Why Do You Play Airsoft ?

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Have you ever asked yourself why you play Airsoft ?

What makes you want to do it ?

On the face of it and in the same way that Golf is a grown person knocking a little ball round a big field until he loses it in a number of holes, Airsoft is often a grown person dressed up as a soldier trying to shoot little white balls at other similar persons from a toy gun.

Why?

it is a great way of bonding with my mates, after having served 12yrs as a submariner in the RN based 500 miles from home I wasn't able to spend much time with them in the past. I also enjoy the exercise, have had tendinitis in my ankle for the last year and airsoft in the woods is great physio on it as the pace varies as well as the ground which is helping build the muscles back up to strength. It is also really cool to play with guns and shoot people! :D

• Supporters

Me and my family were walking the dog when I was maybe 8 or 9 and accidentaly stumbled across the Combat South safe zone. I saw the guns and gear and couldn't wait till I was old enough to start myself.

Basically, I like guns and if airsoft allows me to own the closest thing, then I'm not stopping any time soon.

• Supporters

for me :-

realistic guns :D

Team based games, with objectives giving a good after feeling etc :D

its a honour based game B)

getting to shoot the sh1t out of strangers (and being shot at), then the banter in the safe zone :lol:

errrrrr ...

exercise :wacko:

paintball is too expensive <_<

having spent some time firing real SA80s and owning an AEG L86 Carbine, the feel of the gun is incredibley similar. But shooting it is easier with iron sights on the SA80, but with a SUSAT is easier on the BB gun

Because it's nice to play around with realistic guns that don't ACTUALLY kill people, and meet new people who share the same interesting hobby.

It's also my only form of exercise :ph34r:

I play Airsoft to get away from my missus! :lol:

Hope she didn't see me type this! :(:ph34r:

In all seriousness though, I play because I got hooked after the first time and it's a great way to sweat of a few pounds in weight and in your wallet! :)

For the most part, I really enjoy the honesty and integrity of the sport as well as the social aspect of it. Can safely say that I always get a buzz when I on my way to and from a skirmish.

The voices in my head tell me to shoot people...

Although I'm a bit of a weapons collector - and airsoft allows me to have replicas of weapons that are well beyond my budget (or are still in current service, so not deactivated) - I have to say the main reason I airsoft is for fun. Honestly, if airsoft wasn't fun, I don't think I'd have made it past my first skirmish. And it's made me strive to get fitter, so there's a health aspect to it.

There's the community too. Aside from the very occasional tosser (but name a community without them), I'm struggling to think of any other community that is so welcoming, friendly and enjoyable to be around.

for me :-

realistic guns :D

Team based games, with objectives giving a good after feeling etc :D

getting to shoot the sh1t out of strangers (and being shot at), then the banter in the safe zone :lol:

errrrrr ...

exercise :wacko:

paintball is too expensive <_<

Agreed.

To add:

It gets the adrenaline going, as there is actually consequence to getting hit (see the mark still on my forehead a week later) and that moment of "oh sod it" when you make a run to try and break the enemy postions.

The unforgetable moments of idiocy/stupidity/bravery/luck... (and the occasional faceplant moment when it all goes wrong)

• Root Admin

My friends started playing when I was 13, and I remember one of my friend's Dad had a shed that was just full to the brim with airsoft weapons (there must have been over £10k worth of rifles etc. all racked up nicely); I just thought the whole thing was interesting, and we played a few times in Essex (underage, but we were stupid kiddy-winkles so) and I'd always wanted my parents to get me an AEG of my own (this was just a couple of months before UKARA came into effect) but I had to move country.

When I moved back, I started playing again; shooting at people with lasers and paint is fun, but airsoft is just on another level.

• Supporters

I play just because i am ex army, I like using tactics and it's great to have weapons that are realistic. Plus you get to meet a lot of new people all of which are into the same thing as you and like Suzuki Yamamoto said to get away from the missus lol,.

Well, I did... at two points, well over a year ago... Just wanted to have a chance to full auto someone in their behind whilst they're not expecting me. And wanted to use my sh*tty AK.

Too bad NCIS airsoft shut down. Apparently it's because of a rebuild but most people said they left completely because of the admins being........ a woman's genitalia.

I had fun there anyways.

• Supporters

It started as something that I tried for exercise because it looked like a laugh. I don't particularly enjoy many sports and I have health issues which make any exercise painful so, even disregarding the usual laziness, I'm disinclined to walk let alone do something that is boring or annoying. But airsoft is so much more than a laugh.

The competitive aspect makes me try harder; the fact that hits often hurt makes me move; the mild 'action adventure' vibe about skirmishing is sorta recapturing my youth, but in a much safer way, which is good because a hospitalisation these days could easily be my last; there's a fantasy element to it too because I almost joined up, a few of my mates did, but I'm also glad that I didn't - so it's like the 'fun' bit of soldiering without the boring bits and the whole "if it moves, salute it - if it doesn't, paint it", or the crippling wounds;

(break wall of text)

I also really enjoy dressing up - probably the least said about that the better on this forum, but it's nothing half as weird as that seems to sound :lol: ; out of the safe zone is a place where I can exercise parts of my character which are unhelpful in everyday life as well as my body, such as impatience, arrogance, revenge seeking; although I really don't want to actually hurt anybody (i mean i live by a whole 'tread lightly' philosophy), I do enjoy shooting them - I think it's because they hide and shoot back, you know, it's not like shooting targets (for me, as soon as I've mastered how to consistently hit as good a grouping as that gun is capable of without hundreds of hours practice, I've had enough)...

Then there's you lot. Airsoft allows me to meet people with whom I'd never come into contact normally, which is not only just nice on the simple gregariousness level, it's life affirming to be able to have a laugh together even though many of us have radically different points of view, lifestyles, expectations, aspirations, political ideas / lack thereof, etc and then there's a few people I've met with whom I'm becoming friends (you know who you are).

It started as something that I tried for exercise because it looked like a laugh. I don't particularly enjoy many sports and I have health issues which make any exercise painful so, even disregarding the usual laziness, I'm disinclined to walk let alone do something that is boring or annoying. But airsoft is so much more than a laugh.

The competitive aspect makes me try harder; the fact that hits often hurt makes me move; the mild 'action adventure' vibe about skirmishing is sorta recapturing my youth, but in a much safer way, which is good because a hospitalisation these days could easily be my last; there's a fantasy element to it too because I almost joined up, a few of my mates did, but I'm also glad that I didn't - so it's like the 'fun' bit of soldiering without the boring bits and the whole "if it moves, salute it - if it doesn't, paint it", or the crippling wounds;

(break wall of text)

I also really enjoy dressing up - probably the least said about that the better on this forum, but it's nothing half as weird as that seems to sound :lol: ; out of the safe zone is a place where I can exercise parts of my character which are unhelpful in everyday life as well as my body, such as impatience, arrogance, revenge seeking; although I really don't want to actually hurt anybody (i mean i live by a whole 'tread lightly' philosophy), I do enjoy shooting them - I think it's because they hide and shoot back, you know, it's not like shooting targets (for me, as soon as I've mastered how to consistently hit as good a grouping as that gun is capable of without hundreds of hours practice, I've had enough)...

Then there's you lot. Airsoft allows me to meet people with whom I'd never come into contact normally, which is not only just nice on the simple gregariousness level, it's life affirming to be able to have a laugh together even though many of us have radically different points of view, lifestyles, expectations, aspirations, political ideas / lack thereof, etc and then there's a few people I've met with whom I'm becoming friends (you know who you are).

Here Here!

Various reasons:

-Why play xbox games, when you can stay fit and play outside with (nearly) the real deal.

-We now have 18 members in our team, so its a great social group (we do bowling nights!).

-It doesn't always sound 'good' but men love guns, like they love vehicles!

-Airsoft is cheaper than paintball, and is taken a bit more seriously.

I play to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

I'm not entirelly sure the exact reasons I play. As I'm not competitive at all, hate sports, etc. So its not really that side which interests me (the need to always win and be #1), not that many airsofters are all about that but I've ran into a few.
I think its just the teamwork, taking the time with making kits and playing in them and of course the realistic looking weapons. :P

I don't really have much interest in team sports. Like snowboarding but that isn't team based!!! But airsofting just really appeals to me. Always have a good game win or lose, and the banter is quality.

Jealous of people at work talking football etc, and me having no intrest in football wanted something like that.

Always liked guns too, and love buying gagets and messing around with them.

because where else can you look like a bad ass and shoot at people and not get in trouble?

Always wanted to do it. ever since i was 15 and had a springer TM glock17 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1996!

Finally got into it properly 15 years later!

Archived