Ian's guide to noobism on a tight budget.

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, I was merely going along with Ian's idea until I saw that after you pointed it out ;)

But yeah for full immersion tempering that'd probably be ok.

I cant believe someone suggested pissing in their boots to soften them, yer i think they used to do it.....when we were fighting napoleon! i find putting them on and sticking your feet in hot water softens them pretty well. that and keeping them polished.

As Moose has said, that softens your boots. If you get them particulary muddy, kill 2 birds with one stone. Stand in the shower to clean your boots off and soften them ;)

Nice guide Ian! Only two things I'd change- as its about being on a tight budget, I dont think an l85 is worth including and that MAG dont make high caps.

(and possibly change the price of gbbr mags to £35 :D )

Other than that it's good to go :)

Most GBBR Mags are closer to the £50 mark.

KWA/KSC/WA/G&P/Prowin/GHK kinda outnumbers TM/WE.

• Supporters

Most GBBR Mags are closer to the £50 mark.

KWA/KSC/WA/G&P/Prowin/GHK kinda outnumbers TM/WE.

I guess but the most common and popular ones TM/WE (and I suppose G&G) are at a lower price and come in more variants/models, in terms of numbers sold and easily available over here the TMs and WEs outnumber the rest by a sizeable amount. Equally though, I didn't realise all of KWA's were priced so high- I assumed it was just the mp7's as they're hard to get hold of though I've never really looked to see, I thought most of their other smg and lm4 mags were nearer £40.

I guess but the most common and popular ones TM/WE (and I suppose G&G) are at a lower price and come in more variants/models, in terms of numbers sold and easily available over here the TMs and WEs outnumber the rest by a sizeable amount. Equally though, I didn't realise all of KWA's were priced so high- I assumed it was just the mp7's as they're hard to get hold of though I've never really looked to see, I thought most of their other smg and lm4 mags were nearer £40.

I wish the KWA were cheaper, just sourced and bought 8 of the PMAG's for my LM4, my bank account has been crying since.

• Supporters

Rubbing Vaseline into the inside of really hard leather softens it. TBH i'm not sure that piss has any great leather softening properties other than being wet. In olden times they used piss to bleach leather. Actually I think Native Americans did that too, but I think that they had some complex process for softening buckskins. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea got started when the soldiers were all dressed in bright red and white, standing in a field waiting to be pounded by cannon shot...

Old sergeant looks down the legs of young recruit and says with a grin, "Never mind, lad. It softens your boots."

• 2 weeks later...

What is it about G&G m4's that make them so good?

It's not their m4s that are good, it's their combat machine range. Great for the beginner at only £120ish and are very solid, require little maintenance and the internals are built to last.

• Supporters

What is it about G&G m4's that make them so good?

Just to what Zak Da Mack has said, you get a hell of a lot of rifle for very little money

The range my g&g cm16 raider L has, has put to shame many more expensive guns :) and they come with a one year warranty now (zero one is offering this)

Rubbing Vaseline into the inside of really hard leather softens it. TBH i'm not sure that piss has any great leather softening properties other than being wet. In olden times they used piss to bleach leather. Actually I think Native Americans did that too, but I think that they had some complex process for softening buckskins. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea got started when the soldiers were all dressed in bright red and white, standing in a field waiting to be pounded by cannon shot...

Old sergeant looks down the legs of young recruit and says with a grin, "Never mind, lad. It softens your boots."

I play Baseball, so I know a few leather break in tricks. Vaseline can work, and it can not, but when I was asking a company about it, they said it can not and make it heavier. Though, alot of people have had great experiences, and I would agree it works :)

I play Baseball, so I know a few leather break in tricks. Vaseline can work, and it can not, but when I was asking a company about it, they said it can not and make it heavier. Though, alot of people have had great experiences, and I would agree it works. Then again, this was breaking it in to a hand, and not softening it, so im nearly 100% sure it'll do the job :)

• 3 months later...
  • Supporters

OP updated with further experience and new links. Any criticism/suggestions to help keep this guide useful are greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

7. it is not illegal for an u18 to own a gun without hideous two-tone paint. Some retailers will sell a RIF to an adult accompanying a minor who has proof of being a skirmisher, but it is also not illegal for an u18 regular skirmisher to 'manufacture an RIF', ie strip the two-tone paint off (with Fairy Power Spray). Therefore, do whatever you need to do to get a Realistic looking Assault Rifle.

A tutorial as to how to strip off the paint would be much appreciated, as I'm fed up with using a bright green MP5K!

• Supporters

^^There is one on here somewhere. There's a few on you tube too. In a few minutes, the power of my googlefu we will see, my young paddy-whatnot...

Here we go.

As I remember it, the last time we discussed this subject we came to the conclusion that what you need is any solution which is alkali but not so high PH as a strong NaOh solution, drain cleaner stylee, but since Fairy Power Spray isn't that expensive, there's probably not much point arsing about with stuff which could potentially melt your plastic (unless you have a spare handguard, for eg, which you're prepared to risk for the sake of you tube fame and our general edification... anybody?).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Wish that this guide was around when I started out!

Me too. That's why I wrote it!

• Supporters

TBH, except on the back of my heels, like proper soaking my socks, to stop trainers rubbing when dancing all weekend, or to massage into leather boot heels, I wouldn't use it for anything. Especially not bumsecks.

Great guide.

As a beginner: The best thing I did when I got my boots was that I went to my local surplus store & picked up some 2nd hand German army para boots (Any army leather boots will do it) which cost me £30, I softened them with organic coconut oil (I work with Chemist's in a lab & this was advised by them) which worked perfectly. Then bought some "Sorbothane" insoles. the boots are now as comfortable & feel lighter than any walking boots on the market (Which I have tried in the past) & cost less than anything new.

I bought all my stuff from Surplus shops, forum classifieds & E-bay. My whole Load out cost less that £100. THe only thing i need now is a chest rig & Rif (Both of which I will get once I know what suits me better)

• Supporters

Yeah, I wear German Para Boots too. Totally reliable for walking on anything you might find on an airsoft site and waterproof, with really good ankle support.

I never thought of using coconut oil on them before, but yeah it sounds like a plan. I use 1 pair of Poundland memory foam insoles with a pair of Trainer Tamer Odour Eaters on top, plus under those is some shaped bits of gel insole from fleabay (for tiny little Asian female feet I think) under the balls of my feet and heels to stop my feet slipping about and crushing my toes (because they are very slim).

Edit: oh aye, and thanks :)

Archived