shs 16.1 gear set

alex90
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

right this may sound silly

next month im guna do a gearbox rebuild replace bearing for bushing reshim polish everything

and im guna replace most of the internals at the same time for a shs gearbox set

but at the mo all I can find are ak sets or m4/m16 sets

now hers the £1 question is the only difference the nozzle sizes between each set

because if so il order m4 set and diff nozzle for fiver of ebay :)

instead of ordering everything separately

thanks alex

Oh god, don't buy the m4 set if you have an ak, it just doesn't work. I know you can't see much of a difference in the pictures but m4 gear sets don't work properly in ak gearboxes as i've tried myself!

This is what happens if you try to cram an m4 gear set into an ak gearbox.......

CRUNCH CRUNCH WHIRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CRUNCH POP BAM BAM BAM BAM CRRRRAACK BRRRRRRR PEW!

The gears basically strip themselves because they cannot be aligned properly in an ak gearbox due to the way the V3 gearbox is designed. When I opened my gearbox up again after that, there was a tonnes of metal shavings from the gears.

Basically, the difference in the size of the gears are very minimal and are hard to spot with the eye but when you shove it into the wrong gearbox, it will not sound good. (No dirty thoughts there)

But yeh... the air nozzle length differs.

Okay,simple.

The AK one is for a V3 and the M4 one is for a V2 gearbox.

what gun are you considering upgrading?

Here are the compatible parts of V2 and V3.

-Gears

-Cylinder

-Spring

-Anti Reversal Latch

No, gears are not compatible.

• Supporters

They are... Gears are universal. Fairly sure of it.

It's for a src g36 gen 2 And I'm 99% that gears will fit and going on the m4 set being for a gen 2 thenough bar the nozzle being wrong length what else will not fit for defo then

• Supporters

The gears are the same for V2 & V3 gearboxes. There are some gear differences in more exotic gearboxes, but as Ed says, gears are gears.

Frizz, I dunno what caused your problem, but it wasn't putting M4 gears in an AK gearbox. I could have simply been putting shite gears in a box with a powerful motor and spring. I've bought several sets which have been labelled V2/3

Here's a thing: in those sets the cylinder heads look the same, but I've seen V2 cylinder heads that look obviously different to V3 ones. Then again there seems to be 2 types of V3 cylinder head too - the usual one like in those sets you linked to and one which has a raised profile to the edge of the part that surrounds the nozzle on the opposite side to the gap for the tappet plate. I'm pretty sure that the V2 and V3 cylinder heads have different length tubes for the nozzles to fit on also.

I hate to piss on your chips, but the SRC G36 air nozzle is not the same as any of the AK sizes I've identified (at least 3), nor the same as those which are usually sold for G36's (which seem to be like the longest AK type but it's very difficult to tell them apart by pics and nobody seems to actually say how many mm are involved ffs!). If you want an aluminium air nozzle for an SRC G36 you'll need to order it directly from SRC. I did. $8.84 posted [email protected] the bloke you want is called Mordred Chiang (I sh!t you not).

I put SHS 16:1 gears in my SRC G36KV and they're great with a 7.4V LiPo - I'm currently having a problem where the gearbox fires semi or full out of the receiver but semi only once fitted, even though the selector plate moves just as much in both cases. I doubt it has anything to do with my choice of gears, but I don't yet know what the problem is so I thought it best to mention.

Do you mean that you're going to replace the bushings with bearings? Hope so.

That's brilliant mate I was fully aware that the nozzle

From a ak not Guna fit a g36 but I just wanted everything else from that set and I'm running 7.1 Lipo now what sort rof do u get as standard not bad but not amazing

And I was told bushing are better then bearings for guns with a higher rate of fire they have to be polished on the mating side cant memba wear I saw it but think was airsoft gi there gearbox guri little twi guy said bushings all the way

• Supporters

Soz i don't have figures for rof, but at a guess I'd say that 16:1 makes up for the loss that dropping from nominal 8.4V to 7.4V with 18:1 gears produced. I put a King Kong MOSFET in it at the same time to switch full auto into 3rnd burst so I don't have much to go on...

I'm prepared to be open minded about bushings, but honestly I don't see how the gear axle spinning against a solid surface can produce less friction than bearings. I mean yeah there's lube to consider but you'd put teflon grease on either if you're serious about reducing friction

- I suppose that if the bushings and gear axles were as polished as the pinch wheel post in a tape machine, then they would out perform average bearings, but I'm pretty certain that they're not - at best you've got pressed chrome vanadium steel bushings vs CNC'd drop forged mid carbon steel gears. That is not going to even compare to average bearings which are hardened high carbon steel rolling on polished sprung steel... you could go the whole hog and get Kanzen ceramic bearings :lol:

I don't find much of a difference in rate of fire between my 7.4lipo or 8.4v hence why I wanted 16.1 gear ratio to bring it up a tad but I don't want massive rate of fore that's why I've got a kwa mp9 hahaha and u noticed much of a change in trigger response as I think mine is pants haha

U have a good point about bushings vs bearings I always thought bearings would be better but if u got bearing have no problems then might stick to

New bearing instead but If I was build the mother of all gearboxs then I would worry more but I'm not it a woodland gun so don't really need it

And there 8mm bearing if u memba correctly for gen 2

• Supporters

Yeah, there's a slight improvement in trigger response, but I can't say i'm totally happy with it. I'm probably going to go with 11.1V eventually, for that very reason. If I can get the King Kong working properly hard wired I can tune the rof down with it, which is something i didn't know when i bought the 5000mAh 7.4V LiPo I'm rocking in my KV stock - it's a significant investment to just sideline :'(

Re: bearings - http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/kanzen-8mm-aeg-synergie-bearing-universal-ceramic.html problem is the 8mm ceramics seem to be out of stock everywhere, even France (& for some reason French airsofters do seem to really love particularly Kanzen bearings). Fire Support have got their classic steel bearings in 8mm though.

Sweet might have to keep and eye out for them

And I'v got the I've stock to so battery space not a problem hehe but I just hate the clunky feeling I get with my trigger but that might be to the fact I wired it wrong way once haha but can't find out till I have the box apart

• Supporters

How much did the nozzle cost inc. P&P?

Pls let us know how you get on with those Modify bearings...?

Yeah course I will mate but won't be till next month thou and cost me 10 euro For nozzle but I got tub of grease and New selector plate total came with deilvery 35euros from airsoftEurope.Eu

Archived