

Still, DON'T do this, pilots get understandably snarky about that sort of thing as autorotating a helicopter after an engine failure is f*cking terrifying.

• Supporters

Sounds maybe over the top but what do you guys think of this idea? So say each team has a couple of vehicles, lets use trucks for this example. and each team has two guys with a "launcher", this launcher, when fired, shoots out an IR beam, like a laser tag gun at various receptors on the trucks, and when triggered, the receptor could you an electric charge to detonate a pyro, or, just set of an alarm to say this vehicle is deactivated? It could be interesting. One of the things I came up with in another boring day at school :lol:

that would work pretty well, you could use a modified laser tag system really easily and just put a rack of pyro on the roof and a big red light on the dashboard so the driver knows when to stop.

I think this is pretty much how things work at the Berget events- there's probably videos on youtube with them in use.

• Supporters

Depends on the pilot, I'd say. An ex-military pilot, somebody used to medivacs under small arms fire say, might well enjoy a bit of excitement :lol:

But anyway, in what world do we imagine a BB or 20 could bring down a helicopter? Do we not imagine that the designers of helicopters realise that the down draught will blow debris all over the place and that the helicopter, or another one, may get bits of whatever crap is flying about in the air intake of the engine? Obviously there is a system which prevents this from becoming a problem and at least one level of redundancy...

I think this is pretty much how things work at the Berget events- there's probably videos on youtube with them in use.

Lol, fair enough then, I will check it out, never seen berget gameplay before so i guess it is about time now :P

. That co

You can get m203's that fire a foam ball at the enemy. When fired at the windscreen, the driver could stop the vehicle. But pyro sounds a-helluva lot cooler :D

There are lots of things that can be done. Its only limited by imagination, safety and money.

Ive often thought of rigging remote control pyros and tripwire mines at the local site to make a more realistic and interesting game.

The problem is largely that the sites are not that interested. It exposes them in terms of risk and they are already getting very good attendance numbers.

I used to organise challenges for groups of children involving map reading, GPS coordinates, strategically placed boxes with clues and opposing forces that they had to stay hidden from. No weapons were involved and it was played to a backdrop of Thetford Forest which is huge, with parents cars doing the infil and exfil. Those kids are now young adults and still talk about what fun it was.

Ive done similar with canoes on the river.

It comes down to imagination and planning.

If you add Airsoft weapons and pyro, it adds yet another dimension.

Its very easy to be lured into big boys toys like helicopters, but its not really necessary.

When I attend Airsoft games, I am often forced into unrealistic situations where in reality I wouldn't engage unless I had a very good chance of winning. There is less opportunity to use stealth, surprise and concealment. Perhaps I am really hankering towards milsim rather than Airsoft skirmishes ?

• Supporters

Perhaps I am really hankering towards milsim rather than Airsoft skirmishes ?

Maybe, but i believe there is a middle ground to be catered for - people who are not at all geardos but nevertheless would like a bit more adventure in their skirmishes... like me :) Sounds like you'd be a great person to get involved with organising events. Maybe one offs hosted at existing sites to start with, so you'd be working under the umbrella of their public liability insurance...?

Yes I agree. I find some of these milsim groups a little sinister with talk of ranks and selection processes.

On the other hand, setting 50 people blasting away at another 50 across the wood gets a little boring after a while.

There has to be some middle ground.

At the end of the day, one of the thrills, much like warfare computer games has got to be using tactics and planning to succeed.

The thrill is in a successful mission. I'm sure we've all felt the buzz of working through a scenario in Battlefield or COD and getting back to the exfil helicopter.

There has to be away of recreating this in Airsoft without it costing a fortune. Even if the teams take a turn in getting the good feeling ?

• Supporters

Depends on the pilot, I'd say. An ex-military pilot, somebody used to medivacs under small arms fire say, might well enjoy a bit of excitement :lol:

But anyway, in what world do we imagine a BB or 20 could bring down a helicopter? Do we not imagine that the designers of helicopters realise that the down draught will blow debris all over the place and that the helicopter, or another one, may get bits of whatever crap is flying about in the air intake of the engine? Obviously there is a system which prevents this from becoming a problem and at least one level of redundancy...

you'd think so, but most commercial helicopters certainly don't have any kind of filter on their engines and an awful lot of military ones don't either. Adding filters reduces airflow which in turn reduces engine efficiency and power output. Both are extremely bad for helicopters!

Also, BB wise it wouldn't surprise me, deployment in 2011 we changed 3 engines on our Lynx because it had been FODed by wood chippings, a cable tie and some wire. A hail of BBs would cause similar damage I expect!

All hypothetical of course, anyone who shoots at an aircraft in flight is a massive c*nt.

Archived