Belts - Which One ?

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im considering wearing a belt, primarily to hang a leg holster on one side and a knife sheath on the other.

There seem to be a lot of different types and buckle fittings available ?

Any wisdom on belt selection please ?

• Supporters

Viper belts are very robust - they also have a buckle that needs to have the sides squeezed as well as a button pressed to undo it, which is designed to stop people with whom you may be fighting undoing it and pulling your kecks down, which is nice if you're worried about being raped! Actually it's good because a lot of weight on your belt can cause even a light squeeze on the sides of an ordinary side lock buckle to open. They also have velcro all around the inside so they are completely adjustable and also can lock some velcro equipped belt loops/hangers in place.

Something to consider when choosing a belt to support kit is how big is your arse? Despite being a fat bastard in the gut, my arse is pretty slim which means that I have to do my belt up very tight to stop my drop leg pistol holster and dump pouch, with pistol, speedloader, mags, gloves, bayonet frog, and rubber knife, from pulling my kecks down. Which means it has to be very comfy.

My Viper belt has nice rounded edges, but I have another 50mm khaki duty belt which is just a wide webbing strap with a bit of velcro inside and the edges can dig in uncomfortably.

I like the look of the new style rigger belt with the abseiling loop and roll pin buckle, but frankly I'll bet they're actually a lot less comfy than an ordinary duty belt. I'm not likely to need to abseil or be airlifted too quickly to use a stretcher, so it comes down to the 6" stilettos argument looks vs comfort.

I have found that using a PLCE belt and yoke to support my holster and dump pouch is a lot more practical than the same belt that holds my kecks up, but that means taking a lot of stuff off the PLCE webbing set to make it fit right. Still, I'd recommend using some kind of belt & yoke combination.

I have to agree with Ian, I have a couple of the viper belts and they are the DB's, better than the issue ones and can't be seen now we don't tuck our shirts in :angry::(

The blackhawk rigger belts are also good and Ian has a valid point about them, consider carefully as they are expensive for a belt(£30+) if its only for looks.

I have a blackhawk rigger belt which I use on FTX's and yes it is comfy as it sits better with my body armour but is not as comfy as the viper belts in general use.

• Supporters

I use a viper one, they're sturdy and last well but I think they're too rigid, they don't want to wrap around you easily which I find is a pain.

Personally I'd recommend looking at other rigger's belts however if none take your fancy the viper is still there as a more simplistic back up choice.

depending on your gear.. i wear a old 58' pattern webbing belt. lots of soldiers prefer them to the crappy green issued ones. i wore mine for like 5 years in service everyday and now wear it for airsoft. i wore it with 95s and MTP. sturdy as hell but comfy.

• Supporters

depending on your gear.. i wear a old 58' pattern webbing belt. lots of soldiers prefer them to the crappy green issued ones. i wore mine for like 5 years in service everyday and now wear it for airsoft. i wore it with 95s and MTP. sturdy as hell but comfy.

I've heard that from a few soldiers. I used to have one back in the day which was very comfortable, but the one I have with the '58 pattern webbing I bought last year is really tough and annoying - over starched i think. Maybe i should boil it half to death...

• Supporters

Another +1 for the Viper belt but I don't use it for holding my kecks up! Mine is fastened into the belt loops on my tac vest so the weight of any holsters/dump bags etc goes through the vest, not my trousers. That way your viper belt can take the weight of all your kit and your arse cleavage need never be seen!

Thanks all.

I bought a Viper Patrol Belt in the end for £8.50

Haven't worn it to a skirmish yet but it seems comfortable enough and its somewhere to hang my bayonet frog and Cold steel from.

Archived