Proving that I am a regular skirmisher?

pottage7
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello guys.

I'm new here. I don't have a UKARA license, I am 21 years of age, however I have skirmished 3 times at a local licensed and insured site. From what I have read in this forum, that means that if I were to buy a RIF from a seller on this forum, it would be legal since I have a defense because I am a regular skirmisher? I'm not really clued up on the laws surrounding airsofting, and the UKARA in general.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'd like to buy a GBB pistol non two tone. I am a regular skirmisher (by definition of playing 3+ times within a 2 month period). Would it be legal to buy 2nd hand from a seller here, and how would I go about proving to the seller that I am actually a regular skirmisher?

Feel free to clue me in on the law/situation, be as harsh as necessary.

Thanks in advance.

You need some sort of physical proof that you actually have been skirmishing. You could create a diary of some sort in which you record the date you went before being signed off by a marshal. That should give you enough proof.

I'm guessing that I can't really do the diary thing now because it's already passed the time? Do bruises count? haha. Thanks for the quick reply though. I guess I'll just put in the paper work for my UKARA at my next skirmish.

Speak to the site. They will possibly hold records for those who have played, and hence can offer you proof. If you've been a few times, the site manager might remember you. Try talking to him/her and ask them if you could give their phone number to a seller to contact to prove you are a regular skirmisher.

Remember, UKARA is NOT a licence. It's merely the retailers way of providing themselves with a defense against prosecution under the VCRA.

Under the VCRA, it is an offence to SELL (note, NOT to BUY) a RIF. It is the SELLER who commits the offence, not the buyer!

As a point of accuracy, the UKARA requirement is three skirmishes in NOT LESS THAN (not within) two months.

Anyway, if you have visited a site a few times, and someone senior there is willing to speak to the seller, or provide something in writing saying you've played there, then I would accept that as sufficient evidence.

Of course, always remember that it is the seller's responsibility to prove the defence (or that they have taken reasonable steps to assure that you are one of the groups which there is a defence for selling to) if called upon by a court to do so. If they decide that the level of proof required is more than you can provide then they have the absolute right not to sell to you.

Speak to the site. They will possibly hold records for those who have played, and hence can offer you proof. If you've been a few times, the site manager might remember you. Try talking to him/her and ask them if you could give their phone number to a seller to contact to prove you are a regular skirmisher.

Remember, UKARA is NOT a licence. It's merely the retailers way of providing themselves with a defense against prosecution under the VCRA.

Under the VCRA, it is an offence to SELL (note, NOT to BUY) a RIF. It is the SELLER who commits the offence, not the buyer!

As a point of accuracy, the UKARA requirement is three skirmishes in NOT LESS THAN (not within) two months.

Anyway, if you have visited a site a few times, and someone senior there is willing to speak to the seller, or provide something in writing saying you've played there, then I would accept that as sufficient evidence.

Of course, always remember that it is the seller's responsibility to prove the defence (or that they have taken reasonable steps to assure that you are one of the groups which there is a defence for selling to) if called upon by a court to do so. If they decide that the level of proof required is more than you can provide then they have the absolute right not to sell to you.

This is some great info, thank you very much.

• Supporters

The generally accepted defence is to play 3 times in not less then 2 months (and not mor than 12 months). When you next play you cou;ld fill in the forms to register with UKARA - it is not a licence but just a database of players with a valid defence that makes it easy for retailers to check.

If you want to buy a RIF before registering then you could give the seller your site's details and they could phone and ask them to confirm that you are a regular player.

You do not have to register with UKARA at all as you would still have a valid defence - it just makes it easier to prove to others that you have the defence.

The onus is on the seller to satisfy themselves that you have a valid defence. Keeping a diary and getting it initialled by a marshall is fine but it would still be up to the seller to decide if they would accept that or prefer to call the site for verification.

I've heard mixed things about UKARA. A friend told me it costs £100+ and I've just read on some forums that it's free? Could someone please clarify this? Because the £100+ is the only reason I have to register my UKARA defense. Also I fill out a form, get it stamped, then to go a retailer and they will add me to the database correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I've heard mixed things about UKARA. A friend told me it costs £100+ and I've just read on some forums that it's free? Could someone please clarify this? Because the £100+ is the only reason I have to register my UKARA defense. Also I fill out a form, get it stamped, then to go a retailer and they will add me to the database correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is free, but some sites make you pay a certain amount to put you in the UKARA database, pretty criminal if you ask me.

It is free, but some sites make you pay a certain amount to put you in the UKARA database, pretty criminal if you ask me.

Most sites want to charge you a membership fee, to become a member of the site. That's totally different from charging to be put on the UKARA database, which they can't anyway, as only a Retailer can add you to the database. A site can't, unless they are also a retailer (e.g. F&O sites).

• Supporters

Perhaps his friend meant that to get on the UKARA database it will cost £100+ in the sense that, going to most sites and hiring kit generally costs about £35 for the day, at least in my experience. So that'd be £105 for three trips to qualify for UKARA.

It's not quite the same as paying over £100 to get UKARA as a singular thing, but it's a fair enough statement to make in my opinion.

That would be how I read it too Ed, though if he has played a couple of times already then the amount he'll need to spend is only £35 now.

If someone is charging people to complete the UKARA paperwork then I think the guys who run UKARA would like to know. I can't see it going down well (as it shouldn't, it would be very wrong to charge for the service IMHO)

Archived