Ian's guide to noobism on a tight budget.

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yeah I use German Paratrooper Boots also. Kept my feet nice and dry various times when ive fell into bogs.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woo Hoo I've finally contributed something of use lol

Yeh I have a pair of pretty expensive Solomon fell running shoes for mountain biking But with the Sorborthane insoles in the para boots they feel light with literally no poor impact on the bottom of my feet. as a matter of fact the Mrs has copied my idea for her dog walking boots.

• Supporters

We get a lot of people asking about maintenance too - as I've said elsewhere, if I rattle off a whole series of different internal parts which will eventually require some lubrication, you'll have little, if any, idea what I'm on about. By the time any of them could do with a little TLC, you will know, so look into that then. In the meantime all you need to do is keep the muzzle free of dirt and clean the barrel periodically.

I like to clean my guns after pretty much every skirmish day, but that's because I love fiddling with them mainly, as unless you have reason to suspect more dirt may have got down the barrel than usual, if say you were skirmishing in a very dusty environment, every 2-3 game days will be fine. The easiest way to do it is to use these alcohol swabs on one of these cleaning rods. If you peel the swabs layers apart so it makes an oblong and cut it into 2 single layer squares, that is the perfect amount of cloth to fit down the barrel - just pull a corner through the slot in the rod and twist it all round the end gently before twisting it into the barrel. Continue to twist as you push it all the way down until it goes no further (this will also clean any oil/grease off the interior hop rubber) and do the same as you withdraw it. There will be yellowish/brown/black residue on the swab. Take the 2nd square and repeat. If this one comes out with obvious stains then cut another swab and continue until it comes out clean / almost clean.

• 3 months later...
  • Supporters

As a person looking to get into the sport. This is an absolute godsend. Cheers for making this ;)

Thanks for saying so. If you find anything out of date or any broken links, etc., please tell me so i can update the guide.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I am new to airsoft and I have got boots and a face mask I am just looking for a gun. My budget is £100 and I was just wondering is there any M4 rifle I can get for that price (that I can use in a skirmish) I am looking for a range of 30m+ and good FPS even though FPS has little to do with range. Please someone help me!! :S

Hey I am new to airsoft and I have got boots and a face mask I am just looking for a gun. My budget is £100 and I was just wondering is there any M4 rifle I can get for that price (that I can use in a skirmish) I am looking for a range of 30m+ and good FPS even though FPS has little to do with range. Please someone help me!! :S

For £100 you'd be hard pressed to find many new decent rifles at that price. You'd be better off looking in the for sale section of the forum. However there are some available that are just over your price range.

No UKARA membership/under 18:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-clear-plastic-m4a1-fixed-stock-airsoft-gun-aeg

UKARA registered:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-plastic-m4a1-fixed-stubby-stock-airsoft-gun-aeg

Both of these are over your budget (£100.57 not including postage) and will need batteries and a charger bought seperately:

Battery:

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/8-4v-1600mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-battery-pack-3x2-1.html

Decent smart charger:

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/600ma-smart-charger-for-8-4v-airsoft-batteries.html

You can see now why I recommend looking in the for sale forum, it soon adds up to £150+ new. That's unless you shop abroad on sites like Taiwan Gun, but you will have to be UKARA registered and have that number (plus a contact number) printed on the packaging so customs don't destroy it when they realise it's a RIF.

• Supporters

^^that

BTW, fps has loads to do with range.

Loads.

When you look at it,it actually does.

It's starting to be more accepted that the BB rides the top of the barrel(Around airsoftmechanics at least) from testing with a transparent acrylic barrel and simply looking at wear marks. My VSR barrel with nearly 100,000 round through has much more wear on the top of the barrel.

Now-this is a bit of my own theorizing so I may cock up a wee bit,I used to be on the 'FPS doesn't matter a lot but it matters' fence but now I hopped into 'it bloody well matters mate' garden.

The BB is riding the top of the barrel and it has backspin. Then you have air blowing behind it to propel it,and since there is always some space under it as it is riding the top,air is also blowing by it.

air blowing forward to a back spinning object. Would that not mean an increase in backspin?

Increased FPS does improve performance,very noticeable if you use heavier rounds. After some upgrading my VSR now fires 320 FPS instead of 290. The greater speed of the air volume and if my little theory is correct,increased backspin from the air going under the BB has actually gained me some significant performance boosts. I can use a lower hop setting now to get equal or better performance than I did with a lower velocity.

I think this is affected also by the amount of air volume in the cylinder in relation to inner barrel volume and of course how fast this volume of air is being pushed out of the cylinder.

VFwtbvV.jpg

• Supporters

Makes sense to me, UTJ. The lift generated by backspin results from friction dragging air from below, leaving negative pressure. Air blowing past ought to interact with the BB. I was going to say 'so long as the escaping air is travelling faster than the circumference of the BB', but actually that doesn't matter. If it is moving more slowly than the rotation (as I suspect) it would still add force to that angular momentum.

Crucial to understanding how BB's behave in the field though is to realise that the barrel is not still, so although the BB will have a tendency to ride the top of the barrel, if you move while firing (including minute involuntary twitches), the space around the BB will change position, relative to its centre, and that friction will begin to alter the direction of spin, relative to the trajectory. +1 for keeping stock still as a sniper...

• 2 months later...
  • Supporters

Fixed a couple of OOD links. If anyone spots any more, please say so.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

Is that when you're sitting on a leather swivel chair under a spotlight, your mind goes blank?

• Supporters

doh1.jpg#doh%20430x365

• Supporters

Turns out that Vapextech have their own ebay shop and their shipping costs are considerably better than componentshop's so that will be my choice from now on, for NiMh batteries at least. For LiPo's hobbyking for Turnigy Nano Techs is the way forward imo.

So I have a budget of £60 for a starter gun any suggestions

You may want to consider getting a bigger budget mate. £60 won't really get you anything much skirmishable. You really need about £100- £150 minimum to get set up with a good gun. Sorry :(

• Supporters

So I have a budget of £60 for a starter gun any suggestions

Save up another £25 & have a look on gunfire.pl for a CYMA CM.028U - u will then need £14 for a better battery posted, to last all day (2 would be best = 1 for spare). The mag it comes with holds about 550 BB's so that will do to start with, but a 2nd hicap will get you through just about any skirmish engagement and only costs €7.55 so may as well get it at the same time as the gun.

You will get free postage on that order, but not a free spring downgrade. They list "Other support services" at €17.07 plus you would have to buy the spring = €3.75

Or save up and go to taiwangun.com for a CYMA CM.028A or CM.028U and they will do a free spring downgrade so long as you check the checkbox in their order form to open the comments box and ask for it to fire at 345FPS (or 365 depending on your local site's limits) - you may need to buy the spring in the same order also / best to email them and check. They will add £11.50-ish for shipping. Get your spare mag from twg also to avoid extra P&P but still go with the Vapextech battery above.

To order from either of these Polish companies you must have a UKARA registration number or UK Customs may very well destroy your gun, if the vendor will even post it (gunfire probably wouldn't but twg may).

Otherwise you may be able to find something 2nd hand for £60 but it will more than likely need a lot of TLC. You may be tempted to buy something orange made by the likes of DE, or an SRC M4, from a website with bbguns in the name - don't bother - you cannot skirmish a POS at all because you will get owned so much that you will have little to no fun. I mean, first few times out you will get owned anyway, but you need the possibility of getting revenge a few times each day, which requires range and accuracy - both of which can be found in a CYMA AK.

If you cannot bear to join the dark side, save up some more still and get a G&G CM16 Raider M4, or a JG G36 (from proairsoftsupplies.co.uk or zerooneairsoft.com)

Save up another £25 & have a look on gunfire.pl for a CYMA CM.028U - u will then need £14 for a better battery posted, to last all day (2 would be best = 1 for spare). The mag it comes with holds about 550 BB's so that will do to start with, but a 2nd hicap will get you through just about any skirmish engagement and only costs €7.55 so may as well get it at the same time as the gun.

You will get free postage on that order, but not a free spring downgrade. They list "Other support services" at €17.07 plus you would have to buy the spring = €3.75

Or save up some more and go to taiwangun.com for a CYMA CM.028A or CM.028U and they will do a free spring downgrade so long as you check the checkbox in their order form to open the comments box and ask for it to fire at 345FPS (or 365 depending on your local site's limits) - you may need to buy the spring in the same order also / best to email them and check. They will add £11.50-ish for shipping. Get your spare mag from twg also to avoid extra P&P but still go with the Vapextech battery above.

To order from either of these Polish companies you must have a UKARA registration number or UK Customs may very well destroy your gun, if the vendor will even post it (gunfire probably wouldn't but twg may).

Otherwise you may be able to find something 2nd hand for £60 but it will more than likely need a lot of TLC. You may be tempted to buy something orange made by the likes of DE, or an SRC M4, from a website with bbguns in the name - don't bother - you cannot skirmish a POS at all because you will get owned so much that you will have little to no fun. I mean, first few times out you will get owned anyway, but you need the possibility of getting revenge a few times each day, which requires range and accuracy - both of which can be found in a CYMA AK.

If you cannot bear to join the dark side, save up some more still and get a G&G CM16 Raider M4, or a JG G36.

Speaking of which, you really need to update some of the links in the main post, as a lot of them are out of date

Archived