A friendly hello

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning all,

just happened on the forums and thought I'd introduce myself. Tried airsofting myself recently and loved it. Did it on a stag do and after hearing a few stories of it mainly from the bride expected it being paintballinglite, a less painful version with people in silly get ups however I couldn't have been more wrong. It was far better than any paintballing I have ever done, the range of equipment that people had, the tactics, the fact that it was so much cheaper all made it a great day.

Certainly looking forward to going again soon although disapointed to think that it will be after wedding season now (at that age where every weekend is a wedding), going to start putting a bit of money away a month so that in a years time if I have been going regular I can think about getting my own gear so will be keeping an eye on this forum for ideas ect

Well, I'll be the first to say.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

Id give you cake, but the admins dont let us have cake.

Any way, feel free to check out the place and if you have any questions, no matter how stupid, ask away.

• Supporters

Hello! Amazing, a newcomer who doesn't want to spend a fortune on cool stuff they don't need sooner than yesterday if poss :lol:

Have a read of the stickies on here for the gen, and like da rif said, ask. Especially before spending money. Oh, and if you find any websites with bright orange guns all over their index page and "BBguns" in the web address, do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, give them any of your money without first getting the opinion of one or more experienced members here, literally no matter how good the deal seems.

Hello! Amazing, a newcomer who doesn't want to spend a fortune on cool stuff they don't need sooner than yesterday if poss :lol:

Have a read of the stickies on here for the gen, and like da rif said, ask. Especially before spending money. Oh, and if you find any websites with bright orange guns all over their index page and "BBguns" in the web address, do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, give them any of your money without first getting the opinion of one or more experienced members here, literally no matter how good the deal seems.

I would of ask this fella before doing any purchase xD

• Supporters

There's plenty of people with more experience than me on here, but I'll help where I can.

Cheers but no purchases for me for a long time after a couple of decades feeding my plastic crack addiction by buying 40k minatures my house is at bursting point for another hobby that I don't really love.

After talking to some lads at work decided we are going to try the matlock combat games site in August has anyone been there?

• Supporters

You can get by with a lot less than £600.

Basically all you really need are boots which support your ankles, your own eye protection that fits well and doesn't interfere with your vision much / if at all, and an Automatic Electric Gun or AEG - an assault rifle of some flavour if it's going to be your only one.

On top of that you need to hire a gun at least 3 times in not less than 2 months and not more than 12 to be able to register with UKARA, which is the easiest defence so you can buy a Realistic Imitation Firearm. After that it's just 'walk on' or 'green' fees to play so usually £15-20 and ammunition - £8 / 3000BB's

German Para Boots / British Assault Boots = £40

Eye Protection = £10-30

£105 to hire 3 times + £8 for ammo

G&G Combat Machine AEG = £150-ish

Laughing!

All the rest is boys toys mainly, except gloves in winter. You don't need camouflage, but it does help during some of the year. But you shouldn't pay more than £20 delivered for British DPM Soldier 95 trousers and shirt from fleabay.

Oh yeah, come to Skirmish Airsoft Mansfield - it's close to Matlock and cooler :)

Thanks for the reply, I was a little confused on the UKARA stuff, I thought you had to be a member at a site, I think we are coming to Mansfield now, I live off j28 and most of the lads who are coming with me live notts direction so it's in the middle. Aiming to come18/8.

• Supporters

Hope to shoot you there then, mate! :lol:

I don't think it actually is a requirement of UKARA that you be a member of a site, just that you play at a registered site 3 times and get a form (which can be downloaded) stamped by the organiser/owner/s to prove it, but certainly most sites seem to only be willing to register you with UKARA if you do become a member. So yeah, i forgot that - £30 to become a member of Skirmish and you get decent benefits for that - check it out.

My Kit Recommendations

Grade 1 Surplus MK5 German Para Boots £39.99 - get 'em while they're cheap!

Combined Eye & Face Protection £15.79 - either / or ->

Separate Eye Protection £32.50 inc P&P worn with ->

New Version Strike Steel Lower Face Mesh Mask £9.99 inc P&P - to save you from losing teeth.

British Army NI GLOVES Northern Ireland size LARGE - fleabay auction 2d 16hrs to go / or ->

Same Gloves from different seller £17.20 inc P&P Buy It Now

Combat Machines - I think Zero One have them cheapest but it's well worth talking to Stef @Skirmish to see what price he can do for you, and you won't have to pay P&P then...

IMO the best gun/£ currently available - CYMA CM.048M AKM-47 or the tactical version - CYMA CM.048 AK103

Kecks & Shirt

- the way they are sized is 3 numbers for trousers eg 80/88/108 = Inside Leg / Waist / Seat (leg + arse) in cm

& 2 numbers for shirts eg 180/104 = Height / Chest in cm

Oh yeah, and though the CYMA guns come with a battery it is sh!t, but you can get by with their included charger (but ask for advice on how to use it best). The G&G's don't come with batteries or charger.

LiPo/LiFe Charger £15.99 + P&P

7.4V LiPo Battery/ies depends on gun - I'd not get smaller than 1300mAh as main & I'd get a backup min. 1000mAh

Intelligent NiMh Charger £9.50 + P&P

8.4V NiMh Batteries £12.40 + P&P :- Mini Pack / Stick Pack / Crane Stock Pack - I'd get 2

You can save yourself P&P by buying any batteries from whomever you get your AEG from, but check the make with people on here before you buy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

cheers for the tip on Mansfield Ian, had a great time loads of variation in the site and the staff were brilliant.

September the 9th next for me, do I have to get a stamp or something so I can register with UKARA?

• Supporters

In theory you are supposed to get a form stamped, but Stef has it all computerised so just tell him that you want to get UKARA registered and he'll sort it out for you.

I really wish I could have been there yesterday, but an opportunity to buy the phone that I want to upgrade to came up so I couldn't afford it :( "Big Sunday" is the best day to go to Skirmish, but it's so well run that any day will be a good laugh. I'm not sure when I'll be there next, but no doubt you'll have me in your sights sooner or later :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Think my next one is going to be at Skirmish on the 7th, its an England weekend and I'm not bothered about seeing Project Owl bastardise football anymore.

Hopefully will have a mate with me but if not think I'm going to come on my own. Only disapointing thing about Mansfield was the food, I'm just not a pot noodle fan, will have to take a couple of cobs next time.

• Supporters

I don't think anyone is actually a fan of Snot Poodle, it just stops your belly rumbling while you rely on drinks, sweets, and/or dried fruit for energy!

I'm pretty sure I'll be there on the 15th, but maybe the 7th too. Hope to meet up :)

• Supporters

bloody hell, there's a refreshing change!

reference the other kind of plastic crack... I recently made £460 selling off a load of old black templar figures on eBay, worth a look if you're interested in clearing space and raising funds. I find also that if I'm selling things to buy other things, the fuhrer doesn't get so upset about it!

bloody hell, there's a refreshing change!

reference the other kind of plastic crack... I recently made £460 selling off a load of old black templar figures on eBay, worth a look if you're interested in clearing space and raising funds. I find also that if I'm selling things to buy other things, the fuhrer doesn't get so upset about it!

I keep thinking about selling some stuff but then I look at all the hours spent painting and can't bring myself to do it. Will bide my time for 7th edition in 2 years time and keep playing bloodbowl until then

Third game done. Got my paper work so now sorting registration. Some of the kids yesterday made me laugh bright orange AK' s, 3 or 4 pistols shoved down their trousers and trainers on so they spend most of the day on their arse.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived